• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

R7 to be announced soon. (1 Viewer)

Crikey!
It's a full £1000 less than I thought/hoped it would be! There will be some serious compromises, I'm going to sit on the fence for quite some time.

Crikey!
It's a full £1000 less than I thought/hoped it would be! There will be some serious compromises, I'm going to sit on the fence for quite some time.
What I see here is British pricing that matches ROW for the first time in a cow's age. I didn't pay Wex's price for a 7DII at the outset because it was a rip off (and even a couple of years ago when I wanted a second such body I got it from a reputable grey importer for £900 when e.g. London Camera Exchange was trying to charge the same for a second hand one). For the R7 either Canon is conscious of competition - which is more serious than it ever was - or Wex is out to corner the market by garnering all the pre-orders, expecting to cash in on all the lenses etc.

John

If you're on a budget (& the Mk2 100-400 is out of that budget) there is nothing wrong with the Mk1. I'm still using mine & it does the job I want it to. Might not be as sharp as the Mk2 but it is a consideration, so don't dismiss it totally out of hand.

What I see here is British pricing that matches ROW for the first time in a cow's age. I didn't pay Wex's price for a 7DII at the outset because it was a rip off (and even a couple of years ago when I wanted a second such body I got it from a reputable grey importer for £900 when e.g. London Camera Exchange was trying to charge the same for a second hand one). For the R7 either Canon is conscious of competition - which is more serious than it ever was - or Wex is out to corner the market by garnering all the pre-orders, expecting to cash in on all the lenses etc.

John

Its not just WEX John, all the UK authorised Canon dealers have the same deal including the half price lexar cards and free EF-RF adaptor. Having said that I have pre-ordered from WEX .

Someone once told me that the first batches of cameras goes to WEX ,London camera exchange and Park cameras.

Has anyone here got the R7 with them yet? Or are they still being dispatched? Wondering if when I sell my 7d mark ii (when I get it obviously) if I should upgrade to the R7 or the R6, hopefully the R7 is just as good as the R6.

Has anyone here got the R7 with them yet? Or are they still being dispatched? Wondering if when I sell my 7d mark ii (when I get it obviously) if I should upgrade to the R7 or the R6, hopefully the R7 is just as good as the R6.
The first batches of the R7 will be available on the 23rd/24th of Jun so nobody has got one yet. The R6 and R7 are two completely different cameras meant for two different uses. The R7 has an APS-C sensor where as the R6 is full frame. Which is best depends entirely on your need - For wildlife if you are focal length limited then the R7 will help as it a 1.6x cropper so gives you more focal length but if you often get near to your target and use the camera for general photography then the R6 could well be best, many people will buy both. In general full frames are better Cameras.

There is a lot of ways to go in the modern world when you are looking at wildlife photography setups, I think I'm rushing in to this and need to have a think on what I will upgrade to after the 7d mark ii.

The first batches of the R7 will be available on the 23rd/24th of Jun so nobody has got one yet. The R6 and R7 are two completely different cameras meant for two different uses. The R7 has an APS-C sensor where as the R6 is full frame. Which is best depends entirely on your need - For wildlife if you are focal length limited then the R7 will help as it a 1.6x cropper so gives you more focal length but if you often get near to your target and use the camera for general photography then the R6 could well be best, many people will buy both. In general full frames are better Cameras.
Is it not fair to say that full frame cameras tend to cost a lot more than APS-C and that is why they are "better"?

Cheers

John

Is it not fair to say that full frame cameras tend to cost a lot more than APS-C and that is why they are "better"?

Cheers

John
In a different thread, I summarized the cameras reviewers pointed to in order to be able to say some other, full frame camera, was better than the OM1. Not one of those deemed better would cost less than twice the price of the OM1.
Niels

Wondering if when I sell my 7d mark ii (when I get it obviously) if I should upgrade to the R7 or the R6, hopefully the R7 is just as good as the R6.
You're debating upgrading a camera you don't even have yet? If this is the case, wouldn't it be better just to think about the best option now and skip getting a camera you don't want?

You're debating upgrading a camera you don't even have yet? If this is the case, wouldn't it be better just to think about the best option now and skip getting a camera you don't want?
It's more the price aspect, since it's my mum who's getting the 7d mkii for me, and I can't convince her to get me the R7 let alone the R6. Yes I was debating upgrading a camera I don't have yet, and in hindsight that was a bit of a stupid decision. I already know the 7dmkii performs well, since I used one last week, and I got some nice pictures.

It's more the price aspect, since it's my mum who's getting the 7d mkii for me, and I can't convince her to get me the R7 let alone the R6. Yes I was debating upgrading a camera I don't have yet, and in hindsight that was a bit of a stupid decision. I already know the 7dmkii performs well, since I used one last week, and I got some nice pictures.
Enjoy the new camera, it will take you time to master it, the results will follow. I'd say don't let update thoughts detract from the enjoyment of having a new camera :)

Besides, presumably you will not upgrade for quite some time (or will have a not very happy mother 😂), so the upgrade options will probably be very different then

John
My thoughts weren't about UK pricing John, that's pretty much fixed by Canon and the UK retailers won't have much if any room for manoeuvre.
I was hoping for a solid, weather proofed body, stacked 24 - 28mp sensor, a considerably bigger buffer and perhaps quad pixel af. I'd happily have paid an awful lot more for those features. It's not the 7D2 upgrade that I had in mind. The bar has been set a lot lower than it could have been and that is reflected in the price. It will no doubt do a job for many people. At the moment, the only back up I see for my R5 is another R5

Cheers

John
I think you've miss represented what he said here and perhaps you should re read what he did say. I can't even see where he mentions cost and certainly doesn't make the comparison to full frame being better due to that. Now someone had continued with this and mentioning the OM-1 which isn't even an APS-C camera.

I can totally relate to what he says as someone for the last 12 years has been using side by side a full frame and APS-C camera. The reason being is they each have their advantages and disadvantages and yes, in some areas, a full frame has been better. People get too precious about full frame or crop or micro 4/3. It's just a tool that does a job. As far as the OM-1 is concerned, it's a fantastic camera and is right up their with the Z9, A1, R5 etc but I'm guessing a high end full frame will have at least the advantage of ISO performance as someone who has regularly shot at 25600 and come out with very good images.

I was considering primes but I like having the ability to zoom in and zoom out. The mk2 seems to be the one that most people are suggesting and that is what I asked my dad to get me once I finished school. I do want to see how the files come out from some pictures before deciding though.
The RF 100-400 is cheap at £650 and super sharp and light weight: also focuses down to 0.8m plenty of examples here pewit

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back