• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Orange/yellow bird in Texas - need help identifying (1 Viewer)

kkbrowns

Can anyone help identify this bird seen in rural Northeast Texas? Spotted it drinking at a waterfall in my backyard. Thought it was an oriole but doesn't quite match pictures from my bird books.
IMG_1935a.jpg

IMG_1936a.jpg

IMG_1937a.jpg

This is a Baltimore Oriole.

Justin

EDIT: To expound a bit, this is likely a 1st year male as mentioned by Chris. Few bird guides adequately show variation or immature plumage - this is why if I see a tricky bird I will often use my field guide to get a general idea and then search through Google Images for that species to see the range of variation within that species.

Last edited:
Thanks! The pictures show the coloration to be yellow but it was really more orange so a young Baltimore Oriole makes sense. I was taking the picture through a screened window so it wasn't as clear as I would have liked. There was another bird like it in the yard out of range of the camera but got a few snaps of this one.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back