• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Rio grande do sul in december (1 Viewer)

JackTheSnipe

Hi birdwatchers
i am going to visit Caxias do Sul in the state Rio grade do sul in the upcoming december (20.12-06.01.14) and i was searching for birding sites near this town for a while but couldnt find some detailed infos. I would be glad to get some information for this region. I bought the book A Birdwatching Guide to South-East Brazil but didnt recived it yet. At the moment i know about the great bird watching conditions of the patrados the serra national park and lagoa de peixe and also about the pampas grasslands.
Feel also free to post information about some distance spots (Have someone visited the Pantanal region during this time? i heard about many mosquitos and bad birding conditions due to the heavy rain)

Thank you for your posts!
With best regards JackTheSnipe

I bought the book A Birdwatching Guide to South-East Brazil but didnt recived it yet.
I'm not certain, but I suspect that A Birdwatching Guide to South-East Brazil relates to the Sudeste region, but not to Sul (the states of Paraná, Santa Catarina and Rio Grande do Sul). Hopefully someone can clarify...

Hi JacktheSnipe,

Lagoa do Peixe was one of the first places I ever went birding - I recommend. There are a lot of productive places to go birding down there.

One easy route is to stay at Mostardas - from there go in a rectangle: east down to the coast, south along the beach, west up the next road a few miles away, north back along the main highway to Mostardas (best driven).

The roads perpendicular to the beach, surrounded by flooded fields, have an abundance of bird life - definitely start at dawn, for all the raptors. You can get taxis down there or walk or ask at the bird/tourist centre and they'll do you a driver + 4wd. The dunes approaching the beach have a big variety of different waders etc and the beach itself has skimmers gulls etc.

But try other places further down the coast and across the main road (which is drier and the water is no longer brackish) for rheas, parrots etc.

Although it doesn't look it on the map, it's a long way from where you will be based (which has a whole bunch of different birds). Some pics here: http://monacoeye.com/birds/index_files/category-lagoa-do-peixe.php?blocations

While Caxias do Sul is quite a long ways from Lagoa do Peixe, if you have access to a car it is not too far from Vacaria (see Minn's notes mentioned above), São Francisco de Paula and Cambará do Sul (access to Aparados da Serra National Park). Check in Google Maps. In São Francisco de Paula the Hotel Veraneio Hempel is well known for the good birding in its private forest which can be visited by non-guests too. In Cambará do Sul the grounds of the Cambará Eco Hotel (quite good hotel) connect with a good araucária forest in the back with trails and lots of birds, a small marsh in front of the hotel near the road had a pair of Freckle-breasted Thornbirds when I was there last July. There is good roadside birding basically from S. F. de Paula to Cambará and from Cambará to the Aparados park which is also quite good (specially in week days when there are not as many visitors clogging the trails). The road going north from Cambará also has a few good birding spots within a half-hour drive from Cambará.

Thank you for this great information guys!!
We're going to rent a car in Caxias do Sul so Lagoa de Peixe will be no Problem. Tank you for the tipps with those Hotels, its good to have a adress when you want to drive somewhere.
Feel free to post more information especially about the direct surroundings of caxias do sul .
Did someone had problems with criminal people outside of towns?

On driving to Mostardas or Tavares (access towns to Lagoa do Peixe NP) remember that December is prime beach time in Brazil. So there will be lots of people (and cars) in the coastal towns, including more than the usual in Mostardas (which is a fairly remote place). The road out of Mostardas that George mentioned leads to the Balneário Mostardas, which is the beach access and where there are summer beach homes, some local homes etc. It is bound, in December, to have more car traffic than one would expect... It goes through a nice patch of coastal scrubby forest, some pine plantations and a large freshwater marsh. I posted to Birdforum a few videos taken at this marsh:
http://www.birdforum.tv/members/action/viewvideo/4181/Spectacled_Tyrant/
http://www.birdforum.tv/members/action/viewvideo/3977/Maguari_Stork/?vpkey=
http://www.birdforum.tv/members/action/viewvideo/3923/Giant_Wood_Rail/?vpkey=

Thanks again! prime beach time means more criminals and to many people for terns etc right?
I tried to follow your advances on google maps but i couldnt find the mentioned road ''south along the beach'' . There arent any roads or something like that around the most spots so how to get there? Even from the access towns Mostardas and Tavares i didnt find some roads to reach the NP. Thank you for your help, its really hard to get detailed information on the internet.

