• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lynford Arboretum (1 Viewer)

pageplus

Hi, My wife and I, are visiting Lynford Saturday, and hope to see the Hawfinch's. Apparently they were seen today at the paddocks, but I can't see any paddocks marked on the maps that I have. As my wife is unable to walk far, I was wondering if anybody could point us in the right direction, and tell me which car park to use?

Many thanks in advance.

No problem - use this map in conjunction with the directions that follow! http://www.multimap.com/map/browse.cgi?client=public&X=580000.225224578&Y=295000.322771136&width=700&height=400&gride=582027.225224578&gridn=291126.322771136&srec=0&coordsys=gb&db=freegaz&addr1=&addr2=&addr3=&pc=&advanced=&local=&localinfosel=&kw=&inmap=&table=&ovtype=&keepicon=true&zm=0&scale=50000&multimap.x=542&multimap.y=295

As you drive down the road to the arboretum having turned off the A1065 in Mundford, the main carpark is on the left, but there is also a carpark for orange badge holders (or similar) opposite it on the right. Both are shown arrowed on the map.

From here, it's a fairly short and easy walk straight down the edge of the arboretum, heading south to the bridge at the east end of the lake (lake not shown on the map, but the bridge is under the A of Arboretum). Keep going over the bridge and the paddocks are on your right as you walk towards the church (though no need to go much more than 100 yards past the bridge usually).

Check the tops of the hornbeam trees for Hawfinches, and listen out for the electric 'zit' call as they fly in - with a bit of patience and reasonable weather, you should get good views. The numbers have been excellent this year - I heard someone say they'd seen over 30 there today!

dbradnum said:
No problem - use this map in conjunction with the directions that follow! http://www.multimap.com/map/browse.cgi?client=public&X=580000.225224578&Y=295000.322771136&width=700&height=400&gride=582027.225224578&gridn=291126.322771136&srec=0&coordsys=gb&db=freegaz&addr1=&addr2=&addr3=&pc=&advanced=&local=&localinfosel=&kw=&inmap=&table=&ovtype=&keepicon=true&zm=0&scale=50000&multimap.x=542&multimap.y=295

As you drive down the road to the arboretum having turned off the A1065 in Mundford, the main carpark is on the left, but there is also a carpark for orange badge holders (or similar) opposite it on the right. Both are shown arrowed on the map.

From here, it's a fairly short and easy walk straight down the edge of the arboretum, heading south to the bridge at the east end of the lake (lake not shown on the map, but the bridge is under the A of Arboretum). Keep going over the bridge and the paddocks are on your right as you walk towards the church (though no need to go much more than 100 yards past the bridge usually).

Check the tops of the hornbeam trees for Hawfinches, and listen out for the electric 'zit' call as they fly in - with a bit of patience and reasonable weather, you should get good views. The numbers have been excellent this year - I heard someone say they'd seen over 30 there today!

Wow! that was quick. Many thanks.

If you want the paddocks you would be better off using the lower car park. It is marked on David's map right next to the church symbol. The paddocks, where the Hornbeams are, is the white area immediately north of the church

Regards

Dave

There has been a Firecrest by the noticeboard in the disable car park, sometimes seen in a holly bush. this is the car park furthest from the paddocks, could easily drive round there for a look. Keep an eye out for siskins and tit flocks too. Lynford has really produced the goods this winter!
Jim

DJW said:
If you want the paddocks you would be better off using the lower car park. It is marked on David's map right next to the church symbol. The paddocks, where the Hornbeams are, is the white area immediately north of the church

Regards

Dave
Yes, that's true actually! I've always walked in through the arboretum because I like the area, and generally forget that the other access point exists...

I reckon the walk in as I suggested is probably about 6-800 metres. Not sure about from the church side, but agree it is shorter.

dbradnum said:
Yes, that's true actually! I've always walked in through the arboretum because I like the area, and generally forget that the other access point exists...

I reckon the walk in as I suggested is probably about 6-800 metres. Not sure about from the church side, but agree it is shorter.

Hi David, My Wife, and I visited Lynford today. It wasn't untill I got there that I realised that we had been there before. My wife did a course with Nottingham University on trees, we visited the arboretum then. Any way we managed to see the Hawfinch's, so many thanks to everyone that replied.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back