• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

newcastle trip (1 Viewer)

Mustang Birder

Jersey
Hi Guys
I will be returning to Newcastle for a week at the end of may (1st time in 5 years:) ) and am looking for some help, I am planning on visiting areas close to Blaydon, Shibdon Pond, Far Pasture, Derwent valley and hopefully Clara Vale but I cannot remember how to get there as I have only been once.
If anyone could give me directions to there I would be very grateful.
Also are the key for the hides the same as 5 years ago or have they changed them?
and is there a reliable site anywhere near Blaydon where I could find Tree Sparrows?
Thanks

Look on Google Maps for the A694, put it on Satellite view and the locations are more obvious.
Shibdon Pond is to the east of Shibdon Road, B6317.
For the Derwent Valley (I'm assuming lower), head west on the A694 you can park at the car park near Winlaton Mill (opposite a petrol station), or at Thornley Woodlands Centre.
Far Pastures, continue further west along the A694, shortly after the traffic lights watch out for a small road/track on the left. Follow that little road.
Clara Vale...never been, but this gives a bit of info:
http://www.gateshead.gov.uk/Documen...tryside/Clara-Vale-Leaflet-Nature-Reserve.pdf

Last time I saw Tree Sparrows round that way was in Barlow, near the Black Horse Inn. Just in the hedgerows along the main road. I haven't been that way for about a year though, so I can't guarantee them being around still...

thank you, but I think I should have been more clear, I know where they are its just Clara Vale is the one I cant remember how to get to.
But many thanks.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back