• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

My Local Patch (1 Viewer)

mark ridsdale

My local patch has been affectionately called "The Docks".It comprised of a large area of waste groundin the sw part of North Shields where a rail system used to take coal down to three docks.The area is massive and various habitats sprang up which as it developed so did the bird species.Common breeding species included Skylark,Meadow pipit,Linnet and various run of the mill species.But regular breeders like Whinchat,Ring plover,Redshank,Lapwing and possibly Snipe.Being directly opposite Jarrow slake waders were a n interesting feature(Spot shank,Greenshank Wood and Green sand).All in all around 100 species have been recorded by me,but unfortunately devopement of such a large "waste area" was eneviable and so the Royal Quays developement began in the early 90's.Being sceptical of such things i assumed this was the end of my rich local patch,but my occasional wanderings through have suprised me.A park has been included with a good stream and pond(adding Kingfisher,mute swan and breeding Moorhen),new trees planted have attracted breeding Chiffchaff and Lesser whitethroat as well a Waxwing!

mark ridsdale said:
My local patch has been affectionately called "The Docks".It comprised of a large area of waste ground in the sw part of North Shields where a rail system used to take coal down to three docks.The area is massive and various habitats sprang up which as it developed so did the bird species.Common breeding species included Skylark,Meadow pipit,Linnet and various run of the mill species.But regular breeders like Whinchat,Ring plover,Redshank,Lapwing and possibly Snipe.Being directly opposite Jarrow slake waders were a n interesting feature(Spot shank,Greenshank Wood and Green sand).All in all around 100 species have been recorded by me,but unfortunately devopement of such a large "waste area" was eneviable and so the Royal Quays development began in the early 90's.Being sceptical of such things i assumed this was the end of my rich local patch,but my occasional wanderings through have surprised me.A park has been included with a good stream and pond(adding Kingfisher,mute swan and breeding Moorhen),new trees planted have attracted breeding Chiffchaff and Lesser whitethroat as well a Waxwing!

Hi Mark
I know the area well your talking about. Im glad there is still lots of birds to be seen down there. its a shame that when the Royal Quays was built, the Barns Owls and Wheatear vanished thou.

Hi Mark,

I lived in North Shields for a few years, and spent the odd day at the docks myself - glad to see it can still turn up a few surprises.

Do you ever check out Northumberland Park?

That's a real "Dark Horse", and most winters it will contain something of note.

The fact that it's next to one of my old stomping grounds the Tynemouth Lodge pub, didn't hurt!

;)

Last edited:
Keith Reeder said:
Hi Mark,

I lived in North Shields for a few years, and spent the odd day at the docks myself - glad to see it can still turn up a few surprises.

Do you ever check out Northumberland Park?

That's a real "Dark Horse", and most winters it will contain something of note.

The fact that it's next to one of my old stomping grounds the Tynemouth Lodge pub, didn't hurt!

;)
yes had a pint or two there myself but apart from a couple of Yellow broweds(missed out on the Humes a couple of years ago)ive not seen that much.Although not really put in that much time there.What have you had there?

LSB said:
Hi Mark
I know the area well your talking about. Im glad there is still lots of birds to be seen down there. its a shame that when the Royal Quays was built, the Barns Owls and Wheatear vanished thou.
So have you had Barn owl there?Ive only had Short eared owl.

By the way has anyone been to the nature reserve in North Shields which is part of the old dock area?!Its directly opposite Jarrow Slake by what is Northumberland Dock.Its apparently private since its on Water authority land but its got a hide and i think a scrape??

LSB said:
Hi Mark
By the way love your web site and impressed by your list for St Marys.Ive been going there since 1982 (although hardly any lately due to work/family) but not nearly got so many species its a testement to the hours you must put in

mark ridsdale said:
By the way love your web site and impressed by your list for St Marys.Ive been going there since 1982 (although hardly any lately due to work/family) but not nearly got so many species its a testament to the hours you must put in

Thanks Mark,
Last time I had Barn Owl there was late 80's early 90's just as the clearance started. Its a shame because they used to breed there when it was scrub land.
I don't know anything about hide/scrape area maybe someone else can update you on this.Any chance of of putting your list online ???? 8-P

Hi Mark,

I'd actually left N Shields before I found out that Northumberland Park ever got anything more in it than starlings and coots!

