• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

One Careful Owner ! (2 Viewers)

@Gijs van Ginkel Post #38
You are a well experienced person in the optics field and I always value your opinions. Also I don’t have first hand experience with that problem because I use my NLs rarely and I am not living in a tropical region right now. However, one of my friends faced that problem and had to send his binoculars few times to replace the armor. He doesn’t use DEET. And I have seen many persons complaining about this problem in a Facebook group as well. Most of them are not using DEET but living in tropical areas like Africa. Elevated temperatures and humidity increase the microbial activity and accelerate the speed of the biodegradation. I think sweat also have an effect although I am not sure. But I am sure most of them are not cleaning binoculars with soap after using them. We birders usually do it but I don’t think many hunters are doing it. Hunters represent a major customer group of Swarovski binoculars and Swarovski has partnerships with some hunting related projects. However, it is clear Swarovski changed their material for the armor quite recently. That’s why they included a soap and a brush as accessories for the NL line.
Anyway, for the safe side, I am not taking NL to Sri Lanka. Instead I am taking UV 10x32. Maybe I like little Leicas more than NL too 😉 These days SL has full of sunshine so small aperture and EP of UV won’t be a problem as well 😀

Viraj, post 41,
I can imagine that sweat could have an effect on the armor of a binocular. Because of that possible problem I clean the binocular used generally with a wet cloth and that may have helped to keep the binocular used in good condition. I do not know what effect the armor change (more environmental friendly) on the new Swarovski binoculars has on its durability, time will show. Up to now I can not see any problem with the NL pure I am using, but the SLC's and EL's I have been using in the past decades still look as new.
In the past I have worked some time as a volunteer in the binocular shop of the Dutch Bird Protection association and there I have seen sometimes binoculars from different brands that were really severely abused with damaged armor as a result.
Gijs van Ginkel

interesting pics of Jane Goodall - it looks like 2 of those pictures with the Dialyts are 15-20 years apart and they barely aged (the binos). Looks like the same pair.

Just think about the what the DEET does to your internal organs! I used that stuff all during childhood and regret it. I've got a couple effective herbal sprays now and bug-netting clothing for when it gets bad. Most spray-on repellants sweat off quickly in hot weather anyways.
Good stuff. Amazing. She lived in perhaps the worst possible place for fungal intrusion into binocullars-- those old Hesoldts must have been amazing. It would be fascinating to look through a pair of Hensoldts of that era. They appear to be lightweight and well built externally.
Individual focus, no diopter setting, low light transmission..... Amazing.

Good stuff. Amazing. She lived in perhaps the worst possible place for fungal intrusion into binocullars-- those old Hesoldts must have been amazing. It would be fascinating to look through a pair of Hensoldts of that era. They appear to be lightweight and well built externally.
Individual focus, no diopter setting, low light transmission..... Amazing.
...or not.
I guess she got bursitis after using those heavy bins for so many years and carrying chimps, so she decided to go light, really light. The older I get, the lighter my binoculars get, but I draw the line at compacts unless they are porros. I find compact roofs too hard to hold steady with my long fingers, and the eyecups are too small for my eye sockets. Made for the wee people.

OTOH, using 8x56s for so many years has given you Arnold biceps, so you'd have to put an anchor on an 8x40 SFL to keep them steady. :)

Brock

My guess is that her old binoculars would be worth a small fortune at auction, if they’re not already in the Smithsonian‘s collection

...or not.

Hello everyone.

We can appreciate the use of several different models of the Leica 8x20 pocket binoculars by the famous primathologist Jane Goodall.

We notice in the photos two Leica trinovid 8x20 from different periods as well as a pair of Leica Ultravid 8x20. Interesting 😉

Attachments

• Screenshot_2024-02-09-19-23-18-774_com.miui.gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_2024-02-09-19-23-18-774_com.miui.gallery.jpg
    373.6 KB · Views: 19
  • Screenshot_2024-02-09-19-22-39-953_com.miui.gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_2024-02-09-19-22-39-953_com.miui.gallery.jpg
    399.8 KB · Views: 17
  • Screenshot_2024-02-09-19-22-05-457_com.miui.gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_2024-02-09-19-22-05-457_com.miui.gallery.jpg
    450.7 KB · Views: 15
  • Screenshot_2024-02-09-19-21-33-193_com.miui.gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_2024-02-09-19-21-33-193_com.miui.gallery.jpg