• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lynx reintroduction in Britain (1 Viewer)

Amarillo

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Call for the lynx to walk the wilds again
By Richard Gray, Science Correspondent, Sunday Telegraph
Last Updated: 11:53pm BST 14/04/2007

They last stalked through Britain's forests more than 1,000 years ago. Now moves are afoot to bring back the Eurasian lynx as the country's top predator.

Ecologists are calling for the beasts to be released into the wild after research which found that Britain could support up to 500 of the animals.

That would provide one of the largest populations in Europe.

advertisementCampaigners claim that the cats, which mainly hunt small deer, would provide a valuable boost to tourism while also helping to contain deer numbers and so protect woodland areas, which can be devastated by grazing herds.

The lynx is the latest in a series of animal reintroductions to be proposed, following other long-extinct species such as wolves and beavers.

Under European legislation, member states are obliged to consider reintroducing species where they have been made extinct by human activity and whose survival is considered critical.

Lynx numbers have dwindled to fewer than 50,000 worldwide and the cat is listed on the World Conservation Union's red list of threatened species.

"There is plenty of prey here in the UK to support a thriving population," said David Hetherington, an ecologist at Aberdeen University who has been studying the feasibility of reintroducing lynx. "There is the potential to create the fourth largest population of lynx in Europe.

"They are shy and secretive creatures, but this makes them extremely charismatic. The benefits in terms of tourism would be great. Those countries that have already reintroduced lynx have seen them become wildlife icons."

Until recently, the lynx was believed to have died out naturally in Britain as a result of the changing climate, but it is now thought to have been wiped out by deforestation by people in about 700AD.

Bones discovered in the Yorkshire Dales revealed that the animals had been present in Britain during the sixth century.

Populations of Eurasian lynx were confined to pockets of Siberia and eastern Europe until a number of European countries embarked on reintroduction programmes. Germany, Switzerland, Poland, Slovakia and France now all have populations of lynx. Spain has its own threatened population of the distinctly separate Iberian lynx.

Mr Hetherington believes that reintroductions could take place in Britain, with forests in the Highlands, Southern Uplands of Scotland and Kielder in Northumberland supporting populations.

He said that about 30 wild lynx captured and imported from mainland Europe would be enough to found a successful population.

He said: "Ethically, since humans were responsible for killing them off in Britain in the first place, there is also a compelling argument to reintroduce this beautiful and graceful creature."

Conservationists also believe that reintroducing lynx would -provide a natural way of -controlling deer.

About 160,000 deer are culled every year in an attempt to reduce the damage they cause to crops and woodland, while thousands of pounds are also spent on fencing to keep the animals out.

Adam Powell, a field project manager at the conservation group Trees for Life, said: "Reintroducing the lynx would have a balancing effect on the environment.

"Top predators provide a natural control in deer numbers. It is not just how many they eat but also the effect they have on the movement of the deer and this provides an opportunity for the natural regeneration of woodland without the deer."

But proposals to reintroduce the lynx have also met with opposition from landowners and farmers who fear that the predators could kill livestock.

In Switzerland last year, 15 sheep were killed by lynx, but the numbers of livestock kills have been reduced through careful management of the big cats.

Plans to reintroduce other animals have also met with strong opposition, with fears that large carnivores such as wolves would present a risk to farm animals and to people.

In 2005, ministers rejected proposals to reintroduce beavers, which died out in Britain 400 years ago, amid fears that they could damage woodland habitats by flooding rivers.

A spokesman for the Countryside Alliance warned that reintroducing lynx could harm other threatened native species.

He said: "We feel it is more important to concentrate on species that are currently under threat in the Highlands and Southern Uplands, most specifically the wildcat and ground-nesting birds such as the capercaillie."

A spokesman for the Scottish Executive said there were currently no plans to issue a licence to allow the release of lynx into the wild.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

What do people think?

No doubt the usual suspects will scupper the plans anyway, but unlike wild boar and wolves which do impact on crops/livestock, surely it would be difficult to come up with sensible arguments against bringing back the lynx?

Amarillo said:

Call for the lynx to walk the wilds again
By Richard Gray, Science Correspondent, Sunday Telegraph
Last Updated: 11:53pm BST 14/04/2007

They last stalked through Britain's forests more than 1,000 years ago. Now moves are afoot to bring back the Eurasian lynx as the country's top predator.

Ecologists are calling for the beasts to be released into the wild after research which found that Britain could support up to 500 of the animals.

That would provide one of the largest populations in Europe.

advertisementCampaigners claim that the cats, which mainly hunt small deer, would provide a valuable boost to tourism while also helping to contain deer numbers and so protect woodland areas, which can be devastated by grazing herds.

The lynx is the latest in a series of animal reintroductions to be proposed, following other long-extinct species such as wolves and beavers.

Under European legislation, member states are obliged to consider reintroducing species where they have been made extinct by human activity and whose survival is considered critical.

Lynx numbers have dwindled to fewer than 50,000 worldwide and the cat is listed on the World Conservation Union's red list of threatened species.