I'd be happy enough with the YB warblers, mind - they've been a bit of a bogie bird for me, and I'm still after my first good views.

Hi Mark,

As i understand it the nature reserve you speak of was intended to be open to the public, but in its early stages there was a lot of vandalism, so it was decided to keep it private.

I think a member of Northumberland and Tyneside bird club has permission to monitor the reserve so try contacting someone there for more information.

Good hunting Brian.

Hi Mark, No matter where us birdo's visit we can be treated by our feathered friends but all in all there is nothing quite the same as your local patch. You get to know the regular special places within and easily notice the changes. I have never been to your Docks but I certainly value my local patch. Regards Ian.

LSB said:
Thanks Mark,
Last time I had Barn Owl there was late 80's early 90's just as the clearance started. Its a shame because they used to breed there when it was scrub land.
I don't know anything about hide/scrape area maybe someone else can update you on this.Any chance of of putting your list online ???? 8-P
G c grebe
Cormorant
G.Heron
M.Swan
W.Swan
P.F.Goose
Greylag
C.Goose
Barnacle.Goose(last 5 species fly overs)
Mallard(B 1-2 pairs)
Teal
Wigeon
Tufted Duck
Scaup
Pochard
Eider(a pair once at the mouth of Northumberland dock)
Goldeneye
Sparrowhawk
Kestrel(B one pair)
G.Partridge(B 2-4 pairs)
Pheasant
Moorhen(B)
Coot
Lapwing(B 3-10 pairs before developement)
Oystercatcher
Ring plover(B 1-2 pairs before developement)
Golden plover
Grey Plover
Turnstone
Dunlin
Redshank
S.Redshank
Greenshank
Green Sandpiper
Wood Sandpiper(one flyover)
Common Sandpiper
Ruff
Bar tailed godwit
Curlew
Whimbrel
Snipe( regularly displayed but no proof of breeding)
Jack Snipe
Woodcock
Black headed,Common,Herring(B),LBB,GBB gulls
Glaucous gull
Kittiwake
Common,Arctic,and Sandwich terns(regularly flying NE presumably to St marys during late summer)
Woodpigeon(B)
Stockdove
Feral pigeon(B)
Collared dove(B)
Cuckoo(2-3 calling birds which used to breed but now extremely rare)
S.e.Owl
Swift((B)
Kingfisher
Skylark(B 10-20 pairs before 1990)
Meadow pipit(B same as above species)
Tree pipit
Grey wagtail
Pied wagtail(B)
Yellow wagtail
Dunnock(B)
Wren(B)
Waxwing
Robin(B)
Mistle Thrush(B)
Song Thrush(B)
Redwing
Fieldfare
Blackbird(B)
Wheatear(non breeding(?)birds regularly held territories well into summer)
Whinchat(B 2-3 pairs)
Redstart
Sedge warbler(B 5-10 pairs)
Blackcap(B 1-2 pairs)
Garden warbler
Whitethroat(B 5-10 pairs)
Lesser whitethroat
Willow warbler(B 2-5 pairs)
Chiffchaff(one territory held last year)
Goldcrest
Spotted flycatcher
Swallow(seen throughout summer although not proven to breed in area)
Sand martin
House martin
Blue tit(B)
Great tit(B)
Coal tit
Carrion crow(B)
Rook
Magpie(B)
Jackdaw
Starling(B)
House sparrow(B)
Chaffinch(B)
Goldfinch(B)
Linnet(B)
Redpoll
Greenfinch(B)
Reed bunting(B)
Yellowhammer(B)

Lonchurabells said:
Hi Mark, No matter where us birdo's visit we can be treated by our feathered friends but all in all there is nothing quite the same as your local patch. You get to know the regular special places within and easily notice the changes. I have never been to your Docks but I certainly value my local patch. Regards Ian.
So where is your local patch and what delights have you had there?

