• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nairobi (1 Viewer)

mike davidson

Our local patch is Nairobi and environs , which is superb for birding . Any one coming to Nairobi for a holiday or business should be aware that there is a wednesdday morning bird walk EVERY week and we count regularly 40/50 species . Check with Nature Kenya at the Museum for details

Mike D in Nairobi

Mike you are so lucky!! Back in 1975-6 I worked in Nairobi for two years and have never seen anything since to compare for the birds, so good to hear that nothing has changed.

PossumCorner said:
Mike you are so lucky!! Back in 1975-6 I worked in Nairobi for two years and have never seen anything since to compare for the birds, so good to hear that nothing has changed.

Nairobi itself has got much worse , especially the traffic . But the birding is still great and I think the birding aids , guides, ie Zimmerman, lists which we are continuing to do for each IBA and some very good professional birders are a great help .

Kenya must be one the best places in the world ,. I met a recent U.S. birder who was here for two weeks and his first time . He clocked 640 species of which nearly 400 were new

Mike

Hi Mike,

Spent many happy days and weeks at Elsamere, Naivasha, Nakuru, Elmenteita, Hells gate, etc.

Is it true that Nairobi and Mombasa are now unsafe?... I birded Kenya many times in the 80's with no problems...but how is it now??

I wonder what happened to John Carver of Elsamere and Nakuru?

John.

john barclay said:
Hi Mike,

Spent many happy days and weeks at Elsamere, Naivasha, Nakuru, Elmenteita, Hells gate, etc.

Is it true that Nairobi and Mombasa are now unsafe?... I birded Kenya many times in the 80's with no problems...but how is it now??

I wonder what happened to John Carver of Elsamere and Nakuru?

John.
John

they are safe as anywhere else . I have been here nearly 13 years and still enjoy . Will ask about John Carver

Mike

I think I remember reading that over 600 species have been seen in and around Nairobi, and it's certainly a huge thrill for first time visitors to Africa to see Marabou Storks walking around on grass verges in the city. And what a privilege having such a superb site as Nairobi NP right on your doorstep.

But when you say, Mike, that Nairobi is as safe as anywhere, do you mean anywhere else in Kenya or anywhere else in general? Surely not the latter. I must stress that we had no problems whatsoever last month in Kenya but we were travelling with three Kenyans who were extremely concerned about safety in Nairobi and made it very clear what we could and couldn't do. Lonely Planet calls it the most dangerous city in Africa, and I imagine that there's some pretty stiff competition for that title!
Where do you Nairobi birders go birding Mike, besides the National Park? I wouldn't fancy going into Uhuru Park, for example, with binoculars round my neck.

E

mike davidson said:
they are safe as anywhere else .

Sorry but that simply isn't true. Nairobi has got a lot of things going for it, but safety isn't one of them. I've spent six months in Kenya and still have the scars of a machete attack that three guys were kind enough to carry out on me. Though the level of violence in my case was worse than in many other examples, it was not an isolated case - whilst I was there several other people I met were mugged in Nairobi, one very unfortunate guy twice in one day! Lonely Planet is quite right to warn of the potential dangers in Nairobi and along the coastlines to the north and south of Mombassa. Attacks are not confined to 'dark alleys' nor to nighttime (though these are obviously better avoided) - mugging can occur in crowded strreets and during the day.

This said, birding in Kenya is fantastic and no one should be put off ...just don't go wandering with binoculars or other valuables in Nairobi city or, without local knowledge (eg from your hotel), the areas along the coast. In fact, by and large, just skip Nairobi (except perhaps Nairobi National Park) - it is not a particularly attractive place and birding is a billion times better elsewhere in the country.

Jos, I read your reply some time ago with horror. I hope the physical and mental scars are healing - it must have been dreadful.

I would love to return to Kenya but a lone birder is a real target, plus I can think of safer place than Kenya right now.

John.

john barclay said:
I read your reply some time ago with horror. I hope the physical and mental scars are healing - it must have been dreadful.

