• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Year in Dorset (1 Viewer)

djurwin

I'm thinking of heading down to Dorset to start off the new year and am planning to visit Wareham Forest, Arne, Portland, Radipole - all the usual areas, but was wondering if anyone knows if there's anywhere you might see a Dipper in Dorset nowadays or a Little Owl or if there are still Lesser-Spotted Woodpeckers seen at Sherford Bridge or anywhere else? I can't remember the last time I saw any of those, except for a solitary Dipper in the Lake District in Spring 2007. Also any other suggestions of places to visit would be much appreciated.

Hi dj,
dippers are regularly seen on the river lym in lyme regis during the winter - check out roger Boswell's thread on this site
little owls roost in the quarry outside portland bird obs and are generally quite easy
lsw can't be guaranteed anywhere but sherford bridge and oaker's wood in moreton forest both throw up the occasional sighting
cheers,
james

Cheers, James. I didn't realise Little Owls still roosted in the quarry outside the obs. I did a bit of work experience there about eleven years ago and saw them most days then but I hadn't really seen them there recently (I've not been to Portland for a couple of years now though I must admit!) I'll check out that thread as well, and I think Lesser Spots are pretty difficult everywhere nowadays. There was a reliable site down in Devon somewhere (Yarner Woods I think it was called) years ago but I don't know what it's like these days. Many thanks for the info.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back