My local patch - Jenolan Caves Reserve

mark ridsdale said:
So where is your local patch and what delights have you had there?
Hi Mark,

I work at a very popular tourist site - Jenolan Caves Reserve, west of Sydney NSW. The visitor area interfaces with wilderness so we get some really interesting things happening like Nankeen Kestrals nesting at the Grand Arch entrance which also has cars and bus's driving through all day long and P.A. system calling up visitors to the next tour etc. Sooty Owl also roosts in there and leaves his pellets as signposts and yet most visiotrs never see them. Rock Warblers had become quite rare but are now making a come back which is really wonderful.

I am lucky to work in my local birding patch and get to see things happening in between each guided tour I do. Regards Ian. (Lonchurabells).

Lonchurabells said:
Hi Mark,

I work at a very popular tourist site - Jenolan Caves Reserve, west of Sydney NSW. The visitor area interfaces with wilderness so we get some really interesting things happening like Nankeen Kestrals nesting at the Grand Arch entrance which also has cars and bus's driving through all day long and P.A. system calling up visitors to the next tour etc. Sooty Owl also roosts in there and leaves his pellets as signposts and yet most visiotrs never see them. Rock Warblers had become quite rare but are now making a come back which is really wonderful.

I am lucky to work in my local birding patch and get to see things happening in between each guided tour I do. Regards Ian. (Lonchurabells).
Rock warblers were one of my favourite birds i got in the Sydney area but i got them at Royal Nat.Park(they are so full of personality).Spent a few days in the Glen Davis area which i loved too.Star bird there and possibly of my whole Ozzy trip was Regent Honeyeater....Absolutely BRILL birds.Never got Sooty owl but did manage to get Powerful owl in North Sydney another mega bird

Mark

Thought id say hallo considering we live in the same town. Im not an exerienced birdwatcher, but am keen to learn more, having taken more of an interest since getting a dog and being out walking a lot. Hopefully if you, or anyone else in the area, (i usually walk the beaches of Tynemouth, plus visit St Marys, Holywell Dene etc) sees me walking my young whippet pup whilst struggling to look through some cheap binoculars and clumsily thumbing a fieldguide, they could say hallo, and give me a few tips on what im looking at.
Today i walked along the longsands, down along the fish quay, and then up through Northumberland Park in the dusk, seeing plenty but identifying little. Its so annoying when you see loads but dont know what they are. I suppose it'll take time to get the hang of putting names to sightings.

markEll said:
Mark

Thought id say hallo considering we live in the same town. Im not an exerienced birdwatcher, but am keen to learn more, having taken more of an interest since getting a dog and being out walking a lot. Hopefully if you, or anyone else in the area, (i usually walk the beaches of Tynemouth, plus visit St Marys, Holywell Dene etc) sees me walking my young whippet pup whilst struggling to look through some cheap binoculars and clumsily thumbing a fieldguide, they could say hallo, and give me a few tips on what im looking at.
Today i walked along the longsands, down along the fish quay, and then up through Northumberland Park in the dusk, seeing plenty but identifying little. Its so annoying when you see loads but dont know what they are. I suppose it'll take time to get the hang of putting names to sightings.
hi markEll dont get out as much as would like but if you (in the next few months)want a hand with a little id-ing i dont mind meeting up and doing a few hours birding together.I know how it is when you first start. Anyway my E-mail address is [email protected]

mark ridsdale said:
hi markEll dont get out as much as would like but if you (in the next few months)want a hand with a little id-ing i dont mind meeting up and doing a few hours birding together.I know how it is when you first start. Anyway my E-mail address is [email protected]

thats kind of you Mark. im going to be quite busy doing family stuff over the xmas period but I'll keep it in mind as i still have to walk the dog. Cheers.

Hi Mark,

You certainly get around! I saw a Regent Honeyeater yesterday Nth of Mudgee near the Goulburn River National Park. Very exciting!

Regards Ian (Lonchurabells).

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back