Wasn't pretty - without adding too much gore, they exposed the bone in my arm and near severed one thumb, plus a few rather smaller cuts ...but, somehow, it didn't really put me off the country. In fact, I didn't leave the country - after the attack, there was a period of about a month when I had no feeling in my left arm and couldn't move the fingers, etc, so very much was confined to Nairobi (for hospital etc). Then slowly got some feeling back, so decided to get travelling again - climbed Mount Kenya in a sling :king: and then rented a jeep and returned to the Masai for a while. Iin the end, I stayed in Kenya for another three months after the attack and have to say I enjoyed it. As I said in earlier post, I wouldn't necessarily suggest people avoid Kenya (quite the opposite) but people should be aware that some parts of the country are not as safe as might be assumed.

PS. for what it's worth, also spent close on two years in southern Africa and I reckon that knocks spots off Kenya ;)

Hi Edward

pleased to see you got the 4 Kenyan bird right for the Papua guy.

I agree entirely with all that Nairobi city centre is NOT safe , I try to avoid as much as possible .But there is so much more to see close to Nairobi and then upcountry is great . To all reading this do not be put off coming to Kenya , but take the right precautions and it is unlikely any thing will happen . A good guide helps as well as he knows where to go and not to go .

As far as where the wed bird walk goes , there must be 20 good sites around Nairobi . For example a week ago we wemt to Brookside Dairy ponds just up the Thika rd. Saw swveral raptors, including a fight between a Wahlbergs eagle and a buzzard nesting. The best sight was 30 crowned cranes dancing on water hyacinth.

Mike

Edward said:
I think I remember reading that over 600 species have been seen in and around Nairobi, and it's certainly a huge thrill for first time visitors to Africa to see Marabou Storks walking around on grass verges in the city. And what a privilege having such a superb site as Nairobi NP right on your doorstep.

But when you say, Mike, that Nairobi is as safe as anywhere, do you mean anywhere else in Kenya or anywhere else in general? Surely not the latter. I must stress that we had no problems whatsoever last month in Kenya but we were travelling with three Kenyans who were extremely concerned about safety in Nairobi and made it very clear what we could and couldn't do. Lonely Planet calls it the most dangerous city in Africa, and I imagine that there's some pretty stiff competition for that title!
Where do you Nairobi birders go birding Mike, besides the National Park? I wouldn't fancy going into Uhuru Park, for example, with binoculars round my neck.

E

JOS

POLE SANA about the attack on you . I agree if you ,venture downtown Nairobi you are at risk . But there are so many places to see close to Nairobi , best with a guide and of course upcountry .

Mike

Jos Stratford said:
Sorry but that simply isn't true. Nairobi has got a lot of things going for it, but safety isn't one of them. I've spent six months in Kenya and still have the scars of a machete attack that three guys were kind enough to carry out on me. Though the level of violence in my case was worse than in many other examples, it was not an isolated case - whilst I was there several other people I met were mugged in Nairobi, one very unfortunate guy twice in one day! Lonely Planet is quite right to warn of the potential dangers in Nairobi and along the coastlines to the north and south of Mombassa. Attacks are not confined to 'dark alleys' nor to nighttime (though these are obviously better avoided) - mugging can occur in crowded strreets and during the day.

This said, birding in Kenya is fantastic and no one should be put off ...just don't go wandering with binoculars or other valuables in Nairobi city or, without local knowledge (eg from your hotel), the areas along the coast. In fact, by and large, just skip Nairobi (except perhaps Nairobi National Park) - it is not a particularly attractive place and birding is a billion times better elsewhere in the country.

Visit to Nairobi

mike davidson said:
JOS

POLE SANA about the attack on you . I agree if you ,venture downtown Nairobi you are at risk . But there are so many places to see close to Nairobi , best with a guide and of course upcountry .

Mike

Mike, I might have a day to spend in Nairobi at the end of June. Could you recommend a guide to spend the day with and give me some idea of what it might cost. I would be quite happy to travel a little out of the city if it meant that it might be safe to use binos or a camera
Cheers
Nigel

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back