• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Oostvaarderplassen (1 Viewer)

stefano t63

I’m looking for some info about Oostvaarderplassen and surrounding areas (Lapelaarplassen etc). As far as I understand most of the area is closed to the public but there should be some trails and bird hides/observatories accessible also without a guide. Is there a map or some indications to locate these places? I didn’t find many information (in English language) on the net.
Another more specific question: is there any particular spot with good chances to see Bearded Tit on February?

Thanks
Stefano

Hello Stefano,

I visit a view times a year the oostvaardersplassen and the Lepelaarsplassen. I'm not an expert on this area but you should find a lot of information on www.waarneming.nl. This is a dutch website where all the dutchbirders can place there sightings for each place they have been birding. With the button on the top right you can change the language from dutch to for example italian. The you should be able to find al the recent sightings in the area you wish to know. Also you can see the history of the spot.

Bearded tits should not be the problem in february.

Also there are a few dutch birdguides you could use. They are welknown in this area. If you need adresses I can post them here if you want.

Here's a list of hides/viewpoints in the Oostvaardersplassen area. Text is in Dutch but I think the maps speak for themselves ;)

Some good spots for bearded tit (from personal experience) are here.

Enjoy :t:

Hello Stefano,
There's a Dutch site, vogelkijkhut.nl, with info on birdhides.
Check this link for a map with some birdhides and trails. In the information centre (the P above Zeearend) they have more information. That might be a good place to start.

Missing on the map is the recently opened natuurbelevingscentrum in Almere, from where you have a nice view as well. I can point that out on a map, if you want. That goes for the JvB pad on the left (Jan van 't Boschpad) as well, since it's quite hard to find. It's a nice spot, but I can recommend a telescope. Both Jan van 't Boschpad as Julianapad (not on the map: coordinates latitude 52°29'19.37"N and longitude 5°23'8.97"E (use Google Earth) might be good spots for bearded tits.

Keep in mind that there are bird trails etc., but most areas are sealed off to the public. Of course, that doesn't mean you can't have a good time and see many birds.

I'm sorry all information is in Dutch. I do wish we'd pay more attention to international visitors !

Hope this helps,

Feel free to PM me for more info.

Paul

Hello,

As others said, go to waarneming.nl and see recent observations. Also check other places and species (note trip planner function there).

In Oostwaardersplassen, I saw them regularly in the area of "zeearend" hide. You drive to the east car park, walk towards the zeearend hide but after the big canal turn and follow the canal, passing meadows with several small pools and reed patches. They were on these small pools.
Directions on Google maps are: car park 52.457123,5.417018, bearded tits: 52.456510, 5.396665

To visit Oo. you generally need a car. You can come short distance on the east side or west side - latter has more birds. Most of the area is closed, but it is still atmospheric place full of birds.

The previous pieces of advice are sound.

If you don't mind cycling a fair distance in a flat but sometimes very windy landscape, bicycles are for rent in Lelystad and Almere, although the opening times at the stations may be weird. The advantage of a bike is that you can stop anywhere on the west side (very few parking spaces), although this is not the best area in winter (and because of high water levels, it has been pretty bad most of the time in recent years). However, Bearded Tit (also) occurs along this stretch, and the high viewpoint makes it relatively easy to see them. Smew can be common on the Markermeer (the lake to the west), although there should be a few in the Oostvaardersplassen themselves.

There are two viewing areas along the Praamweg, where birders (who should be able to give help in English) can usually be found, along with a reliable Rough-legged Buzzard as well as (usually very distant) White-tailed Eagles. A map of the area should not be hard to find in the local petrol stations: this may give an idea of access/vantage points.

If you're by car, a drive over the Lelystad–Enkhuizen dyke can be interesting for large flocks of ducks, especially Scaup.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back