• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Review of 8x25 Victory Pocket (15 Viewers)

The VP 8x25 and the SFL 8x30 are quite different in use. I was pinning some hopes on the SFL 8x30 but for me the black outs / IPD settings did not work out at all for me with glasses. Size was perfect though.

I revisited the VP 8x25 as a sidekick to the SFL 8x40 which works a lot better for me than the SFL 8x30 in terms of eye placement. The VP 8x25 is one of the few binos that work exactly as well with or without glasses for me. In this aspect it is way better than the SFL 8x30 for me and my eyes. The optics are first rate and I have no complaints as to the performance. The VP 8x25 is a great all rounder but a little bit limited for me to serve as my go-to bino for everyday use.

For those that have used both the 8x25 VP and the Kowa Genesis 8x22 - which have you found to have the shorter/closer focus capability? I understand that when the VP works, its the best. I think I'd give up the better IQ and save a few $$ if the Kowa has a noticeably "better" close focus capability. (I think). (Slightly off topic here) - IQ would be VP > Kowa > Papillio? Trying to find the right set of compromises for me.

tx2ad,

For context, I own the 8x25 VP and Papillio 6.5. I also own and regularly use the Kowa Genesis 10.5x44 and have tried the 8.5 model for about a week. Have not tried to Kowa 8x22. If you haven't already, you might take a look at the 2018 review by Michael and Diane Porter of birdwatching.com of a number of "pockets" including the 8x22 Genesis and the VP.

I am also a fan of CF performance in an "all around" bin whether pocket or otherwise but without taking the time to parse, CF is third or fourth on the list for me. According to published specs CF on the VP is 5.9 feet while the Kowa is 4.7 feet. For us close focus fans that is a significant difference. However, In my experience and opinion the 10.5 Kowa is @ 80 to 90 % "as good" as comparable EL and UV HD+, but at half the MSRP and/or street price or less. So the more significant issue becomes, what is the current street price of the Kowa 8x22? Last I checked the MSRP was right up there with Leica, SW and Zeiss pockets as opposed to 50% or less like the full size Kowas. The 8x22 does appear to have been steeply discounted recently and if you look the 8x22 may be available for $400 to $450. According to the Porter review (FWIW) the Kowa finished last among the top 5 pockets in "Optics Score", and this in spite of its best CF and FOV equal to the VP.

(Slightly off topic here) - IQ would be VP > Kowa > Papillio? Trying to find the right set of compromises for me.

Based on my above experience and some extrapolation I agree with your ranking. Further, IMO the Papillio is a really great niche binocular primarily for ultra close viewing of stationary (flora, fauna, or museums) or slowly moving objects, less so as an all around bin.

Mike

Some years ago I had an unhappy experience with a pocket binocular having two loose hinges and one stiff focuser. I couldn’t move the latter without moving the former. It had to go and was replaced eventually by a Zeiss Victory Pocket 8x20 which was a much more satisfactory having only one firm hinge and a smooth, easy focuser. Much more recently Zeiss replaced the 8x20 with the Victory Pocket 8x25 and so did I. While I don’t use pocket binos as intensively as bigger binoculars I decided to do a mini-review of this compact newcomer.

The specification promises much as it surpasses the old 8x20 on two important counts: field of view is 130m/390’ compared with 118m/354’ and the official close focus is 1.9m/6.23’ compared with an official 2.6m/8.53’. I am indebted to Alexis for pointing out that he has measured the close focus of the old compact at 2.0 and in turn I have checked my Victory Pocket and is focuses down to 1.5m, so the official specifications are quite conservative. The Pocket also trounces Swarovski’s CL 8x25 whose field of view is almost exactly the same as the discontinued Zeiss Compact at 119m/357’ and it’s a similar story with the close focus with the CL at 2.5m/8.2’. Leica’s Ultravid 8x20 comes with the following: fov 113m/341’ and close focus 1.8m/6’.

But how compact are these pocket rockets? As it turns out the Swaro and Zeiss are fairly close at 110mm and 112mm respectively while as usual, Leica is the 'king of compact' at 93mm.

The retail prices in the UK show more differences though with the Zeiss the most expensive at £548 and the prices for the Swaro and Leica following almost in line with how their fields of view compare with the Zeiss at £515 for the Swarovski and £479 for the Leica. So if you take the price of the Leica and divide it by its fov in metres you find each metre costs £4.2389. Multiply this by the Zeiss’s 130m and you get £551 which is pretty close to the Zeiss’s street price of £548 which means, in field of view terms, you get your money’s worth with the Zeiss. A similar calculation for the Swaro would price it at £501 rather than its current street price over here of £515, but hey, Swaros have never been cheap.

Over in the USA things are very different. Here, the Zeiss is the least expensive at $750, with the Leica one step up at $779 and the Swarovski the dearest at $819.