P.S dacol- thank you for those videos, looks great

Thanks again! prime beach time means more criminals and to many people for terns etc right?
I tried to follow your advances on google maps but i couldnt find the mentioned road ''south along the beach'' . There arent any roads or something like that around the most spots so how to get there? Even from the access towns Mostardas and Tavares i didnt find some roads to reach the NP. Thank you for your help, its really hard to get detailed information on the internet.

P.S dacol- thank you for those videos, looks great

Mostardas is a very quiet place. And I would say about as safe as you could get. I was literally the only birder in Mostardas when I visited. Two other backbackers turned up for a day on their way to Argentina.

They do have a "bird festival" but it was cancelled the year I went because someone had drunk all the funds. The "resort" (Balneiario Mostardense or something like that) was all closed down when I visited off season. There are a few people who go down there for something or other, so you get the odd car every half an hour, but no more than that. Of course if it's the holidays already then it might be a whole different story.

That is the end point of the road you take southeast from Mostardas, the last half of which is v good for birds. Literally a new bird every ten yards early on. That road is visible on Google Maps. It's called Estr. do Balneiario. There is also a bus that goes up and down once a day but it was not early enough for me (you could take it back). Also very resonable to get a taxi driver to drop you off and pick you up later.

So there was pretty much no one around. And no-one at all on the beach. We drove down the beach once - (the guide did) there's no road. I asked how environmentally friendly it was and he explained that's just what they use instead of a road. I guess there's not much traffic. So there are a few terns, oystercatchers etc. We just stopped a few times for me to take pics, but if you were walking it you could have a look at the back of the beach where you would be sure to find more activity.

Now the road back up from the beach, back up to the main road RS 101, you can just make out on the satellite view if you zoom in - it's not on the map view. It meets the 101 half way between Mostardas and Tavares (Tavares is also good starting point for birding), it looks like a skinny white line about 7 km south of Mostardas, but you can't really see where it hits the dunes because the sand is so white. That road is again very good for birds, especially just behind the beach.

On the beach you have to cross quite a few inlets. We just drove across them in the 4wd but you'd probably get your feet wet walking. Likewise on the road back up to the 101, there were big puddles for some stretches but nothing too serious. Apparently in the rainy season though, you shouldn't try it. You could also stay in Tavares and approach this road from there. Might be easier.

Another place: if you get to the point that sticks into the Lagoa dos Patos (freshwater I think), about 10 km north of Tavares (Lagunas do Lavagem and Sumidouro), that shoreline was like a snail kite motorway in the evenings. I was literally seeing one come past every 30 seconds at one point. Also good for various other birds - South American Snipe etc.

Last edited:
I would like to clarify that I agree with what George wrote. Probably Dec-Feb. the Balneário Mostardas is going to have a few hundred people more than during the off-season. In July there was about a car every half an hour or so along the Balneario road, thus I would expect during beach season to have perhaps a car every 5-10 minutes. The satellite option in Google maps shows you the size of the Balneário. Certainly it doesn't look like the population would swell up to thousands. When I went we drove (my wife and I) down from Cambará do Sul to Capão da Canoa and then along the coast to Cidreira and then west to join RS 101 that goes to Mostardas. I wouldn't recommend that coastal drive in December. It was congested in July (winter) and I would expect it to be very congested in December. Regarding crime. This would be more of a concern in Caxias do Sul or Pôrto Alegre than either in Cambará do Sul or Mostardas. In the Lagoa do Peixe area I suggest that you reserve at least one day to go out with a guide in a 4x4 and then do some exploring on your own. Regarding guides there is a very good one in Tavares but he is much more expensive than the few others either in Mostardas or Tavares. But he knows where to find the local specialties and has sound recordings and playback equipment and is, obviously, used to take birders and bird photographers around. His name is João Batista and he owns the Hotel Parque da Lagoa in Tavares. In July he was charging Re$400 (about 250 US then) to take you out all day in a Land Rover. He understands some English. Most birders hire him. The e-mail is [email protected]
George outlined how the area is birded: from the roads and the beach. The national park consists of the namesake lagoon and a small strip of land around it, the rest of the area is private property. There are no visitor facilities whatsoever in the NP (unlike Aparados da Serra that is more like what most people (in the USA say) would expect a NP to be).

