• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New / Updated Leica Ultravid HD+ coming (1 Viewer)

1701074715_IMG_2130907.jpg

leica_40099_leica_ultravid_8x32_hd_plus_1798224.jpg

Very nice. I don’t recall the x32 being offered in leather apart from the ludicrously priced Hermès limited edition.

The hinge not being the same color is a bit of a miss, however, and the knob is too prominent compared to the hinge.

In addition to the special colors w/ brown leather, they appear to have a new hinge design, yeah?
No, looks to be exactly the same hinge. I believe what you're noticing/reacting to is more of the hinge showing given the lack of armoring. And really, it would make no sense to redesign the hinge. It's about as good as it gets as is (unless the plastic bothers you).

I don’t recall the x32 being offered in leather apart from the ludicrously priced Hermès limited edition.
There was also a leather Safari 32mm in green.

The leather/Ti configuration here has been available before in 42mm: Leica ULTRAVID 8x42 HD-PLUS, customized | Leica Camera UK
Much like BL 42 of course, but with HD+ glass... and yes, the hinge design does seem more prominent on this smaller model. Interestingly, the hinge cap says made in Germany not Portugal.

Swarovski also used to do the occasional fancy version (i.e. Nomad) but only on CL models...

Last edited:
No, looks to be exactly the same hinge. I believe what you're noticing/reacting to is more of the hinge showing given the lack of armoring. And really, it would make no sense to redesign the hinge. It's about as good as it gets as is (unless the plastic bothers you).

So, the highlighted portions of these 2 photos are only armoring differences?

Since I've not handled them, I can't say for sure, but it would seem that the old/original UVs armoring would also limit the hinges movement,
whereas the new leather model has no apparent limitation in the hinges movement.

Any ideas what the benefit of the additional material is? It doesn't seem to me that much could be gained, so why go to the trouble?

1701628750846.png1701628765854.png

So, the highlighted portions of these 2 photos are only armoring differences?  Correct

Since I've not handled them, I can't say for sure, but it would seem that the old/original UVs armoring would also limit the hinges movement,
whereas the new leather model has no apparent limitation in the hinges movement. Not readily noticeable, if at all. The contours of the rubber armouring and fitting ensured no "chub rub".

Any ideas what the benefit of the additional material is? It doesn't seem to me that much could be gained, so why go to the trouble? Purely for visual pleasure and a tactile comfort when using with bare hands on the faux leather.

View attachment 1546819View attachment 1546820

They did indeed offer this finish in the 42mm, see link in post # 9

Any ideas what the benefit of the additional material is? It doesn't seem to me that much could be gained, so why go to the trouble?
Nothing more than visuals, and since this new release is 90% about visuals/aesthetics, definitely worth reassessing every aspect.

It would have also been more difficult to apply the leather covering if they’d not altered that area to make room for it.

it would seem that the old/original UVs armoring would also limit the hinges movement
No, think about it. The bin is perfectly flat long before those armored bits would be in contact, and bends the other way in use.
It would have also been more difficult to apply the leather covering if they’d not altered that area to make room for it.
No, "that area" is part of the armor and simply disappears with it, revealing what's shown above.

I think UVs look great in leather and a 32 in particular would be a nice upscaling of the leather compact.

This would seem to be a reissue of the Customized version
(notwithstanding the ambiguous B&H reference to 'New Item - Coming Soon'):

Customized.jpg

The screen shot is from post #116 at: Leica eye candy....

And more on various luxe style Ultravids can be found at: Leica Ultravid vs HD-Plus versions
(post #12 shows the exposed hinges on the unarmored Blackline and Sliverline versions being the same as on the Customised version).

John

Last edited:
No, "that area" is part of the armor and simply disappears with it…
Once again, you’re arguing just to argue because you can’t stand to see the truth worded in any way you disagree with.

Last edited by a moderator:
No, "that area" is part of the armor and simply disappears with it, revealing what's shown above.
Once again, you’re arguing just to argue because you can’t stand to see the truth worded in any way you disagree with. Or you’re drunk and didn’t need a reason.
No, you're being dense and now deliberately offensive. Either you didn't manage to say what you meant to, or you have some obvious misunderstanding, because no alteration was necessary to avoid difficulty applying the leather covering. In either case one wouldn't expect you to want to call further attention to the error. What a ridiculous thing to be arguing and insulting people over. Excuse me for pointing this out, and stop carrying a grudge over whatever the last time was about, which wasn't my problem either.

Last edited:
What a ridiculous thing to be arguing…
Then just stop ahead of time in that case. The appearance was totally altered and one simple look makes it readily apparent. The look was altered by leaving off the curved area in question and made the visual redesign effortless.

This would seem to be a reissue of the Customized version
(notwithstanding the ambiguous B&H reference to 'New Item - Coming Soon'):

View attachment 1546869

The screen shot is from post #116 at: Leica eye candy....

And more on various luxe style Ultravids can be found at: Leica Ultravid vs HD-Plus versions
(post #12 shows the exposed hinges on the unarmored Blackline and Sliverline versions being the same as on the Customised version).

John

Yes seems a re-issue of the customized. I have them and I love them. Especially the metal hinge; on the armored model, the hinge is covered by thin plastic that always gets damaged.

Nice!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back