• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New / Updated Leica Ultravid HD+ coming (1 Viewer)

Yes seems a re-issue of the customized. I have them and I love them. Especially the metal hinge; on the armored model, the hinge is covered by thin plastic that always gets damaged.

Nice!
Note though that Leica sells these custumized without objective caps, and without case. You will need to also get a Leica 8x32 case (about $80) and Opticron lens covers of the right diameter. A bit of a hassle. But once you do it, these will be wonderful binoculars.

Looks nice! I prefer the original rubber-armoured finish for the 32 mm Ultravid model, but I can definitely see the appeal of this version.

Though for me, the Safari edition is the one to have among the special releases.

Curious that it says "made in Germany". Does Leica make the first batch in Germany then resume manufacturing in Portugal? In the website it says European made. Which is better for field use leather or rubber?

Last edited:
Which is better for field use leather or rubber?
Neither, it is a personal choice........ergonomics / tactile but whichever one is the most pleasing. Many would say the armouring helps absorb knocks, dirt et al......perhaps when it was proper rubber, but the modern synthetic stuff? Not sure. And personally I love the look and patina of a well used metal and leather instrument.

" Ooh, suit you sir! "

Not sure I like the chosen color ..... but then again, I know other manufacturers have come out with special bins with different color etc and they seem to go all right. Surprisingly, I never see a colored bin in the field. Not for me....I will stick to basic black and be on with it:) Jim

Does Leica make the first batch in Germany then resume manufacturing in Portugal?
No idea. But you can bet your ass that those re-selling Made in Germany units will let you know about it right away...

Which is better for field use leather or rubber?
Rubber armour does protect high-wear areas such as the ends of the objectives. Plus, it can be replaced. Which makes the binocular look in better condition, and helps resale.

Curious that it says "made in Germany". Does Leica make the first batch in Germany then resume manufacturing in Portugal? In the website it says European made. Which is better for field use leather or rubber?
Re. field use: in very cold weather, the metal can be cold for the hands.
Other than that, it's a bit of a wash. Rubber protects from dings and hits (but I don't typically hit the binoculars that much...). On the other hand, rubber, and especially the thin plastic over the hinge, can get damaged (by sun, oils, etc). Metal and leather are a bit more resistant in that respect. Leather can get scuffed if you walk through thorny bushes. Leather may absorb a bit of water and need to dry if you are in a downpour.

Re. field use: in very cold weather, the metal can be cold for the hands.
Other than that, it's a bit of a wash. Rubber protects from dings and hits (but I don't typically hit the binoculars that much...). On the other hand, rubber, and especially the thin plastic over the hinge, can get damaged (by sun, oils, etc). Metal and leather are a bit more resistant in that respect. Leather can get scuffed if you walk through thorny bushes. Leather may absorb a bit of water and need to dry if you are in a downpour.
On the other hand, slightly scuffed binoculars are fashionable among birdwatchers (they are a sign you are not new to the passion), and rubber armored Leica's are practically indestructible -- you always look like a new birder with them. So that's a plus for metal and leather ones!

I really like them, and like Leica special editions in general. Very tasteful designs. The 42s were also very nice when they were out a couple of years ago.
I wonder when Leica will make a special edition Noctivid...
I'd really prefer that they were working on a core-lineup binocular than this type of stuff, like a NV32 or rubber Retrovids, but Leica is gonna Leica.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back