• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Moth identification, London, today (1 Viewer)

Hi. After searching hi 'n' low online, and in my books, all I can say is, to me, it looks like one of the snout moths?!! As for which one, I'm totally stumped!! 😂 Hopefully, someone will chip-in soon, with a better reply!

What does micro mean? It seems to be a female bee moth.
Moths are divided (artificially, just like all human classification of nature) into macros (big) and micros (small) though there are exceptions on both sides making for overlap. Many moth-ers stick generally to macros but will recognise a few big micros like Mother of Pearl and Meal Moth.

John

Having caught my first Pinion-streaked Snout last night, initially thinking it was a smallish Bee Moth, I would say that this is also a Pinion-streaked Snout which is a macro moth, but of a micro-moth size.

Having caught my first Pinion-streaked Snout last night, initially thinking it was a smallish Bee Moth, I would say that this is also a Pinion-streaked Snout which is a macro moth, but of a micro-moth size.
Hi. Yes, that was my first thought, pinion/snout, but the patterns on the wings threw me!...... couldn't quite pin it down!

Looking at plenty of images on-line I don't see one that looks like this one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back