• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

R7 to be announced soon. (1 Viewer)

Been playing around with my R7 and happy to say that all my EF lenses are working fine with the free adapter (including my only non Canon lens - the Sigma 24-105 art). I will eventually switch to RF lenses but for now the EF lenses are fine. It is looking like my trusty 7D2 will have to go but will keep it for now.

That is good to hear Roy, my 7d2 has gotten me some nice pics, how is the eye af on that?
Not had chance to try it on birds yet but I am sure eye AF will be fine in the right situations. The one thing I am fully expecting is more consistent AF than the 7D2. I have had the 7D2 since it first came out in 2014 and must have taken around 100,000 shots with it including lots that have been publish in various magazines (inc shot of the day in the daily Telegraph) so not knocking it but things move on.

Not had chance to try it on birds yet but I am sure eye AF will be fine in the right situations. The one thing I am fully expecting is more consistent AF than the 7D2. I have had the 7D2 since it first came out in 2014 and must have taken around 100,000 shots with it including lots that have been publish in various magazines (inc shot of the day in the daily Telegraph) so not knocking it but things move on.
I was the same with my 7Dii, bought on thefirst day of issue. It went everywhere, coupled to my Sigma 150-600 Sport after I bought that in 2015. Got a lot of great results. Flight shots, particularly in the high winds of the autumn migration at Tarifa on my annual trip were very hit and miss though, as the bird bounced on the wind and the same gusts caught my lens hood. Keeping that centre cluster of focus points on the birds was a feat of endurance.

Since my R5 arrived (4 months after ordering, 3 weeks after its release) my 7Dii has lain forlorn in the cupboard. The R5 worked well with the Sigma, but after 4 months I splashed out and took the plunge with the RF 100-500, taking the hit on the full frame and reduced focal length, but a massive improvement in cropability. Another bonus is that the R5 and 100-500 weigh exactly half of the 7Dii Sigma Sport combo. the first time I went out with them it felt like I'd left the camera at home. Saying that I didn't mind the weight of the sigma when I was using it. Muscles develop. :)

I'm just back last month from Spain for the spring honey buzzard migration, my R5's first trip abroad since that damned Covid and the R5 was a revelation. Instead of 90% missed focus on flying birds in gale force winds, the percentage was reversed and I came back with thousands of in-focus shots, many of which I binned just to reduce the numbers. That eye detection was a dream. (pics below).

I'm now suffering the frustration to see if I'm in the next batch for R7 deliveries. I ordered from WEX at 10am on the first day, but that still wasn't early enough for a delivery this week. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. When the R7 arrives it will be my bird camera, with the R5 for landscapes, events, people and stuff that I used to do with a 5D iv (recently sold to make way for the R7). That extra reach with the eye detect will be a killer when I go back in the autumn for the outward migration.

Attachments

• Lesser-Kestrel-(5)-fbook.jpg
    Lesser-Kestrel-(5)-fbook.jpg
    564.7 KB · Views: 81
  • Lesser-Kestrel-(56)-fbook.jpg
    Lesser-Kestrel-(56)-fbook.jpg
    710.4 KB · Views: 74
  • Honey-Buzzard-(67)-Punta-Camorro-'Big-Day',-15,000-honeys-arrived-fbook.jpg
    Honey-Buzzard-(67)-Punta-Camorro-'Big-Day',-15,000-honeys-arrived-fbook.jpg
    710.6 KB · Views: 85
  • Honey-Buzzard-(74)-Punta-Camorro-'Big-Day',-15,000-honeys-arrived-fbook.jpg
    Honey-Buzzard-(74)-Punta-Camorro-'Big-Day',-15,000-honeys-arrived-fbook.jpg
    528.7 KB · Views: 84
  • Honey-Buzzard-(193)-La-Peña-fbook.jpg
    Honey-Buzzard-(193)-La-Peña-fbook.jpg
    545.5 KB · Views: 85
I was the same with my 7Dii, bought on thefirst day of issue. It went everywhere, coupled to my Sigma 150-600 Sport after I bought that in 2015. Got a lot of great results. Flight shots, particularly in the high winds of the autumn migration at Tarifa on my annual trip were very hit and miss though, as the bird bounced on the wind and the same gusts caught my lens hood. Keeping that centre cluster of focus points on the birds was a feat of endurance.

