• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Scratches on lenses - Should I replace? (1 Viewer)

NGK808

United States
Hello, new member here from Hawaii.

I've been trying to find some feedback on an issue I have, and it seems like a lot of expert opinions on binoculars are here in this forum.

I recently bought a used pair of Swarovski SLC 10x42s from a reputable member of the archery forum I'm a part of. I wanted to upgrade my current binos for archery and hunting purposes.

Upon receiving them, I noticed a fair amount of light and some heavy scratches on the ocular and objective lenses (pictures attached). I'm wondering how likely it is that these are affecting the image quality. I've never looked through a high end pair of binos before, so I have nothing to compare it to. I can say that I don't see any fuzzy spots or anything glaringly wrong with the image when I look through them, but I can say I wasn't as impressed with the image quality as I expected given my jump up from Vortex Diamondbacks.

Swarovski is going through some changes, and they won't accept repairs until September 6th. Trying to do my homework until then to see if these are worth sending in for repairs. Any help is appreciated!

Attachments

• IMG_3267.jpg
    IMG_3267.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 82
  • IMG_3268.jpg
    IMG_3268.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 89
  • IMG_3269.jpg
    IMG_3269.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 83
  • IMG_3270.jpg
    IMG_3270.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 84
Are they in warranty still? Then yes i think worth a service now better than later.
I don't think they are. I'm at least the 3rd owner now, and don't have the warranty info. I think scratches on the glass would be paid out of my own pocket anyway (as far as I know).

I don't think they are. I'm at least the 3rd owner now, and don't have the warranty info. I think scratches on the glass would be paid out of my own pocket anyway (as far as I know).
I think you're right, and there'd be no actual warranty issue when it comes to physical damage.

I'd be tempted to find out how much it would cost before making a decision, especially if it doesn't hurt the view through them. One thing I'm hoping, is that you got a price that reflected the damaged lenses, particularly with lenses being exactly what binoculars are all about.

I think you're right, and there'd be no actual warranty issue when it comes to physical damage.

I'd be tempted to find out how much it would cost before making a decision, especially if it doesn't hurt the view through them. One thing I'm hoping, is that you got a price that reflected the damaged lenses, particularly with lenses being exactly what binoculars are all about.
Swaro customer service quoted me $200 to $300 to replace all lenses. If I just replaced the oculars, maybe it would be about half of that?

From my research, I think I got a good deal on the binos. $850 including fees and shipping. So the repair costs are less painful, but still an unwelcome surprise.

Swaro customer service quoted me $200 to $300 to replace all lenses.
For that price, on such a nice set of binoculars, I'd send them in as soon as I could, but now that I see some of the more recent posts by more knowledgeable members, I'm editing this to signify that I stand by my original opinion, but only if the seller is either willing to pay for it, or give you a partial refund to reflect the damages.

Also appears that your thought on getting only one set of lenses replaced in order to reduce the repair costs would be a viable solution, with the oculars being the most important.

Last edited:
The reason I asked about warranty was not that scratches are covered, but that they will service the entire remaining binocular and cover any other unexpected faults.

That is a steep price for an old beaten pair imo, 30 years old if you are saying it is out of warranty. If the seller is truly reputable, it shouldn’t be a problem to return it for refund.

Next thing you’ll know, is swaro will tell you there are more faults that cost more to fix and you’ll have a worse time than you expected.

Well if the view is not that much better than the diamondback (according to your observations) it could be that the current glass if 30 years old does not have the updated coatings, (Swarovski will likely replace the lens with ones with updated coatings) for the listed price range provided.
Good Luck with your decision.

The reason I asked about warranty was not that scratches are covered, but that they will service the entire remaining binocular and cover any other unexpected faults.

That is a steep price for an old beaten pair imo, 30 years old if you are saying it is out of warranty. If the seller is truly reputable, it shouldn’t be a problem to return it for refund.

Next thing you’ll know, is swaro will tell you there are more faults that cost more to fix and you’ll have a worse time than you expected.
Sorry, I'm not familiar with their warranty. When I said "out of warranty", I meant I don't have the information and it's not registered to me. I don't think they are over 30 years old.

I may negotiate a return to the seller. I wanted to get some informed opinions on how severe the lens scratches look, and if it's worth it to fix. Thank you for your feedback!

Sorry, I'm not familiar with their warranty. When I said "out of warranty", I meant I don't have the information and it's not registered to me. I don't think they are over 30 years old.