"There is plenty of prey here in the UK to support a thriving population," said David Hetherington, an ecologist at Aberdeen University who has been studying the feasibility of reintroducing lynx. "There is the potential to create the fourth largest population of lynx in Europe.

"They are shy and secretive creatures, but this makes them extremely charismatic. The benefits in terms of tourism would be great. Those countries that have already reintroduced lynx have seen them become wildlife icons."

Until recently, the lynx was believed to have died out naturally in Britain as a result of the changing climate, but it is now thought to have been wiped out by deforestation by people in about 700AD.

Bones discovered in the Yorkshire Dales revealed that the animals had been present in Britain during the sixth century.

Populations of Eurasian lynx were confined to pockets of Siberia and eastern Europe until a number of European countries embarked on reintroduction programmes. Germany, Switzerland, Poland, Slovakia and France now all have populations of lynx. Spain has its own threatened population of the distinctly separate Iberian lynx.

Mr Hetherington believes that reintroductions could take place in Britain, with forests in the Highlands, Southern Uplands of Scotland and Kielder in Northumberland supporting populations.

He said that about 30 wild lynx captured and imported from mainland Europe would be enough to found a successful population.

He said: "Ethically, since humans were responsible for killing them off in Britain in the first place, there is also a compelling argument to reintroduce this beautiful and graceful creature."

Conservationists also believe that reintroducing lynx would -provide a natural way of -controlling deer.

About 160,000 deer are culled every year in an attempt to reduce the damage they cause to crops and woodland, while thousands of pounds are also spent on fencing to keep the animals out.

Adam Powell, a field project manager at the conservation group Trees for Life, said: "Reintroducing the lynx would have a balancing effect on the environment.

"Top predators provide a natural control in deer numbers. It is not just how many they eat but also the effect they have on the movement of the deer and this provides an opportunity for the natural regeneration of woodland without the deer."

But proposals to reintroduce the lynx have also met with opposition from landowners and farmers who fear that the predators could kill livestock.

In Switzerland last year, 15 sheep were killed by lynx, but the numbers of livestock kills have been reduced through careful management of the big cats.

Plans to reintroduce other animals have also met with strong opposition, with fears that large carnivores such as wolves would present a risk to farm animals and to people.

In 2005, ministers rejected proposals to reintroduce beavers, which died out in Britain 400 years ago, amid fears that they could damage woodland habitats by flooding rivers.

A spokesman for the Countryside Alliance warned that reintroducing lynx could harm other threatened native species.

He said: "We feel it is more important to concentrate on species that are currently under threat in the Highlands and Southern Uplands, most specifically the wildcat and ground-nesting birds such as the capercaillie."

A spokesman for the Scottish Executive said there were currently no plans to issue a licence to allow the release of lynx into the wild.

What do people think?

No doubt the usual suspects will scupper the plans anyway, but unlike wild boar and wolves which do impact on crops/livestock, surely it would be difficult to come up with sensible arguments against bringing back the lynx?
Interesting article here by David Heatherington on the subject:

http://www.treesforlife.org.uk/forest/missing/Hetherington_lynx_ECOS.pdf

Jonathan

I was lucky enough to meet David Hetherington last year, and thoroughly convinced me of the benefits of a lynx reintroduction. I'm all for it. Britain needs a top predator again.

Alladale reserve (http://alladale.24creative.co.uk/ )in the Highlands is carrying out a very ambitious progamme of reintroducing wild boar (already there), elk (imminent), grey wolf, brown bear and lynx to an enclosed area - will be very interesting to see how that pans out.

Last edited:
Lynx and Wildcat do not generally co-exist in Europe or so I have read. Lynxes tend to obliterate Wildcats. Our Wildcats are right on the edge between one thing and another so whereas I am all in favour of bringing the wolf back I do not favour a Lynx reintroduction at present.

John

Farnboro John said:
Lynx and Wildcat do not generally co-exist in Europe or so I have read. Lynxes tend to obliterate Wildcats. Our Wildcats are right on the edge between one thing and another so whereas I am all in favour of bringing the wolf back I do not favour a Lynx reintroduction at present.
John

I'm not sure I go along with that.

While there is a chance some wildcats could be killed by lynx, they might also reduce the population of feral cats as the above article suggests, which are a far greater threat to wildcats. Also, the protection of large wild areas for lynx, and the general boost to conservation that their reintroduction would create, would surely also benefit other species like the wildcat.

Would wolves not kill wildcats then?

Farnboro John said:

John

I'd think lynx would take whatever prey they could that they encountered most often - wildcat populations are so low anyway that they would be rarely encountered, and it follows that the number taken would be very minimal.

Deer are everywhere and it seems the most attractive prey.

Farnboro John said:
Lynx and Wildcat do not generally co-exist in Europe or so I have read. Lynxes tend to obliterate Wildcats.

Not true. Lynx and wildcat coexist in large areas of Europe. Lynx sometimes kill wildcats and other small predators, but they absolutely don't wipe them out from the area.

I am in favour of reintroducing lynx. However, I think vicious and politically connected people will prevent them from coming to Britain. The situation is better in Europe, where people generally have a memory of big animals living in their country.