Since my R5 arrived (4 months after ordering, 3 weeks after its release) my 7Dii has lain forlorn in the cupboard. The R5 worked well with the Sigma, but after 4 months I splashed out and took the plunge with the RF 100-500, taking the hit on the full frame and reduced focal length, but a massive improvement in cropability. Another bonus is that the R5 and 100-500 weigh exactly half of the 7Dii Sigma Sport combo. the first time I went out with them it felt like I'd left the camera at home. Saying that I didn't mind the weight of the sigma when I was using it. Muscles develop. :)

I'm just back last month from Spain for the spring honey buzzard migration, my R5's first trip abroad since that damned Covid and the R5 was a revelation. Instead of 90% missed focus on flying birds in gale force winds, the percentage was reversed and I came back with thousands of in-focus shots, many of which I binned just to reduce the numbers. That eye detection was a dream. (pics below).

I'm now suffering the frustration to see if I'm in the next batch for R7 deliveries. I ordered from WEX at 10am on the first day, but that still wasn't early enough for a delivery this week. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. When the R7 arrives it will be my bird camera, with the R5 for landscapes, events, people and stuff that I used to do with a 5D iv (recently sold to make way for the R7). That extra reach with the eye detect will be a killer when I go back in the autumn for the outward migration.
Some great captures there with the eye nailed on all of them.
I pre-ordered the R7 from WEX around 8 ish on the first morning so was lucky to be near the front of the list. I have been very near to pulling the trigger on a R5 several times but in the end I decided that it would not have been for me (for birds) as I am most always reach limited as most of my shots are of birds in the estuary so often a long way off. I do very little landscape an stuff like that. I did have a Sigma 150-600 C which was very good value for money but in the end I got a 100-400 mk2 so the Siggy had to go. I may well end up with a RF 100-500 but for now I will use the 100-400 and maybe buy the Cheapie 800/11 for record shots. For general snapping I still use the 5D3 but could well end up with something like the R6.

I pre-ordered the R7 from WEX around 8 ish on the first morning so was lucky to be near the front of the list. I have been very near to pulling the trigger on a R5 several times but in the end I decided that it would not have been for me (for birds) as I am most always reach limited as most of my shots are of birds in the estuary so often a long way off. I do very little landscape an stuff like that. I did have a Sigma 150-600 C which was very good value for money but in the end I got a 100-400 mk2 so the Siggy had to go. I may well end up with a RF 100-500 but for now I will use the 100-400 and maybe buy the Cheapie 800/11 for record shots. For general snapping I still use the 5D3 but could well end up with something like the R6.
What convinced me that the R5 would do for birds was the facility (which I almost never use) to dial in a 1.6 crop. Even cropped 1.6 the image was something like 17.6MP, very close to the original 7D's 18MP, so I reasoned that it was good enough. That's also what turned me OFF the R6. 20MP just wouldn't crop enough for my liking.

What convinced me that the R5 would do for birds was the facility (which I almost never use) to dial in a 1.6 crop. Even cropped 1.6 the image was something like 17.6MP, very close to the original 7D's 18MP, so I reasoned that it was good enough. That's also what turned me OFF the R6. 20MP just wouldn't crop enough for my liking.
Yes I knew the R5 would give 17.6 MP when in crop mode but as I often crop my 7D2 image fairly heavily I would be losing a mega load of pixels from the R5. The R7 is equivalent to a 82.2 MP full frame in terms of 'reach'.

Yes I knew the R5 would give 17.6 MP when in crop mode but as I often crop my 7D2 image fairly heavily I would be losing a mega load of pixels from the R5. The R7 is equivalent to a 82.2 MP full frame in terms of 'reach'.
Me too, but my reasoning was that if I could crop 18MP with the 7D, the millions of pixels I'd be 'losing' to get the same result at the same range with the R5 was playing a draw. The R7 will sort out that conundrum. :)

Got mine this morning after the delivery driver failed to find my house (their version is they attempted to deliver but nobody was in and they left a card - I was in watching the door like a hawk all day and they certainly didn't) and left it at the Post Office down the road instead.

Battery charging now, slight hiccough in that I realised rather late that I don't have SD cards, so two en route from Amazon due later today. Probably test in the field tomorrow after playing in the house later.

John

I wish I'd been as quick off the mark. I ordered a little before 10 on the same day, only a couple of hours after you. My understanding was that shipments came in roughly fortnightly, so I've given it a couple of weeks. I've just got off the phone with Wex and I'll be waiting a little longer yet. Shipments are only in very, very small numbers and they are expecting their next one in 'mid-July', so fingers crossed for then. Canon have been caught on the hop with the huge demand and they just haven't made the bodies. It's R5 all over again.

They announced that a free mount adapter would be shipped with the camera 'while stocks last' when the camera was released. Well the situation is that stocks haven't lasted and Canon have already withdrawn that offer. Good job I've got one for my R5, although a 2nd one would have been handy, so I could use the R5 with my EF 70-200 for stills , while setting up the R7 with my EF24-105 for simultaneous video of the same subject (not birds obviously)..