What are the Zeiss’s like to use though? I would struggle to claim they looked brighter than the Victory 8x20s but my goodness what a difference the field of view makes. The old compacts had a fov of 6.73deg whereas the new pockets come in at 7.41deg. For a tourist these pockets put a lot of landscape or cityscape in front of your eyes and for me out on a marsh in east Suffolk, a huge amount of reed bed.

Scanning the tops of ancient oaks, still lacking leaves this early in the year, and checking for chromatic aberration against the bright but clouded sky, and I am struggling to find any. The merest scraping of it is there right at the edge of the field of view but this is a stellar performance.

Over the marsh, various Marsh Harriers were cruising at a medium height but over the wood on the hill called Dingle Dell there came a Common Buzzard. I really didn’t need to glass it as they are so familiar to us from a visits to Scotland, but I wanted to use the Pockets and my goodness I was glad that I did because the Buzzard performed a ‘sky dance’. This is where a bird of prey flies along then suddenly closes its wings and plummets down, only to spread them again and soar up to the same height on the momentum of the dive and then, without taking a breath they dive again, and again. The Buzzy did this 4 times in a row, something we have only seen once before and then it was performed by a Hen Harrier. The dark Buzzard didn’t have the slightest hint of CA as it switch-backed across the pale sky.

The following day, a glimpse out of our cottage’s back window revealed a Green Woodpecker on the ground only about 15 metres away digging in the sandy soil for ants and by the look of its tongue sliding back into its bill at intervals it was finding some. The nearest binos happened to be the Victory Pockets and through them the Woody’s black mask and vivid crimson crown and malar stripe were just stunning. Even its plain green plumage didn’t look plain at all but seemed full of subtle tones as the bird shifted, digging the ground like a manic pneumatic drill.

Using them like a tourist and having them in pocket or around my neck but tucked inside my gillet, they were light and with just the single hinge to manipulate they were quick on the draw.

The Pockets are an accomplished set of binoculars, bright and sharp, in fact for all practical purposes they were sharp right across the field and with excellent colour rendition and contrast. What’s not to like? The weird strap and the lack of a rainguard, that’s what, but these are easily remedied.

Folding pocket binos are still not my favourite format but these are excellent performers and worthy opponents of Swarovski’s excellent CL and Leica’s still-competitive Ultravid.

Lee

Note: Thanks to Alexis, the original text has been corrected in the light of new information concerning the close focus of the Victory Compact and Victory Pocket and the length of the Leica Ultravid.
hi any recommendations for a pair of winged eyecups in the uk for the victory pockets (?)
thanks

As my first post on this forum I wanted to chime in on the VP 8x25 which I bought recently.

I have been interested in quality binoculars for many years since being introduced to Swarovski about 30 years ago by a friend who worked in a camera shop. I have used an Opticron 8x42 and my father's old Zeiss 8x30 Porro since then. Recently I decided to get a top quality compact for travel and just having with me more easily. I had a look at the x20s from the top three many years ago and found them too difficult to use for a pleasurable viewing experience, despite being well designed and technically very good. I read so many good reports on the VP 8x25 that I had to give them a go. I compared them against the Swaro CL 8x30 and the latest Opticron Aurora 8x42 which are both respected and at a slightly higher price point. I was expecting the Swaro to beat it because of their reputation and wider objective lenses. I was however surprised. The Opticron had a lovely bright view almost free of CA, though the demo one had a stiff and rough focus wheel which I could not have accepted in actual use. The Swaro was a lovely package and nice enough optically but not as good as I expected e.g. CA was present even in the centre of the field. The VP was superb; brighter than I expected (not far off the Swaro), almost no CA - certainly less than the other two - and also plenty of contrast and detail with a neutral colour balance as far as I could tell. The field was also wider and brighter than I could have expected from such a small device. I'm not sure exactly what 'Alpha' means when referring to bins but I suspect something like this.

I wear glasses and like this the VP worked easily with eyecups left in, but I often prefer to use bins without and so I had to extend the eyecups and find a brace position on the eye sockets. This worked OK but I can see some people finding it fiddly. However, the rubber eyecups I added to the old Zeiss porros fitted perfectly and like that with the VP eyecups pushed back in I got the ideal eye position (i.e. seeing the full field but no blackouts) and with the added advantage of no stray light entering near the eye. With these eyecups the VPs are excellent and for those who complain about using it without glasses I highly recommend this solution as it adds very little weight or size (or cost ~£5) and certainly makes using them easier as well as providing a subjectively better view.

Now I need to find some objective covers (apparently some of the Opticron ones work very well though I haven't been able to work out exactly which ones yet) and a belt pouch that protects as well as taking the strap and rubber eyecups with the bins folded.

