• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

RFI: Khao Yai / Kaeng Krachan (1 Viewer)

Good afternoon

I will be in Thailand in the period 22/12/2013 - 11/01/2014 and I'm busy finalizing the preparation.

I get lots of useful information from trip reports and the http://www.thaibirding.com/ but it still have some questions.

Khao Yai:
- Leech: at this period of year do we need leech socks?
- Accomodation: do you think it will be possible to stay inside the park without booking in advance? Or it's better anyway to stay outside?
- Ground-cuckoo: is there any new stakeouts for this species? It's still around the toilet block?

Kaeng Krachan
- Accomodation: do you think it will be possible to stay inside the park without booking in advance? Or it's better anyway to stay outside? We will not have our own tent.
- Scops-Owl: are the birds still around the stream 1?

I will for sure come back with some more questions. ;)

Thanks a lot for your help

Raphaël
Belgium

Hello :)

It should be dry, so not many leeches, but it depends how deep you want to go I think.
For accommodation in both places, you'll be fine camping but otherwise you should book - over new year Khao Yai will be packed with even camping getting limited. I suggest bookng early outside, or camping.

I'm not sure about the birds at the moment.

You can rent camping equipment at either camp within Kaeng Krachan. Booking not needed but do avoid weekends at both sites if you can.

KYNC:

- probably few leaches, but leech socks might be an idea for other biters. There are chiggars in the park which could potentially carry scrub typhus (though I am NOT aware of any cases).
-most birders seem to stay outside the park nowadays.
-no Ground-cuckoo stake-out. learn the call (do NOT use play back as the birds can be highly tape-sensitive) and try the radar road.

KKNP:
- if not visiting on a weekend or public holiday you can probably get a national park tent without booking.
- not sure about WFSO but they have certainly been regular at day roost over the last 2 years. Just look for the crowd of photographers!

Good afternoon

I will be in Thailand in the period 22/12/2013 - 11/01/2014 and I'm busy finalizing the preparation.

I get lots of useful information from trip reports and the http://www.thaibirding.com/ but it still have some questions.

Khao Yai:
- Leech: at this period of year do we need leech socks?
- Accomodation: do you think it will be possible to stay inside the park without booking in advance? Or it's better anyway to stay outside?
- Ground-cuckoo: is there any new stakeouts for this species? It's still around the toilet block?

Kaeng Krachan
- Accomodation: do you think it will be possible to stay inside the park without booking in advance? Or it's better anyway to stay outside? We will not have our own tent.
- Scops-Owl: are the birds still around the stream 1?

I will for sure come back with some more questions. ;)

Thanks a lot for your help

Raphaël
Belgium

"Kaeng Krachan" Visited this Saturday and the "White Fronted Scops Owls" where not at the usual roost to the right of stream 2. However they might be back when you arrive in Dec.

"Khao Yai" Bring Leech socks if you can find them in Europe. I've always struggled to find light weight ones in the UK. They sell them here in Thailand at "Big C" (supermarket chain) cheap and nice thin material.

"Khao Yai" Bring Leech socks if you can find them in Europe. I've always struggled to find light weight ones in the UK. They sell them here in Thailand at "Big C" (supermarket chain) cheap and nice thin material.

They sell leach socks at the park headquarters.

They sell leach socks at the park headquarters.

Yes they do, they are white and 50baht. However my recommendation is the Big-C version. Its nice thin material which in tropical climates can be useful. These are around 125baht so if you pass a big-C theirs are worth a look.
Oriental bird club sell leech socks from the UK but I found the material quite thick.

The WFSO havn't been at the usual place for a long time. They probably got fed up with the loads of photograpers standing under the tree every day.

I would strongly advise you to avoid either KY or KK at New Year - in fact from the weekend preceding New Year through to the end of the weekend after the New Year. It is a huge public holiday in Thailand and the camp grounds will be kicking. In practical terms too the roads in Thailand can be very busy and very dangerous over New Year - there is a lot of drunk driving and the roads can be slow and anarchic. Christmas in my experience is different - very quiet, usually, especially Kaeng Krachan - it isn't a holiday here whereas the New Year is. You might find the New Year ideal for doing Laem Pak Bia and the Inner Gulf - that's what I would do if I was you.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back