• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Scrub Jays in Washington State (2 Viewers)

Caren216

I have just seen Scrub Jays in my yard in Seattle, WA. This is the first time in my life I have seen them and I have lived here for 54 years. Are they suppose to be in Washington or is it a fluke? Are they migrating?

According to Opperman (Birder's Guide to Washington) Western Scrub Jays are fairly common in the lowlands of the southwest part of the state but they're spreading and have been recorded north to Seattle, west to Raymond and east to Goldendale.

The Ebird map suggests a general spread from the southwest over recent years too.

According to the field guides, Seattle is just outside normal Scrub-jay range. So your bird's maybe just an outlier or stray. Scrub-jays are non-migratory, though in Reno (where I live) there are regular short-term movements onto lower ground in the fall.

Edit: Oops, I see you've already had better info on this from Andrew Whitehouse.

Last edited:
They are very common and Portland and SE Wash State.... Climate is changing.... They are moving a bit north perhaps. Climate changes from yr to yr so minor range/migration just happens but interesting u hvnt seen in 54 yrs! Enjoy em...

Thank you for the information. They sure are pretty! My husband started seeing Scrub Jays around town three years ago and kept telling me about them. So they finally found my feeders so I could see them too.

They might have been around all along and you were not aware of it. I might have seen some around the base of Mt Rainier before...I can't remember...Western Scrub Jays, right?

I was unaware of scrub jays in Seattle until I'd seen them (I thought) for the first time last year in the Columbia Gorge. A few months later, I spotted one, just once, outside my window. I guess anything is much easier to notice once you've become familiar with it.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back