• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Scratches on lenses - Should I replace? (2 Viewers)

Risky spending that much on any brand without trying. Optics aside. Will they fit your hands well, your eye sockets well, if you use glasses, will they give good eye relief etc. Swaro or not, no guarantee any will feel good until you try. If no stores nearby, can you find some local birders who have some different models to try?

Safest to buy brand new from refundable sellers when you are inexperienced with premium brands. Only keep something if you like it and want to keep using it. You could even wait till travelling somewhere eg NYC and try things before buying. It took me a year from trying to buying.

The best thing Vortex has going for it is the good warranty.
And that warranty is not as good when taking a closer look. In Germany for example it only applies when buying from their official website store.
And other companies offer great warranty, too. Like DDoptics, one of my personal favourite brands who offers a 30 year warranty on all their products and you don't even need a buying receipt or be the first owner. So I just hope they'll still be around when I turn 76. Lol

Maybe I'm missing something , If the repair is going to be payed for by the seller wouldn't that be the way to go ? You would get updated lenses and
chances are Swarovski will clean and check collimation .

Maybe I'm missing something , If the repair is going to be payed for by the seller wouldn't that be the way to go ? You would get updated lenses and
chances are Swarovski will clean and check collimation .
Hi albie. Just a quick one, aside from lens scratches! How are you getting on with the 8x30 eii's these days? Just wondering how they compare to the modern competition, your old thread on cloudy nights still has the odd viewer! Thank you. Will

Hi albie. Just a quick one, aside from lens scratches! How are you getting on with the 8x30 eii's these days? Just wondering how they compare to the modern competition, your old thread on cloudy nights still has the odd viewer! Thank you. Will
Unfortunately both EII's were sold due to my astigmatism and the need to wear glasses otherwise I would still have them . I replaced them with a Nikon MHG 8x42 . I am finding the MHG much more comfortable to use with glasses .
Those Swarovski lenses look like they were cleaned in a sand storm :eek:

Unfortunately both EII's were sold due to my astigmatism and the need to wear glasses otherwise I would still have them . I replaced them with a Nikon MHG 8x42 . I am finding the MHG much more comfortable to use with glasses .
Those Swarovski lenses look like they were cleaned in a sand storm :eek:
Thanks Albie. That's a shame but good you can keep using the mhg's. Looks like a lovely glass but tricky to get a try with in the usual places. I think I've read every review going so just wanted to check in with a long term owner.

Thanks again.

Will

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back