• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

My video review of Zeiss SFL 8x40 (1 Viewer)

binomania

Hello everybody. On my website "Binomania.it" you can find the review of the Zeiss SFL 8x40, including video on the YouTube channel. In my site there is the translation option in various languages, I hope it will help you.

English subtitles by dowsub.com have also been included in the video, you simply need to activate them from the YouTube settings.

Complete article: Recensione del binocolo ZEISS SFL 8x40 - RECENSIONI DI BINOCOLI, OTTICHE SPORTIVE E TELESCOPI ASTRONOMICI ...dal 2006
Video on YouTube:

Kind Regards from Italy
Pier

Hello everybody. On my website "Binomania.it" you can find the review of the Zeiss SFL 8x40, including video on the YouTube channel. In my site there is the translation option in various languages, I hope it will help you.

English subtitles by dowsub.com have also been included in the video, you simply need to activate them from the YouTube settings.

Complete article: Recensione del binocolo ZEISS SFL 8x40 - RECENSIONI DI BINOCOLI, OTTICHE SPORTIVE E TELESCOPI ASTRONOMICI ...dal 2006
Video on YouTube:

Kind Regards from Italy
Pier
Pier
Unfortunately the translation option is not working.
When I ask for English, French or German, nothing changes., the text remains in Italian!

Lee

Same here but as already said in a previous thread, Google Chrome can do it and the english translation is quite good.

I'm using the SLF 8x40 in Italy right now, watching birds (heron) and boats in Grado's Laguna.
Being in the most beautiful country in the world with great weather and excellent binoculars is fun. I still need to find a way to mix binoculars and food, another marvel here to be in heaven.

Thanks to Pier for another excellent review.

Video on YouTube:

Kind Regards from Italy
Pier

Thank you for another exciting review, Piergiovanni!
One brief remark: your AFOV number (campo apparente) is too optimistic, with 64 degrees it is way above Zeiss‘ spec (60) and corresponds actually to the SF 8x42 AFOV (my own measurement for the SFL resulted in 60 degrees).

Canip

Pier
Unfortunately the translation option is not working.
When I ask for English, French or German, nothing changes., the text remains in Italian!

Lee
Hello everybody. I answer first to Lee and Henry, and excuse me if you have to see my big face in this picture again. Excuse the advertising too, but for me it is my primary job with which I support the family and I live this way and with the paypal donations of the readers. In the website I have a "plugin" that allows you to choose the language. I have seen that its position depends on the browser of personal computers but also on the operating system of smartphones. Either way, it is visible in everyone, you should try to find him… as long as you feel like it. For the rest, thanks to everyone for the comments. For the apparent field, to standardize even the old articles, I always use the "old formula" real field x magnification or linear field : 17.45 meters. Years ago I mentioned both of them, but then I stopped. For focusing, that of the sample I tested was excellent, including the fluidity of the knob. Ciao belli!

Attachments

• translate.jpg
    translate.jpg
    147 KB · Views: 7
Hello everybody. I answer first to Lee and Henry, and excuse me if you have to see my big face in this picture again. Excuse the advertising too, but for me it is my primary job with which I support the family and I live this way and with the paypal donations of the readers. In the website I have a "plugin" that allows you to choose the language. I have seen that its position depends on the browser of personal computers but also on the operating system of smartphones. Either way, it is visible in everyone, you should try to find him… as long as you feel like it. For the rest, thanks to everyone for the comments. For the apparent field, to standardize even the old articles, I always use the "old formula" real field x magnification or linear field : 17.45 meters. Years ago I mentioned both of them, but then I stopped. For focusing, that of the sample I tested was excellent, including the fluidity of the knob. Ciao belli!
Ciao Pier
The translation plugin is easy to find but it does not work for me at all. I think I already mentioned that if I select French, German or English translation, your text remains in Italian..........

Ciao bello
Lee

For the apparent field, to standardize even the old articles, I always use the "old formula" real field x magnification or linear field : 17.45 meters. Years ago I mentioned both of them, but then I stopped.

… which means that you are sometimes, as here in the case of the SFL, really far away from the true AFOV value, i.e. the one that corresponds to what you perceive when using the binocular - in my view a pity 😞

… which means that you are sometimes, as here in the case of the SFL, really far away from the true AFOV value, i.e. the one that corresponds to what you perceive when using the binocular - in my view a pity 😞
Which the manufacturers (apart from Swarovski) are not entirely innocent of.

Example Zeiss, with the SF the true AFOV is specified, with the conquest it uses the simple formula that always raises question marks, especially for beginners.
I have no idea why the manufacturers can't just take the trouble to measure their binoculars correctly?!

Andreas

Which the manufacturers (apart from Swarovski) are not entirely innocent of.

Example Zeiss, with the SF the true AFOV is specified, with the conquest it uses the simple formula that always raises question marks, especially for beginners.
I have no idea why the manufacturers can't just take the trouble to measure their binoculars correctly?!

Andreas
Is it possible I’m not the only one? I get in words what the AFOV is supposed to represent, the width of view our eyes see, as distinct from actual angle of the FOV used to calculate linear. It goes against every thing, I ever thought I knew about a Bino that greater magnification yields wider FOV yet isn’t that what that so called “older” formula infers mag x linear FOV. Am I not alone Andreas or Canip?

Is it possible I’m not the only one? I get in words what the AFOV is supposed to represent, the width of view our eyes see, as distinct from actual angle of the FOV used to calculate linear. It goes against every thing, I ever thought I knew about a Bino that greater magnification yields wider FOV yet isn’t that what that so called “older” formula infers mag x linear FOV. Am I not alone Andreas or Canip?
Hi Tom,

Honestly, I don't understand your question, maybe my English is too bad.
Could you simplify the question again for a stupid?;)

Andreas

Hi Tom,

Honestly, I don't understand your question, maybe my English is too bad.
Could you simplify the question again for a stupid?;)

Andreas
OK, lemme try. Taking off from what you posted about true AFOV vs “the simple formula that always raises questions,” I think I’m may be one that struggles with those questions.

I’m reasonably sure I get what AFOV represents in words/conceptually. If a manufacturer publishes AFOV as something measured in the lab, I’m cool with it.

It’s that old simple formula that confuses me. I’ve long thought I understood as magnification increases that FOV decreases. That simple formula says the opposite. If calculating AFOV says you magnify FOV by magnification that then means the higher the magnification the wider the FOV.

How can this be?

It goes against every thing, I ever thought I knew about a Bino that greater magnification yields wider [A!]FOV
Stop and think... this is so, but only given the same real FOV. If you take that view and magnify it further, it will get wider. But both real field and magnification enter into the equation for AFOV. And of course the real field is generally smaller as magnification increases, so this largely balances giving many models similar AFOVs around 60° regardless of specs.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back