• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Malaria in Ecuador (1 Viewer)

Phaethon

I may be birding the Napo region of Ecuador in February. i saw on another thread that the "western" bird guides do not do malarial prophylaxis. I can't stand taking malarone or the other malaria preventatives and wondered if anyone knows how safe it is to visit Sacha, Napo Wildlife Center, La Selva or Yaturi without taking the pills.

On my last visit to Darien in Panama we found out that the guides don't do malarial prophylaxis there as the nearest reported malaria cases are 200 miles away.

BA

I would suggest that you read the Centre for Disease Control website for information on malaria in the region you are going and the recommended anti-malarial pills.

I may be birding the Napo region of Ecuador in February. i saw on another thread that the "western" bird guides do not do malarial prophylaxis. I can't stand taking malarone or the other malaria preventatives and wondered if anyone knows how safe it is to visit Sacha, Napo Wildlife Center, La Selva or Yaturi without taking the pills.

I have heard that you can be ok without malaria tablets if you take adequate precautions such as long sleeved shirts (especially at night), mosquito nets and plenty of mozzy repellant.

Malaria prevention medication makes me sick, badly, and as I'm hoping to go to the Amazon basin at some point within the next few months I'm going to have to find an alternative or just use the precautions I mentioned above. I'll definitely be taking DEET based bug repellant with me.

I went to a lodge near there and we asked the guides about malaria and mosquitoes. They said that a lot of the visitors take them, but only one person in the community near them has been killed from it in the last 100 years.

On my last visit to Darien in Panama we found out that the guides don't do malarial prophylaxis there as the nearest reported malaria cases are 200 miles away.

BA

Travax is the Scottish website that health professionals use and the same advice is generally available to the general public. Here's what it says about Ecuador today

Malaria is widespread throughout the year below 1500m, particularly in smaller towns and rural areas in the north and east of the country. Serious malaria occurs to the east of the Andes in the Napo and Pastaza river valleys and also to the west of the Andes in the river plains of Esmeraldas and neighbouring Manabi provinces. There is very low to no risk in Guayaquil, Quito or Galapagos Islands (go to the Malaria Map).
Malaria precautions are essential. Avoid mosquito bites by covering up with clothing such as long sleeves and long trousers especially after sunset, using insect repellents on exposed skin and, when necessary, sleeping under a mosquito net.
Check with your doctor or nurse about suitable antimalarial tablets.
Atovaquone/proguanil OR doxycycline OR mefloquine is usually recommended.
If you have been travelling in a malarious area and develop a fever seek medical attention promptly. Remember malaria can develop even up to one year after exposure.
If travelling to high risk malarious areas, remote from medical facilities, carrying emergency malaria standby treatment may be considered.

I suggest you discuss this with your GP(most have a travel clinic) or local travel clinic(you may have to pay).

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back