• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Would you get an NL Pure 32mm if you already had a 42, or maybe something else? (1 Viewer)

I'm a 2 bino guy, one for serious work and one for when I'm out and about with the family.

30/32/33 is a good compromise, not too small an objective that you notice the darker view on dull days as they have an adequate exit pupil for those times, there's nothing wrong with smaller or pocket bins - if you need something that's going to fit in a pocket at least.

You may even find you don't notice any difference at all in terms of brightness and resolution by going down a size, maybe the opposite in fact, the 8x32 nl actually has a larger exit pupil than the 12x42 so you may use them more than you think when your visiting terrain where the larger field of view and greater stability would help more than outright reach.

I believe your on the hunt for a different scope from your other threads, maybe that would also be a good use case for an 8x32 so you have the wider field of view for easier scanning before zeroing in with the scope. You'd have less weight to carry too on those occasions.

It seems your quite settled on the nl but if you get the opportunity it may be worth trying either a nikon e2, kowa genesis 8x33 or habicht 8x30, you and your wallet may (or may not!) be pleasantly surprised.

Will

I have the NL 8x42 and the EL FP 8x32 I absolutely love the view through the NL but I find I pick up the EL’s a little more often as they are lighter, I think for general birding the EL8x32 takes some beating and for around half the price second hand of a new NL 8x32. I am considering getting the NL 12x42 but these would be mounted on a tripod

The perfect compliment to your NL 12x42 would be the NL 8x32. It will be smaller, lighter, have a bigger FOV, be easier to hold steady and have better DOF. You will find you will use the NL 12x42 for more long range, open country birding and the NL 8x32 for closer in woodland birding. You don't want to move down to an SFL or EL if you are used to the NL. You will notice the difference right away. Neither the SFL nor the EL is going to give you that huge AFOV and transparency that the NL does and as they say once you have gone alpha you can't go backa. You will pay almost as much for a used EL 8x32 as you will for a used NL 8x32. I had the SFL 8x40 and compared it to my NL 8x32 and take my word for it there was no comparison. I sold the SFL the next day. The SFL feels like tunnel vision compared to the huge FOV of the NL. I have the NL 8x32 and the NL 10x42, so I fully endorse your acquiring the NL 8x32 with your NL 12x42 because I think it is the perfect combination. As far as, a compact or pocket binocular. They are fine if you absolutely need to carry a binocular in your pocket. If not, you are giving up a lot in performance, comfort and usability versus a good 8x32 or 10x42. I find I don't need to carry a binocular in my pocket, so for my bicycling and car binocular I have a Nikon HG 10x42. It didn't cost much more than an alpha compact or pocket, and it will easily outperform any of them, but it is still pretty small and light for a 42 mm, being less than 24 oz.
What he said. Plus if you use a scope, you will really like the NL832...

The perfect compliment to your NL 12x42 would be the NL 8x32. It will be smaller, lighter, have a bigger FOV, be easier to hold steady and have better DOF. You will find you will use the NL 12x42 for more long range, open country birding and the NL 8x32 for closer in woodland birding. You don't want to move down to an SFL or EL if you are used to the NL. You will notice the difference right away. Neither the SFL nor the EL is going to give you that huge AFOV and transparency that the NL does and as they say once you have gone alpha you can't go backa. You will pay almost as much for a used EL 8x32 as you will for a used NL 8x32. I had the SFL 8x40 and compared it to my NL 8x32 and take my word for it there was no comparison. I sold the SFL the next day. The SFL feels like tunnel vision compared to the huge FOV of the NL. I have the NL 8x32 and the NL 10x42, so I fully endorse your acquiring the NL 8x32 with your NL 12x42 because I think it is the perfect combination. As far as, a compact or pocket binocular. They are fine if you absolutely need to carry a binocular in your pocket. If not, you are giving up a lot in performance, comfort and usability versus a good 8x32 or 10x42. I find I don't need to carry a binocular in my pocket, so for my bicycling and car binocular I have a Nikon HG 10x42. It didn't cost much more than an alpha compact or pocket, and it will easily outperform any of them, but it is still pretty small and light for a 42 mm, being less than 24 oz.

