• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lesser White-fronted Goose? Ukraine, January 2022 (1 Viewer)

Shumi

Ukraine
Hi All, pls kindly have a look and let me know whether this could be good for a Lesser White-fronted Goose? Unfortunately, these are the only pictures I have. Taken last Monday while I was observing a flock of Red-breasted and White-fronted geese in South-eastern Ukraine.

Lesser white-fronted geese are regular but very rare migrant (and perhaps wintering) species in South-Eastern Ukraine.

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_4462.JPG
    IMG_4462.JPG
    61 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_4463.JPG
    IMG_4463.JPG
    59.2 KB · Views: 108
Hello,
hard picture, at least for me. And after I realized, that artefacts, single picture effects (including a bad angle to judge bill size and shape?), I hoped for others to comment. Thank you Aeshna!

I agree with Aeshna, that this seems better for a Greater WFG:
  • Despite showing a quite thick neck for a Greater WFG (but easy explained by posture and variation), I see:
  • is there a pale eye-ring present or not? Yes, it looks like the pictures of Lesser WFG proof-pictures at first, but it seems to be an artefact/snow flake or similar ??? after closer inspection
  • bill seems to long and not stubby enough on one picture and ok (at least) for a Lesser WFG on the other picture (= small, triangular shaped bill). So, which picture is the one to trust? I think, its the one with the Greater WFG bill, because if the bird looks away from the camera, than bill looks smaller.
  • I agree with Aeshna, white blaze is not extensive (=doesnt reaching high up on forehead) and the forehead should be steeper in a Lesser WFG.
Conclusion? Yes, I think its a Greater WFG, too. But I sort the pro-Greater WFG features as real=true and dismiss the pro Lesser WFG features as artefacts and single picture effects. But the comment from Aeshna gave me enough confidence to post my thoughts.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back