BTW, several years ago one radio-collared lynx in Switzerland decided to cross valley in which Zurich city is located. It spend the day hidden in small garden in the city, near the busy street. Owners of the garden, hundreds of people and dogs walking past did not know that wild lynx is flattened under a bush. Only scientists with the radio equipment discovered it. Next evening, lynx succesfully left the town.

turkish van said:
I'd think lynx would take whatever prey they could that they encountered most often - wildcat populations are so low anyway that they would be rarely encountered, and it follows that the number taken would be very minimal.

Deer are everywhere and it seems the most attractive prey.

You are missing the point, the more likely scenario is the major adjustment that took place in the Coyote population of Yellowstone when wolves were reintroduced: and with the massive pressures on our Wildcats it could easily spell disaster for what is after all considered by at least some authorities to be worthy of sub-species rank (Felis sylvestris grampia). When there are already very few the loss of even the odd one or two is awful.

I believe also there is some doubt as to whether Man was responsible for extinguishing Lynx from Britain: the evidence for their presence is I have heard nearer to the Eagle Owl situation of sub-fossil remains than the Wolf situation of the last hunts being documented only three hundred years or so ago. In such circumstances I don't think the case for "reintroduction" is well made even without the Wildcat issue.

John

perhaps one day john cleese will indeed see roving herds of wilderbeast on the plains of torquay.....
i'd like to see how a pen could contain things such as a wolf, bear or lynx and if they have to be contained why bother?!?!?

Farnboro John said:
You are missing the point, the more likely scenario is the major adjustment that took place in the Coyote population of Yellowstone when wolves were reintroduced: and with the massive pressures on our Wildcats it could easily spell disaster for what is after all considered by at least some authorities to be worthy of sub-species rank (Felis sylvestris grampia). When there are already very few the loss of even the odd one or two is awful.

But as I said above, surely the loss of the odd one or two wildcoats is more than balanced out by the increased awareness, increased protection etc gained by reintroducing a charismatic species like the lynx?

I believe also there is some doubt as to whether Man was responsible for extinguishing Lynx from Britain: the evidence for their presence is I have heard nearer to the Eagle Owl situation of sub-fossil remains than the Wolf situation of the last hunts being documented only three hundred years or so ago. In such circumstances I don't think the case for "reintroduction" is well made even without the Wildcat issue.
John

The evidence is there. It is not for eagle owls.

rosbifs said:
i'd like to see how a pen could contain things such as a wolf, bear or lynx and if they have to be contained why bother?!?!?

It's not a pen, it is a massive wild area enclosed by a very high, very sturdy fence. The place is being reforested and developed to try and recreate the habitat of a few hundred years ago, reintroducing the animals that were present there a few hundred (or more) years ago, to see if some balance can be achieved again. There will be extensive research into species interactions and behaviour, and the effect they have on the environment, which apart from anything will go a long way to providing info for any potential large scale reintroductions in the future.

Lynx mainly feeds on Roe Deer in Switzerland. Also Hares are a favourite prey item... would they go after Mountain Hare? I'd guess Red Deer (except calves) are a bit big for them.
Wolf would be a better choice... but that will never happen I guess.

Carless said:
I've done a bit of a search and apparently there aren't even anecdotes of lynx attacking people. But if there were bear and wolves around, I'd be a bit worried about coming across an animal, or pack, in the wild that could take me out.

http://www.kora.unibe.ch/en/proj/elois/online/speciesinf/lynx_and_humans/lynx_and_humans.htm

Humans in vehicles... humans with guns... drug crazed humans with knives and HIV loaded syringes.... count the bodies and then figure from bear and wolf area data how much risk you might be taking compared to what risks you may already be running.

You might also look at figures for legal and (especially) illegal killing of bears, wolves and lynxes and ponder for a moment the risks they are already running. Not to mention those humans in vehicles again...

John

Stone me, if one can remain unseen on there then no wonder sightings are so rare elsewhere!

However, I don't suppose even the blogger who apparently found "a ton of field sign" that everyone else seems to have missed can identify the lynx species from what he found unless he took a scat sample for DNA analysis?

John

PS: I suppose I'll see everyone at Portland overnight over the weekend, bring your own flashlights and NVGs!

Last edited:
Stone me, if one can remain unseen on there then no wonder sightings are so rare elsewhere!

However, I don't suppose even the blogger who apparently found "a ton of field sign" that everyone else seems to have missed can identify the lynx species from what he found unless he took a scat sample for DNA analysis?

John

PS: I suppose I'll see everyone at Portland overnight over the weekend, bring your own flashlights and NVGs!

an earlier post suggests a peer reviewable paper on ABC field sign may be on the way. I believe some dna work may be included. (fingers crossed!).

with the massive pressures on our Wildcats it could easily spell disaster for what is after all considered by at least some authorities to be worthy of sub-species rank (Felis sylvestris grampia). When there are already very few the loss of even the odd one or two is awful.

Hi John,

I've read that the existence of pure Wildcats in Britain is debatable, since virtually all specimens show characters of interbreeding with domestic cats. Any thoughts on this?.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back