I have not had them long but last night watched a blackbird singing in a nearby tree at dusk and could see more colour and detail with the VP than with my old Opticron 8x42. This is amazing when you consider how much more light the 8x42 had to work with. I have not yet found anything to criticise with the view except perhaps that you need to be more careful to get the IPD correct than with a larger bin and there is sometimes a sense of semi-blackout if you look to the edge of the field in low light conditions unless your pupils are perfectly centred. Rubber eyecups do help keep the pupils in a consistent position though. From the point of view of performance they are superb and a big surprise. In terms of handling the focus wheel works smoothly and is geared well and the build quality is very nice except for one thing; I do not like the diopter adjustment which seems a bit cheap and is fiddly to use. I hope it is stronger than it looks.
hi which eyecups did you fit to the victory 8x25? im looking for a pair myself
👍

hi any recommendations for a pair of winged eyecups in the uk for the victory pockets (?)
thanks
I bought these:
Very quickly fitted to my pockets (mid-way through writing this post) they look like this:
1714579859544.png

Which somebody on some forum (possibly this one) had suggested, and I was happy with them...
Not sent from the UK but at £4.68 including delivery and VAT it's hard to worry about it...

Last edited:
I bought these:
Very quickly fitted to my pockets (mid-way through writing this post) they look like this:
View attachment 1576898

Which somebody on some forum (possibly this one) had suggested, and I was happy with them...
Not sent from the UK but at £4.68 including delivery and VAT it's hard to worry about it...
thanks for that jon555
looks like there from the land of the rising sun

@hopster,

Some pics below of the case I use with the VP and the Opticron compact rainguard which I trim down as shown on smaller pocket models. Opticron also make objective covers which fit the VP but I don't recall which model number. Got the case from a UK vendor, made by GEM. Made for small cameras it's a perfect fit for a fully accessorized VP either folded or adjusted for my IP. Belt loop, shoulder strap and a separate front zipper pocket for a complete grab and go package.

About the diopter, IME it's best to use a case in the field with enough room to easily remove and replace the VP set at your proper IPD. I think some of the unintentional diopter shifting and knob popping off are caused by quickly removing/replacing the VP in a tight fitting case with the bins carried full folded. When set to IP rather than folded the diopter knob is more protected. Never had a problem with it in @ 4+ years of regular use.

No affiliation and glad you are enjoying your VP.

Mike
hi mike, do you happen to know which gem case this is ? im after one myself ... is it the case advertised for the canon powershot G10 from amazon (?)
thanks

hi mike, do you happen to know which gem case this is ? im after one myself ... is it the case advertised for the canon powershot G10 from amazon (?)
thanks
glassbottle,

I got my GEM case as pictured from James Barber in Peterborough Cambridgeshire. Currently listed on Ebay UK as "Custom Made Case for Fujifilm Finepix JX 200 Digital Camera" at just under 10 sterling. I did gradually and carefully stretch it out a bit with my hands to ease the fit.

Hope this helps.

Mike

glassbottle,

I got my GEM case as pictured from James Barber in Peterborough Cambridgeshire. Currently listed on Ebay UK as "Custom Made Case for Fujifilm Finepix JX 200 Digital Camera" at just under 10 sterling. I did gradually and carefully stretch it out a bit with my hands to ease the fit.

Hope this helps.

Mike
thanks for that ill have a look👍

mike , that size looks a bit too small to keep the victory pocket in the open position(?) the dimensions on that site quote Dimensions: 93mm x 55mm x 23mm
do you have yours in the folded position in that bag ?
thanks
Sorry glassbottle, you must be right. The pics of the ebay listing I found and referenced look identical to mine but I got mine several years ago and don't have the specific listing info any longer. In measuring mine just now, without the VP in the case, it's @ 148 mm (when adjusted for the length or height which is variable) x 113 mm, x 68mm. So it seems there is a larger version of the same case which is the version I have (?). Mine just fits the VP as pictured above including with all the accessories pictured and fully adjusted for my IP distance. Safest approach may be to call Barber.

Not to add to my confusion, but I have a vague recollection that something in the description of my version included the term "kangaroo".

Frustrating because IMO it's the ideal case for the VP equipped with Opticron lens covers, RYO harness, hand lanyard and the mini cleaning kit pictured.

Mike

Sorry glassbottle, you must be right. The pics of the ebay listing I found and referenced look identical to mine but I got mine several years ago and don't have the specific listing info any longer. In measuring mine just now, without the VP in the case, it's @ 148 mm (when adjusted for the length or height which is variable) x 113 mm, x 68mm. So it seems there is a larger version of the same case which is the version I have (?). Mine just fits the VP as pictured above including with all the accessories pictured and fully adjusted for my IP distance. Safest approach may be to call Barber.

Not to add to my confusion, but I have a vague recollection that something in the description of my version included the term "kangaroo".

Frustrating because IMO it's the ideal case for the VP equipped with Opticron lens covers, RYO harness, hand lanyard and the mini cleaning kit pictured.

Mike
yeh thanks anyway ill keep looking
👍

Users who are viewing this thread

Back