• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Owen's wildlife for 2023 (1 Viewer)

I'm half considering a trip to sussex to see the Long Tailed Blues but most probably my final butterfly of the year will be these Orange Barred Sulphurs that I spent ages trying to photograph and just about managed one that separates them from Cloudless.

That psychological 100 is looking so close but impossible.

94 Orange Barred Sulphur
obs1.JPG

Birds 324 Mammals 27 Herp 25 Butterflies 94 Total 470 Lifers 140

Other large butterflies included Gulf Fritillary, Zebra Longwing, Cloudless Sulphur Monarch and Viceroy

I'd seen Monarch earlier in the year in Mallorca but not managed a photo. Zebra Longwing was a total stunner that always managed to perch facing away from me and was very flighty but was big enough to catch in flight

florgulf2.JPG

florzl3.JPG

florcs1.JPG

flormonarch1.JPG

florviceroy6.JPG

A few more assorted lifers and two, spotted sandpiper and Laughing gull that I'd seen in the UK, nice to get really close looks at different laughing gull plumages after enjoying my first sight of one in Devon back in january.

florcg3.JPG Common Grackle

flornmb6.JPG northern mockingbird

florfc1.JPG fish crow

florpg3.JPG purple gallinule

florssp1.JPG spotted sandpiper

florlg5.JPG laughing gull

Other large butterflies included Gulf Fritillary, Zebra Longwing, Cloudless Sulphur Monarch and Viceroy

I'd seen Monarch earlier in the year in Mallorca but not managed a photo. Zebra Longwing was a total stunner that always managed to perch facing away from me and was very flighty but was big enough to catch in flight

View attachment 1530198

View attachment 1530192

View attachment 1530194

View attachment 1530196

View attachment 1530197
Some stunning butterflies (and birds) from Florida, and some great photos.
Didn't realise you also got monarch butterflies in Majorca...there is an isolated population here in the Serra de Monchique in the cork oak forests which we saw earlier this year - believed to have colonised from the Atlantic islands, although they are non-migratory in Portugal.

Yeah. It’s weird how huge the American migration thing is, pretty sure they’re non-migratory in the canaries and Spain too.

Saw two in Mallorca, not sure how prevalent they are but I think they’re established. Think they are in Gibraltar area too. They’re amazing looking things

August 10th

Spent the morning on Thursday at dale airfield in Pembrokeshire dipping the long staying short toed lark. Enjoyable site with a lot of passage birds so when a buff breasted sandpiper turned up there last night I decided to give it another go.

Roped in Clark griswold for some expert assistance (and it turned out the driving, thanks Rich) and headed down to Pembrokeshire.

First stop was st martins deer park where two wryneck had been seen first light. Unfortunately by the time we got there the heavens were really opening for the first time in weeks and we got soaked. No wrynecks seen. Did have some nice birds I don’t see that often, groups of chough and scoter and a lovely bright juvenile willow warbler as well as some big seals.

Onto the airfield where after a short break it tipped down again. Was quite close to stringing a waterlogged skylark but it ended up being a dip again.

Onto the nearby Gann. Occasional migrant hotspot, I ticked Baird’s sandpiper there and found an Iceland gull on another visit. Nothing rare but the very unusual and welcome sight of a pair of Manx shearwater on, finally, millpond flat water giving the sort of scope views you don’t get on pelagics or seawatches.

A year tick at the end of a wet but still very enjoyable day. Thanks again Rich

IMG_8438.jpg

325 Manx shearwater

Birds 325 Mammals 27 Herp 25 Butterflies 94 Total 471 Lifers 140

Yeah. It’s weird how huge the American migration thing is, pretty sure they’re non-migratory in the canaries and Spain too.

Saw two in Mallorca, not sure how prevalent they are but I think they’re established. Think they are in Gibraltar area too. They’re amazing looking things

Pretty sure that there are papers on movements in Spain. Pretty nomadic.

Edit - paper attached.

All the best

Paul

Attachments

• ABC_41-1_pp_1-8.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 3
Last edited:
September 21st

Was all set last night for a day year ticking Grey Phalarope when word came in about the Magnolia Warbler in Pembrokeshire, not just in Pembrokeshire but on the mainland (this will become even more important as today went on) so after two recent dips in Little England Beyond Wales I was determined to make it third time lucky. To be honest the Magnolia Warbler was a lot more enticing than the Short Toed Lark that I'd dipped twice (and had seen in Cyprus anyway)

I set the alarm for 4 but couldn't even sleep that much so was out of the house by 330 and got to the site just after sun up The bird had just been seen by a decent size crowd but I had a very frustrating and seemingly long time (probably really short but anxious) of not getting on to it, The cries of 'by the gorse' were accurate but not great for getting onto a small bird that was largely keeping to cover a reasonable distance away. I did get some quick flight views, the yellow apparent even if the finer details weren't. As it got warmer and I got my eye in it got a lot easier and eventually I was not only happy with the views but had prolonged excellent scope views tracking it as it moved through the bushes and even a few photos although my fogged bridge camera wasn't going to win any awards. A gorgeous bird when you could scope the details and the sun hit it.

It was only my second decent sized twitch and I was really struck by just how helpful, patientand friendly everyone was. I did my best to get people onto the bird too, eventually it got displaced up the gully and I decided to head back. I've a feeling it probably showed even closer later on but I had quite a few really good views.

As I travelled back east it became evident that the country but especially south wales was absolutely flooded with vagrants. Some really classy North American birds on Pembrokeshire's islands where hopefully they will get seen by a few more people than just the lucky few already there.

Stopped on the way home for a Red Eyed Vireo found at kenfig/sker but got there just after a downpour that had cleared both the bird and most of the early birders, it ended up with a large crowd of birders returning from the magnolia twitch and a few familar south wales faces but no real signs of just where the bird was and it wasn't found in the 2 hours i was on site.

Two new yanks for me would have been greedy and I was very happy that the one I got was the Magnolia. Hopefully will get to go out again sunday, who knows what will be around by then in the new migrant hotspot of the UK.

magn4.JPG

IMG_8541.jpeg
326 Magnolia Warbler
Birds 326 Mammals 27 Herp 25 Butterflies 94 Total 472 Lifers 141

Attachments

• IMG_8541.jpeg
    IMG_8541.jpeg
    113.5 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
September 29th

I’ve been a little remiss at going for year ticks recently. There have been plenty of curlew sandpipers and a few phalaropes nearby and I still haven’t seen stock dove but fitting them around work hasnt quite worked.

But a knot on Cardiff bay barrage was a tempting patch tick as well as a year one and was in walking distance once I’d done the school run.

It was the first one in Cardiff bay for quite a while and had clearly roosted alone on the rocks. It had disappeared for the next birder to arrive but i had some nice very close views. I always enjoy getting to focus on single waders that I normally see in flocks.

Quite a few very confiding wheatear too. It’s a good passage spot for them.

327 knot

Phone photo only I’m afraid

IMG_8648.jpeg

Birds 327 Mammals 27 Herp 25 Butterflies 94 Total 473 Lifers 141

October 7th

Been spending a lot of time looking at the birds on the east coast or Shetland or scilly but no real opportunity to go for anything too cool

A friend had been getting good photos of bank voles at forest farm. A reserve in north Cardiff that I’m really not a fan of but which is helpfully next to where my wife and daughter fancied paddle boarding.

An hour or so brought quite a few decent views of the voles although unfortunately nothing photographable.

28 bank vole +

Birds 327 Mammals 28 Herp 25 Butterflies 94 Total 474 Lifers 141

Users who are viewing this thread

Back