• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Which small moths rest with wings wide open, semicircle? (1 Viewer)

avra

United Kingdom
Hi. We are in central London. Two small moths have appeared in our kitchen. One was black, with a few dots, gold or cream, and it sometimes rested with it's wings wide open, sometimes with them folded up. About 18-20mm. The other (still in the kitchen) is a grey mix, 16mm across, and it always rests with wings wide open, like a semi-circle. We are not equipped to photograph these tiny delicate things, but the photo at least shows the resting shape. We don't know whether to gently evict it or not - there are strong icy winds outside and not much greenery. There are so many micro moths and little moths in the UK - but if anyone can help narrow it down via resting wings position I would be grateful. Thanks.APRIL 22 2024 2cm moth wingswide greyish.jpg

The small semi-circular moth is probably — Twenty-plumed moth —-.Alucita hexadactyla . The one in the photo is a geometrid of some sort , I can’t really be more specific , maybe a Pug moth.

Thank you. I can only photograph it against the light, with a camera not suitable for the purpose - it is light and dark grey. I found a pug image online - it could be that.

Last edited:
For us, this is mildly exciting. We usually only get clothes moths in our flat. The drop in wildlife numbers is frightening. We used to have small groups of greenfinches, yellowhammers and other small birds around the roof garden. They have stopped visiting altogether. We just have a couple of great tits, and some pigeons. The dunnock couple left the area after the landlord's horticulture contractor savagely hacked back the greenery on the waste bins cupboard where the birds used to nest. Bee numbers are noticeably down, and we don't really need net screens to keep flies out any more. So we are very pleased to host a pug. But presumably it needs to be outdoors where it might find another pug for mating.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back