• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Owen's wildlife for 2023 (3 Viewers)

Also had four Eagle species. My first ever Lesser Spotted and great flight views of Booted and Short Toed. The delta was full of White Tailed and they didn't seem that fussed by our boat. As great as the WTE views were I think the flight shot of the Short Toed is one of the best flight shots my bridge camera has pulled off.

romwte1.jpg

romboot1.jpg

romlse3.jpg

romste2.jpg

working through the photos brings a probable knapweed Fritillary and this one which I think is short tailed blue. I haven't got to the photos yet but have some doubts about my guides provencal short tailed blue on range. so it might be that my extra tick is short lived. but for now

72 Short Tailed Blue
Edit 73 Knapweed Fritillary (photos in the butterfly id section)

romstb1.jpg

Last edited:
Cool. The Collins map suggested otherwise. I’ve not got to those photos yet. I’m quite confident about that one being argiades though so hopefully I got both

August 17th

Family holiday to Orlando. I will be fitting in a little bit of birding but the focus will definitely be on theme parks. Romania was the wildlife. There is some wooded wasteland and a few small lakes behind the hotel though

The trip from the airport to hotel brought two unidentified raptors. One quite large Some feral pigeons and two great egrets.

The hotel pool brought the first definite tick

17 brown anole

IMG_7595.png

Birds 274 Mammals 23 Herp 17 Butterflies 73 Total 386 Lifers 62

You really need a shot of the upperside to differentiate C. alcetas and C. decolorata Owen.

Chris

Top was quite bright blue. Whereas the other one is darker isn’t it. Can’t remember which way round without the books. Got a lot of butterfly shots still to go through

August 18th

Unlike in Romania where I could Id everything but a few warblers and blue butterflies I haven’t got a clue about a lot of Florida stuff so I will put some back of camera stuff. On the off chance any Americans are reading and can correct me please jump in

Nice post breakfast but already hot walk around the pond next to the hotel. Sun was almost horizontal which made photos very hard.

Nice views and poor photos on what I’m assuming is marsh rabbit. Very plump, smallish ears. And had a great if startling view of an eastern indigo snake. Very long and bulky and almost totally back. It shot from the water across 3m of cut grass into the shrubs.

Lots of signs warning about snakes and alligators so it put me on edge a little

No sign of any passerines at all. Did have a flyover American crow and shilouetted views of what I think was a female red bellied woodpecker and some cool herons and cormorants. When everything is a tick they’re all cool 😀

Some lovely Odonata too but they’ll wait for home. Loved the small dragons with wing patterns though.

Lots of varied lizards. Probably all different ages of brown anole but again the photos will wait. Also had one flyby white butterfly

275 double crested cormorant
276 white ibis
277 little blue heron (I think if someone can check the photo)
278 red bellied woodpecker (I had to massively overexpose to stop it being a shilouette but again I think it’s the right one)
279 American crow
18 eastern indigo snake
24 marsh rabbit

IMG_7609.jpeg

IMG_7610.jpeg

Birds 279 Mammals 24 Herp 18 Butterflies 73 Total 393 Lifers 69

Day at disney. Quite thundery for a lot of it which cut down on wildlife. Did manage some incidental birding and some cool dragonflies. Saddlebag skimmer was the most common and very cool. One flyby monarch family butterfly but didn’t get it to species.

I went to disney as a kid in the days of 24 photo films and with no birders but we did still come back with a few bird photos that I’ve always had on my life list. One was boat tailed grackle so that wasn’t a tick but everything else was. The ducks i saw look mallard but could be mottled. I’ll do some reading.

280 boat tailed grackle +
281 black vulture
282 mourning dove.
283 great blue heron
284 sandhill crane

Birds 284 Mammals 24 Herp 18 Butterflies 73 Total 398 Lifers 73

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back