Last edited:
Good evening guys!
I really forgot to say ''Thank you'' for the last two posts.
As i am a student i need to use the cheapest possibilites for car rent or accommodation. Do you got some advide using the cheaptest options on a brazil trip? I only found rly expensive guides in the area of rio grande do sul or Iguazu, are there any possibilites to get a cheaper guide?
My question about a visit of the Pantanal area had not recived any reply so i'll ask again if someone knows about the birding conditions during december/january?
I often read about the bad street conditions and about the long driving time you will need due to this fact, do you think that visiting Iguazu, Lagoa de Peixe Area and the area of caxias do sul could be done in about three weeks? If three weeks are enough, could you recommend one spot which a birder should really visit during his stay (reachable by plane or car)?

You said you were visiting Caxias do Sul and you have 3 weeks. So the first question you have to ask yourself is how long you plan to be in C. do S. When you ask about the "one spot which a birder should visit", are you talking about Rio G. do Sul or Brazil as a whole? If the latter, it is a much more difficult question. My answer would be south east Brazil (Sao Paulo, Rio de Janeiro and Espirito Santo states) given the number of endemic species in this area. Some of those, as well as a large number of Atlantic forest species, can be seen in places much closer to Caxias do Sul though.

Regarding the Pantanal, which is a very large area, the bulk of the rains fall between November and March. The Northern Pantanal, the area that is reached by flying to Cuiabá, floods first and should be getting quite wet by December. In fact many, but certainly not all, of the lodges in that region close between December and February. The Southern Pantanal, the area reached from Campo Grande in Mato Grosso do Sul state floods later. In fact when the flood reaches its peak in the south the Northern Pantanal is in the beginning of its dry season. However in December all of it is bound to be very hot and very humid with lots of biting insects. Also the frequent rains can make the unpaved roads in the best wildlife areas not passable by common cars. Thus it is probably not the best time to go but I have no direct experience at that time of the year. The overwhelming majority of the birders visit during the dry season.

If you must be in Caxias do Sul for sometime and plan to rent a car, I would make the following suggestion: read the write-ups for Rio Grande do Sul, Santa Catarina and Paraná states in the web site quoted by Guy Kirwan in one of the above posts ( http://ricksimpson.wordpress.com/jeremy-minns-site-notes/ ). For example, with a rental car, from Caxias do Sul you go to Sao Francisco de Paula, Cambara do Sul e Aparados da Serra NP, birding along the way whenever possible. Then south to Lagoa dos Peixes. This would take a week at least. Then back to Porto Alegre and fly to Curitiba, rent a car in Curitiba and visit sites between Curitiba in Paraná and Joinville in Santa Catarina. Then fly to Foz do Iguaçu, do what you want to do there, remember that is easier to bird in the Argentinian Iguazu National Park than in the Brazilian side. This could take another week at least. After that fly to wherever your international flight departs. You can save a lot of money on the flights by purchasing a Brazil Air Pass, has to be purchased in your home country, can't be purchased in Brazil. A cheaper but more time consuming option would be: take interstate bus service to Curitiba, rent a car in Curitiba as mentioned above, then take bus from Curitiba to Foz, then retrace your steps. You could also do a big driving loop: Caxias to Aparados area from there to the Joinville area and then back to Lagoa dos Peixes then back to Porto Alegre and then fly(or take the buses) to Foz and from there fly to wherever your international flight departs. One, seemingly logical option, turns out to be extremely expensive: renting a car in P. A. or Caxias and returning it in Curitiba. As far as I know this is possible but the rental agencies charge an enormous fee, basically you pay the expenses for one employee to go get the car and drive it back to the rental agency where you rented it!

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back