• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Queensland Australia, practical info, esp car hire (1 Viewer)

njlarsen

Gallery Moderator
Opus Editor
Supporter
Barbados
Hi all,
I expect to be going to Queensland in August. Last time I visited Australia (Vic), I ended up renting a camper and stayed in campgrounds as opposed to a regular car + hotels. I assume that the same will be a good idea in Queensland, but the question then becomes: 4WD or not? In Victoria, there were definite reasons to get onto sandy roads and into non-blacktop parts of different parks, and to make sure the insurance was valid, I chose a 4WD campervan. Should I do the same thing in Queensland, or is it possible to get by with the cheaper option of a 2wd camper (costs about half).

thanks
Niels

PS I might add to this thread if more questions come up.

Went to Aus a few years ago, drove round Queensland and northern territory in a toyota lite ace van! No problems with the roads, but to be fair we never really went off the beaten track. Perhaps a 4 wheel drive in case? Camp and caravan sites everywhere of course. Have a great trip!

Same as Victoria but more so: you won't need 4WD but you will need to get off the bitumen from time to time. Depends on how you feel about the insurance, I think.

Thanks! I appreciate your answers!

I guess that I am mostly concerned that without insurance I would be liable for several thousands of AUD if anything should happen -- and if the weather is wet (for example) it would be better to know that I could go off bitumen even in that case. It is always very difficult to know the actual risk of something happening. Last time I was in Australia, I wondered why it was not possible to add off-bitumen insurance to a 2wd car by paying extra instead of keeping two separate categories.

cheers
Niels

Queensland

njlarsen said:
Thanks! I appreciate your answers!

I guess that I am mostly concerned that without insurance I would be liable for several thousands of AUD if anything should happen -- and if the weather is wet (for example) it would be better to know that I could go off bitumen even in that case. It is always very difficult to know the actual risk of something happening. Last time I was in Australia, I wondered why it was not possible to add off-bitumen insurance to a 2wd car by paying extra instead of keeping two separate categories.

cheers
Niels

Hi,

in Australia very often Car Rental give the risk of high value in case of accident ( I You are the blame or not ). I would not accept such a contract again. I You have an accident, Car rental take the money thats it. Police will not help you. Get the money back and clarify the blame is Your problem.
In Germany holidayautos give contract generally only with complete insurance. This holidayautos is not a Car rental, this is an agency company.

If You go until Cape Tribulation, ordinary car is ok. If You want continue, 4x4 is needed.

Best regards
Dieter

Sorry this has taken some time, things are busy these days.

Dieter, if you read this, I would like to hear what actually happened to you as a tale of warning.

thanks
Niels

Niels

Queensland is a large state, it would help people to give you advice if you could indicate what parts of the state you intend to visit.

Was in Cairns area for 4 weeks October/November 2005, used 2wd and even went off tarmac but was careful.

Robert

Robert L Jarvis said:
Niels

Queensland is a large state, it would help people to give you advice if you could indicate what parts of the state you intend to visit.

Was in Cairns area for 4 weeks October/November 2005, used 2wd and even went off tarmac but was careful.

Robert

I have three weeks going from Brisbane to Cairns, and probably overshooting Cairns a bit to e.g. the Daintree area.

thanks
Niels

Basically should have no problem with a 2wd just be careful and take it slow and easy. The roads can be very dusty give the vehicle a good clean before handing back. The rental company will try to get you to take out the extra insurance (CDW) by saying Kangaroos often jump out in front of you! In four weeks around Queensland never seen one near the road! We did not take out the extra insurance, I suppose it depends on how you feel personally but be warned the extra insurance does not cover windscreens, tyres or travel on non tarmac roads. When you pick a vehicle up spend time going round and check tyres if worn low reject vehicle and get another. Make sure salesman notes everything on his sheet about the car body, you will get a copy. If you have a digital camera set time and date and take a number of photos of car to cover yourself in the event of any dispute. Make sure you fill tank with fuel before returning. When returning go round car with salesman get him to note your sheet all is satisfactory, date and sign if possible. Not trying to treach you how to suck eggs but just friendly advice.

Mt Spec near Kingfisher park is doable in a 2wd but take it slow over the big bungs that have been put across the track, the Aussies call them Whoaboys. The car we had was a Nissan Pulsar.

Have a good time

Robert

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back