I may negotiate a return to the seller. I wanted to get some informed opinions on how severe the lens scratches look, and if it's worth it to fix. Thank you for your feedback!
Did you ask the seller for photos and ask about scratches ? That is the first question a buyer should ask.
What I see is excessive and the binoculars are not worth $850 in that condition. I would never be pleased with those as is. The cost to replace would make them over the top of what they are worth. Scratches on ocular lenses are the ones that harm the view the most. Objective scratches much less so.
You will need to get your negotiating skills in order. Shipping costs are spendy either way.
Good luck.
Jerry

Some light marks shouldn't make a difference but there looks to be a fair bit of reasonably deep scratches on those as well as a lot of smaller ones- the lights going to be doing a bit of bouncing around that it shouldn't be. It also speaks of one of the owners not treating them especially carefully so there may be other damage. I would ask the seller to see if you can send them back before going to deep with repairing them yourself.

Did you ask the seller for photos and ask about scratches ? That is the first question a buyer should ask.
What I see is excessive and the binoculars are not worth $850 in that condition. I would never be pleased with those as is. The cost to replace would make them over the top of what they are worth. Scratches on ocular lenses are the ones that harm the view the most. Objective scratches much less so.
You will need to get your negotiating skills in order. Shipping costs are spendy either way.
Good luck.
Jerry
The binos were posted with pictures and a description of being in “very good condition”. Me not asking for more details and closer pictures was my fault. The pictures he did post, I could not see the scratches.

As some background, he’s been a long time member on the forum with a lot of positive feedback from sales. I guess I didn’t do more homework since I trusted him because of this. However, he outright offered to pay for the $200-$300 repair costs I mentioned to him without me asking, so I’m sure he’d be agreeable to a return/refund. I think I’ll go in that direction, since another member here helped me look up the serial number and the binos were made in 1994. Pretty old, and wouldn’t compare to a newer pair.

Thanks for your feedback. I’ll be much more informed buying my next pair.

The binos were posted with pictures and a description of being in “very good condition”. Me not asking for more details and closer pictures was my fault. The pictures he did post, I could not see the scratches.

As some background, he’s been a long time member on the forum with a lot of positive feedback from sales. I guess I didn’t do more homework since I trusted him because of this. However, he outright offered to pay for the $200-$300 repair costs I mentioned to him without me asking, so I’m sure he’d be agreeable to a return/refund. I think I’ll go in that direction, since another member here helped me look up the serial number and the binos were made in 1994. Pretty old, and wouldn’t compare to a newer pair.

Thanks for your feedback. I’ll be much more informed buying my next pair.
Good for you. It is good you dealt with a guy that is honest. You were treated well.
Jerry

Send back. Too much money for the damage. Stay with Vortex, upgrade to one of their better ones. Lifetime no fault, no matter who did it warranty. You'll never be without a binoculars.

Might be illustrative (heh, heh) to shine a bright flash light through the objectives and move the light around to see the extant of the damage to the coatings. Do the observation from sort of the side of the eyepiece to keep the light be hitting the eye directly. In some ways when looking at the reflection off the lenses, I did wonder if there was foliage or something that might be reflected in the eyepieces. Regards, Pat

Send back. Too much money for the damage. Stay with Vortex, upgrade to one of their better ones. Lifetime no fault, no matter who did it warranty. You'll never be without a binoculars.
Would you say the higher-end Vortex are comparable to the Swaro SLC's? There are no local shops for me to try any higher end binos, so I wouldn't be able to see for myself.

Update to everyone here: The seller agreed for a return, refund, and he's going to pay for the return shipping. Stand-up guy from beginning to end.

Thank you to everyone here who helped me make the best decision, and learn a lot about binos in the process.

If anyone has recommendations on which binos to look for from here on out, I'm all ears. Seems like newer SLC's in good condition are more in the range of $1400. Should I go in that direction, or maybe consider any alternatives (like the Vortex Razor HD or UHD)?

There are no local shops for me to try any higher end binos, so I wouldn't be able to see for myself.
Start shopping and keep on doing research, then buy some of the safer choices used, which you can then resell if you decide they're not for you. I've got an ever growing stack of binoculars, and plan on selling off many of them once I've decided which ones are the best fit for me.

Update to everyone here: The seller agreed for a return, refund, and he's going to pay for the return shipping. Stand-up guy from beginning to end.

Thank you to everyone here who helped me make the best decision, and learn a lot about binos in the process.

If anyone has recommendations on which binos to look for from here on out, I'm all ears. Seems like newer SLC's in good condition are more in the range of $1400. Should I go in that direction, or maybe consider any alternatives (like the Vortex Razor HD or UHD)?
I like the idea of staying with the Swarovski SLC HD, they are very good. Vortex is a step below and the best they have
is considered mid-range. The best thing Vortex has going for it is the good warranty. But they cut corners in their build
and prices are placed where they can come out.
Jerry

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back