Starting to get the hang of the R7, just need to get used to the various buttons and wheels so I can quickly change things.. Must say with the amazing eye focus the hit rate is off the scale compared to the 7D2. Attached is a Long-tailed tit snap I got in the garden today - heavy crop taken with the EF 100-400 mkII.

Attachments

• 0E4A0662.jpg
    0E4A0662.jpg
    348.6 KB · Views: 82
That’s a pretty good level of detail for a heavy crop Roy. Are you finding you are keeping a lot more of your pics with the R7 than the 7d2? It seems the lens ef lens converter is working well?

That’s a pretty good level of detail for a heavy crop Roy. Are you finding you are keeping a lot more of your pics with the R7 than the 7d2? It seems the lens ef lens converter is working well?
As long as the eye is visible you are just about guaranteed to have a sharp in focus shot with the R7 (unless of course the bird suddenly goes to move out of frame and your shutter speed is not set-up for a quick moving subject) . I have had my 7D2 since it came out in 2014 and love it to bits but the AF can always be a bit hit and miss - that is why I have always shot in high burst mode so it heightens the chances of at least one in focus. The keeper rate of the R7 compared to the 7D2 is off the scale for sure.
As far as EF lenses goes they all work fine (inc my only non Canon lens the Sigma 24-105 art lens). I have not been able to get out in the field yet so just snapping in the garden - attached is a greenfinch with the R7 - again very heavily cropped.

Attachments

• AIR goldie edit3.jpg
    AIR goldie edit3.jpg
    392.1 KB · Views: 48
This a near 100 percent crop (around 3mp) from the R7 and EF 100-400 MkII - handheld. Please click to enlarge for best details.
Not great I know but well useable for social media posting IMHO. Sorry for another garden bird but I cannot get out much at the moment.

Attachments

• AIR dunnock heavy crop.jpg
    AIR dunnock heavy crop.jpg
    419.2 KB · Views: 62
This a near 100 percent crop (around 3mp) from the R7 and EF 100-400 MkII - handheld. Please click to enlarge for best details.
Not great I know but well useable for social media posting IMHO. Sorry for another garden bird but I cannot get out much at the moment.
For a change from the garden here's the Turkestan Shrike with the R7 cropped to about 3meg. (I posted one elsewhere on here but I think it will bear another view ;) )

I'm also fiddling about with buttons to get the options I want and I'm going out to see if the latest iteration works in a bit. Thanks to those posting videos, I've found them very useful.

20220704 (5)_Turkestan_Shrike.JPG

John

For a change from the garden here's the Turkestan Shrike with the R7 cropped to about 3meg. (I posted one elsewhere on here but I think it will bear another view ;) )

I'm also fiddling about with buttons to get the options I want and I'm going out to see if the latest iteration works in a bit. Thanks to those posting videos, I've found them very useful.

View attachment 1456609

John
Once you have settled on your button config, please post your findings on here. Still impatiently waiting for my R7 to arrive ...

Spent the afternoon at Thursley Moat rattling away at dragonflies in flight.

Changes to the buttons actually quite limited because I'm a small-c conservative.

- back button focus is set up when the camera arrives, on the AF-On button. Happy with it there now. The overall small size of the camera compared to the 7Dii is an issue for my big hands but many people will find it better for them.

- Changed the range of focus point options to just three: point, centre extending in each direction and all. Made the AF point button (lower of two, far right of back of camera) cycle through them. I did find being able to change that rapidly worked and enabled photos of perched stuff in clutter using the single point whereas either of the other two settings seemed to work on flying dragons.

- set star button to set AF point to centre but I'm not sure that actually helps at all. Might use this for something else in due course. Back to the drawing board.

Some photos from this afternoon below. Size of final images is reduced to 1200 X 800 but processed images vary from 2.4M for the White-legged Damselfly that intruded on the edge of something else through 5.4M for the flying Brown Hawker to 14.5M for the perched Downy Emerald.

The point about the flying Downy is simply that it is the far side of a branch but the AF stuck to it like glue.

John

20220708 (16)_White-legged_Damselfly.JPG20220708 (19)_Downy_Emerald.JPG20220708 (22)_Downy_Emerald.JPG20220708 (27)_Brown_Hawker.JPG

Here's the thing. What I want is to use the AF-on button for most of my active stuff, with the ability to cycle through the AF groups available on the second button, and a separate button (star) to do single point AF with no frills, up to me to keep it pointed at the spot. I'm not even sure if this is possible but any advice on set-up would be appreciated.

I'm just a birder who takes pictures.... any photographers got a clue about this?

John

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back