• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

My SLR birding cameras and lenses (1 Viewer)

stoop

Japan
Hi Pentax people!
Hope its ok starting a new thread. I am interested in Thomas' collection of lenses under "birding with pentax" and wanted to note the beautiful examples attached. I've been reflecting on my experiences and wanted to put down a brief history:

1985: Got Pentax K1000, and bought a Sigma 70-250mm = Very challenging to start out with but got 'one' reasonable pic every three months. Bought a Takumar 400mm f5.6 secondhand around 1990 and a kenko 2x= Very old, rattley lens with ghosting when there was any hint of glare.

Early '90s wanted to get an autofocus camera and looked into getting a Pentax 400mm with autofocus in Melbourne (Australia) but was told it would cost $4500au and thought I should only spend that money if I was getting a car.

1994: Pentax Z-20 + Sigma 70-300mm were intros to the amazing world of motordrives and autofocus = Actually got some nice flight shots consistantly unless it was too bright or sunny.
1995: Bought a Tamron 500mm mirror= Very handy and exciting to get so close but back to manual focus and 'donut-rings' upset the backgrounds.
1997: Z-1 and picked up a Sigma 170-500mm APO in '98. (Great combo)
2001: bought my most important Japanese souvenir: 1 Pentax FA*400mmF5.6ED(IF)...and have used it ever since.....on the Z-1 til I got a *ist DS in 2005, a bit on a K100D in 06 and this year juggling between the DS and K10D.
I like this lens (600mm on the digital bodies) but it is noisy (not IQ but dbs) and the K10's autofocus is fast but a bit tempramental. ? I went to Nagano prefecture last month and stood next to Japanese birders up on a quiet mountain 1600 metres high to see raptors migrating. The noise caused people (carrying huge, quite 'NASA' looking cameras) to turn and look at me and I got embarrassed -Like I had some strange stomach problem. I had to switch to manual...
I read last year about the 300mmf4 with SMD and (and thinking that's a perfect 450mm for me) bought the K10 hoping to get use to it before the 'new' lens was released this September. Now it's been delayed til maybe next March? (At the end of the best birding season here...when they head north and are replaced by humidity and insects)
I've really been wanting a 300mm f4 with quiter focus since getting a digital) -I cycle with my gear in a back-pack and don't want to carry a tripod. I am now thinking of selling the farm and going for a different make, although I want to keep my 400mm. Hmmm.....sorry for the blurb...(Too much birding and no play, maybe)

One unedited pic attached:

1st: 1991: Pentax K1000 with Sigma 70-250mm; with Kodak GOLD 100 ($3) scanned image of "Australian Kestrel" taken at Jan Juc (next to Bell's Beach) Victoria, Australia.

Sorry too long but I'm confused now and wonder if the new f4 300mm would be that much of a change to what I have..anyway3:)
Sorry for too much detail;). Happy Pentabirding!

Attachments

• IMG0030.jpg
    IMG0030.jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 255
Last edited:
Well anyway, heard more rumours about new tele-lenses possibly coming or re-announced in January 2008, along with a K20 and K200.

I'd really like the 300mm f4 with SDM.

Hi stoop. Re changing brands. I considered getting a Pentax when I got my first DSLR but opted for Canon instead. It seemed to me at the time Canon made a much more comprehensive set of lenses (which is true of course) which swayed my decision. Now for better or worse I'll stay with Canon.

I guess the Sigma 80-400 OS and some of the bigger expensive faster Sigma primes are made in Pentax mount, but for me image stabilization be it with the affordable Canon 70-300 IS or the pricey (I have it on loan) 100-400 IS has dramatically improved my pictures. Like you I don't always bird by car so I don't carry a tripod. I know the newer Pentaxes have image stabilization (or the Pentax equivalent) built in. How well does it work? The aforementioned Sigma is the only lens with built in IS/VR/anti-shake that can be used with Pentax right?

Thanks for your comments, Stu. Actually I read your reply and went to check my history with the K10 inbuilt SR "shake-reduction". I'd have to say it's pretty good: A while ago, I uploaded an image to the gallery of a Paradise Riflebird taken early on a very bleek, misty mountain, hand-held with my 400mm (=600mm re:35mm standard) at 1/160, F5.6 ISO200. Any movement issues were with the fidgity subject himself.

The biggest problem I had in getting the shot I rememebr was with the AF. It quickly focusses on the subject and just as quickly goes off just as I'm pressing the shutter but.
But, that said. In 3 fleeting encounters with hunting peregrines this year I found myself spinning on the ball of my foot with a single chance and the AF nailed them. -It just doesn't like stationary or slow moving subjects such as gulls or kites gliding at a few knots. It goes crazy and all over the place. Maybe the AF gets bored and has too much time to think or maybe it's too sophisticated, makes it own IDs and only likes peregrines. ?

-Actually I own an old Sigma 170-500mm and got it out recently and although its beaten-up, I discovered it focusses smoother and much quieter than my treasured Pentax 400mm. Maybe the mechanics of the latter have become a bit worn. It does 'stick' sometimes and not others. Great glass, though. I'd be in love with my combo if I could get a bionic transplant for the lens. Apologies for too much. Thanks.
(Still browsing Cn/Nn bodies, and all other lens options).

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back