• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

NL 32's vs 42's eyepiece lens & eyecup size (1 Viewer)

Cocobolo

South Korea
Just came to my mind...simply out of curiosity. I wonder whether there's any difference in size of eyepiece lens and eyecup between NL 32's & 42's. Similarly, EL SV 32's, 42's and even 50's. Difference between CL pocket & NL 32 is evident, but wondering whether once 32's or larger do they remain just about the same or get proportionally larger as well???

Just came to my mind...simply out of curiosity. I wonder whether there's any difference in size of eyepiece lens and eyecup between NL 32's & 42's. Similarly, EL SV 32's, 42's and even 50's. Difference between CL pocket & NL 32 is evident, but wondering whether once 32's or larger do they remain just about the same or get proportionally larger as well???
without measuring, yes there is a difference in eyecup diameter. the rainguards do not interchange.

without measuring, yes there is a difference in eyecup diameter. the rainguards do not interchange.
Thanks for your input. Yes, I seem to recall they sell the spare parts in respect of their objective lens sizes. What about the size(diameter) of the eyepiece lens? Has anyone ever taken measurements by any chance? Or can tell the relative size difference by the look?

AFAIK, the NL eyepiece lens diameter is 25mm, for both the x42 and x32s. I think I read somewhere that the EL 32 and 42s diameter is around 24mm. My SLC 8x56s are some of the largest at 29/30mm! Roger Vine's site is a good source for these figures as he tends to always measure the eyepiece, where as most other online sources never do, including the manufacturers.

Thanks for your input. Yes, I seem to recall they sell the spare parts in respect of their objective lens sizes. What about the size(diameter) of the eyepiece lens? Has anyone ever taken measurements by any chance? Or can tell the relative size difference by the look?
I just now looked at the ocular lens, held my steel rule near to, and yes the difference in diameter is visually apparent. From holding the rule close it seems likely 3mm difference in diameter. I'm not one to place the rule on the lens, so i could be off by several mm. Am comparing a 12x42 to an 8x32, makes me wonder if between the 42's the ocular lens diameter is different. Ultimately this does not matter to me, There must be technical drawing that indicates those specs.

The Swarovski VPA 2 variable phone adapter has sets of clamping rings inserts for different applications. Insert rings are numbered lightly on the inside of each ring with numbers from 1 through 5. The NL Pure 42 series uses the CA-B Clamp Adapter kit with the VPA 2. The VPA 2 User Manual indicates CA-B Clamp Adapter with no ring insert fits NL Pure 42, EL Range 42 TA, and SLC 56. The user manual also indicates the number "3" insert ring is used for NL Pure 32, EL 42/50, and EL Range 42. The BTX uses insert ring number "4", which also is used for EL Range 32 and EL 32.

Insert ring number "3" is 0.94mm, 0.037", thick in radial extent, which would change the diameter of the clamp by 1.88 mm. Looking with one's eyes may overlook 1.88 mm difference on a 45 mm diameter black rubber circle.

IDOD
Noctivid 8x422642
Blaser Globetrotter: 25 mm25
Swarovski NL Pure: 25 mm25
Zeiss Conquest HD: 24 mm24
Zeiss SFL 30: 23 mm2337
Zeiss SFL 402338.5
Nikon Monarch HG 22.5 mm22.5
Swarovski CL Companion: 22 mm22
Zeiss Victory SF: 22 mm22
Leica Trinovid HD: 21.5 mm21.5
Meopta MeoStar: 21.5 mm21.5
7x35 Retro2132
GPO Passion ED: 21 mm21
Leica UV HD+: 18 mm18

IDOD
Noctivid 8x422642
Blaser Globetrotter: 25 mm25
Swarovski NL Pure: 25 mm25
Zeiss Conquest HD: 24 mm24
Zeiss SFL 30: 23 mm2337
Zeiss SFL 402338.5
Nikon Monarch HG 22.5 mm22.5
Swarovski CL Companion: 22 mm22
Zeiss Victory SF: 22 mm22
Leica Trinovid HD: 21.5 mm21.5
Meopta MeoStar: 21.5 mm21.5
7x35 Retro2132
GPO Passion ED: 21 mm21
Leica UV HD+: 18 mm18
Wow! That's pretty comprehensive. Much appreciate your input. It is my understanding that the more recent and higher-end models, the larger the ocular lenses in general as compared to the ones released earlier probably because of introduction of field flattener lenses I guess. I see there's a noticeable difference between my old EL Gen 1 10x42 (20mm) and NL 10x32 (25mm). Larger ocular lenses are more satisfying and visually pleasing as well...at least to me.

Wow! That's pretty comprehensive. Much appreciate your input. It is my understanding that the more recent and higher-end models, the larger the ocular lenses in general as compared to the ones released earlier probably because of introduction of field flattener lenses I guess. I see there's a noticeable difference between my old EL Gen 1 10x42 (20mm) and NL 10x32 (25mm). Larger ocular lenses are more satisfying and visually pleasing as well...at least to me.
It’s data taken from other’s posts to which I tried to add the ones I could confirm personally.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back