• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leucistic Starlings (1 Viewer)

Biscuitman

United Kingdom
In 2019 I had a leucistic House Sparrow in the back garden. Today I had two Leucistic Starlings! Anybody else seen any around? I'm situated in Stonehaven.

Attachments

• 20230601_123533.jpg
    20230601_123533.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 15
  • 20230601_123713.jpg
    20230601_123713.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 15
I have seen a Leucistic starling! It was in my local allotments, happily eating someone's painstakingly grown grapes (Londonderry is not known for sunny weather) sadly did not get a good photo. I have not seen any Leucistic starlings before or since.

Oddly I was sent a photo of one in Kent on Sunday. Leucistic Blackbirds seem more common.
Lucky! All we hear everywhere are blackbirds- there must be at least two hundred in our little local park, yet I have never seen Leucistic ones

Be interesting to see if they're more easily targeted by local predators like Peregrines if you have them.
I have seen a pile of downy light feathers in the Inch Lake Wildfowl Reserve, (no other traces of hunter or hunted) where there are several raptor species, but I'm not sure if the hunter was a fox, or what species the poor bird was. I would imagine them more susceptible to ground-dwelling predators, but not exactly targeted by birds of prey- any flying bird would be obvious for species that tackle their prey mid-flight. Perched birds would be a different story, if anyone else knowns anything?

I have seen a pile of downy light feathers in the Inch Lake Wildfowl Reserve, (no other traces of hunter or hunted) where there are several raptor species, but I'm not sure if the hunter was a fox, or what species the poor bird was. I would imagine them more susceptible to ground-dwelling predators, but not exactly targeted by birds of prey- any flying bird would be obvious for species that tackle their prey mid-flight. Perched birds would be a different story, if anyone else knowns anything?
Never saw the leucistic sparrow again, but I would imagine the off white birds like the Starlings are easier to spot by predators and are therefore more at risk.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back