Please, no. Dennis has deified and then vilified most every bino in that post, a dozen times over.
You really don't make much sense! Of course, I liked the EL and SFL when I first tried them, but the EL has been around a while now, so it is logical that newer improved binoculars like the NL with their huge FOV are going to surpass the older models. I really liked the SFL 8x40, and it is a very good binocular, but it is a $1500 binocular, and you really can't compare it to a $2500 NL. When I had the SFL 8x40 I bought an NL 8x32 and compared the two to see which one I would keep because they are close in weight and size and even thought the SFL 8x40 has a bigger exit pupil I bird mostly in the day with my 8x32, so it doesn't make much difference. I use my NL 10x42 in lower light. Of course, there was a big difference in FOV and transparency between the NL 8x32 and the SFL 8x40, so I kept the NL 8x32. Just because somebody likes a binocular 2 years a go doesn't mean they are married to it. Something new and better always comes along. It is called progress.

last week I spent time outside with the NL 42 and 32s. both are fantastic and the views were very comparable for me. I'm looking for a lighter option to complement my SLC 56s so I'm going w/ the 32s, eventually. the SFLs are nice but a step below the NLs. stick w/ SW.

I've been fantasising about getting an 8x or 10x32 NL to complement my 12x42. It is just hypothetical, because I can't afford it at the moment. Maybe next year.

In the meantime, it might be interesting to think about the pros and cons of this choice. I love the ergonomics of both NL sizes, and, personally speaking, I find that the NL glass gives me everything I could possibly need. The 12x42 is a little heavy, though, and it would be nice to have a smaller and lighter option.

I've never owned a Leica or Zeiss, so I'd also be curious to have some variety in my optics, but do you think an NL 32 is the obvious choice for someone who already likes the NL 42? Would you consider other options, such as an Ultravid, CL, or a Victory Pocket, for example?

Thanks!
I would go with the 8x32 perfect when carrying a scope.
It's still significantly lighter than the 42NL and
handling, eye pieces etc. might feel more similar than an even smaller bin.

If you want to go lighter, I would look into the SFL30, the CL:s and perhaps even UVHD32.

I would like to try the Habicht 8x30 w, I don't like the egyptian woods of my NL 10x42. Maybe Habicht 8x30 w in the woods and NL 10x42 above the tree line? Weight and ageing would suggest the reverse, but magnification wins, for now.

Last edited:
I don't own a scope, but if I did, I might consider the VP 8x25. I own both the 8x42Nl, which I bought initially, but then stepped up to the 12x42Nl, which I use much more often than the 8x. When I really want a lighter binocular for extended carrying, I use my VP 8x25. Even though its FOV can't compare to the Nl, it is extremely good for a compact bino. Its closer focusing is an added plus. In fact, I find myself reaching for the VP much more often than the 8xNl, in situations I don't need the 12xNl.

I personally have no need for a 32Nl. Its weight advantage, not to mention lesser bulk advantage, can't compare to the VP's. If I did consider a 32Nl, I would probably get the 10 x 32Nl to round out my magnification options that I currently own. If I did, I would probably sell my 8x42 Nl, which isn't getting the use it deserves, given the 12xNl gets used the most.

How is the NL Pure 12x42 in dim light? When you are walking through dark forests at dawn, is the NL 12x42 comfortable enough? Do you have the feeling you miss something? (Or maybe you don't know yet you are missing something ;)) In that case a NL 8x32 or a SFL 8x40 wil really complement the NL 12x42, because of the bigger exit pupil and the lower power.
If it is just the weight/size, the NL 10x32 would be nice because the AFOV isn't that smaller than the NL 12x42 (you said you really appreciate that).

Last edited:
Yes, the SFLs do look interesting. They've certainly got excellent lightness, although I can't recall how 'bulky' they seem compared to NL 32s.

I've not had much time behind them, as yet. More research needed!
Not even close! SFL good binoculars, NL great binoculars. You have the 12x, now a great combo would be an 8X32NL. The EL a close second if you can find a nice one, but if you’re already hooked on the large NL FOV , then stay with NL.

Paul

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back