• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Poll - Do you agree or disagree with the AOS's recent decision to abandon the use of eponymous bird names? (4 Viewers)

The AOS is proposing to change all English bird names currently named after people. Do you agree?

• Agree

Votes: 93 25.7%
  • Disagree

Votes: 215 59.4%
  • No strong feelings either way.

Votes: 49 13.5%
  • Don't know, need more information

Votes: 5 1.4%

• Total voters
Well, for me it's quite simple. This is at best a North American and worst a US organisation and its reach should be confined to North American (or US) endemics as appropriate, on jurisdictional grounds.

Anything more than that carried out unilaterally is plain colonialism. Seeking naming rights in respect of scarce migrants/vagrants whose breeding ranges are entirely abroad is Bond-villain megalomania.

John

There are some signs that this may be orchestrated by a Bond villain. See attached.

All the best

Paul

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240122_143016_Chrome~2.jpg
    Screenshot_20240122_143016_Chrome~2.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 48
With regards to naming colours, Robert Ridgway invented the colour palette we still (or at least in the Americas) use to make the subtle distinction between e.g. chestnut / rufous / brown / rusty / ... or cinnamon-buff, cinnamon-drab, cinnamon-rufous etcetera. You can read the book here, the color cards start at page 44:

It struck me that the book has been copied many times... in black-and-white!

With regards to naming colours, Robert Ridgway invented the colour palette we still (or at least in the Americas) use to make the subtle distinction between e.g. chestnut / rufous / brown / rusty / ... or cinnamon-buff, cinnamon-drab, cinnamon-rufous etcetera. You can read the book here, the color cards start at page 44:

It struck me that the book has been copied many times... in black-and-white!

In a quick word search, four references to "flesh" variations. Maybe time for a new edition.

All he best

Paul

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240123_133050_Chrome~2.jpg
    Screenshot_20240123_133050_Chrome~2.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 14
I was going to post about Flesh-footed Shearwater the other day, but never did ... interesting to see come up ;-)

How rare is it on the US list? Are NZ renaming it?

I'll admit I didn't make the association with it being skin-coloured either. To me 'flesh' indicates the muscley, bloody stuff underneath - same as all humans have, irrespective of 'skin colour/color'. A kind of dark red, although I guess going through to chicken flesh/pale pink) I did google it - flesh is a technical colour term, eg in buying fabric, or perhaps paint. Presumably becoming more outdated/antiquated though. Not a word I use.

I do struggle to see how it could be offensive in some respects, nowadays. But equally, I don't have a problem with it being changed as just one of some names to be changed - I won't see one ever and have no skin in the game.

(The Flesh-footed Shearwater is a nice chocolatey brown colour. I guess it would be totally inappropriate to rename it 'Flesh-coloured Shearwater? ;-) As a 'white' person, I wouldn't be offended.)

Appears to be fairly regular off the Pacific coast.

A fair call on Flesh-footed Shearwater from a number of countries:-

O.0026% eBird Checklists United States
0.1210% eBird Checklists Japan
0.1730% eBird Checklists Australia
0.6862% eBird Checklists New Zealand

All the best

Paul

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240123_154925_Chrome~2.jpg
    Screenshot_20240123_154925_Chrome~2.jpg
    232.7 KB · Views: 6
I was going to post about Flesh-footed Shearwater the other day, but never did ... interesting to see come up ;-)

How rare is it on the US list? Are NZ renaming it?

I'll admit I didn't make the association with it being skin-coloured either. To me 'flesh' indicates the muscley, bloody stuff underneath - same as all humans have, irrespective of 'skin colour/color'. A kind of dark red, although I guess going through to chicken flesh/pale pink) I did google it - flesh is a technical colour term, eg in buying fabric, or perhaps paint. Presumably becoming more outdated/antiquated though. Not a word I use.

I do struggle to see how it could be offensive in some respects, nowadays. But equally, I don't have a problem with it being changed as just one of some names to be changed - I won't see one ever and have no skin in the game.

(The Flesh-footed Shearwater is a nice chocolatey brown colour. I guess it would be totally inappropriate to rename it 'Flesh-coloured Shearwater? ;-) As a 'white' person, I wouldn't be offended.)
Its already got another name in New Zealand - Toanui, which is was called for 100's of years before Europeans discovered it & named it after the colour of their skin - I understand the original description specifically says something about skin colour, not meat colour.

Personally, I can understand why some people might find it offensive that the implication was people would just assume skin colour is white/pale and any other skin colour is irrelevant - some people might call that institutional racism

So yeah, why not call it Flesh-coloured Shearwater, its exactly the same principal

Does Toanui translate to English? Do any other countries where the shearwater appears have names that translate to English? If so, perhaps there is the answer as the question is out there?

Does Toanui translate to English? Do any other countries where the shearwater appears have names that translate to English? If so, perhaps there is the answer as the question is out there?
Not really, apparently it means something like harsh or over-bearing - they are really stroppy & vicious when you handle them - Flesh-eating Shearwater would be a better name, but all the big shearwaters are bad, Buller's (=Rako) is even worse & their necks are so long they can get you however you hold them

Giving a bird that breeds more around Australia than around New Zealand a Māori name isn't great either.
And this is not even considering the facts that the Māori have a history of avifaunal destruction and genocide (cue the Moriori).

You must check how toanui is described in the on-line Māori dictionary: toanui - Te Aka Māori Dictionary

Its already got another name in New Zealand - Toanui, which is was called for 100's of years before Europeans discovered it & named it after the colour of their skin - I understand the original description specifically says something about skin colour, not meat colour.

Personally, I can understand why some people might find it offensive that the implication was people would just assume skin colour is white/pale and any other skin colour is irrelevant - some people might call that institutional racism

So yeah, why not call it Flesh-coloured Shearwater, its exactly the same principal
But it's ok when others do it?

Not really, apparently it means something like harsh or over-bearing - they are really stroppy & vicious when you handle them - Flesh-eating Shearwater would be a better name, but all the big shearwaters are bad, Buller's (=Rako) is even worse & their necks are so long they can get you however you hold them
Stroppy Shearwater then................

Users who are viewing this thread

Back