• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lesser white-fronted goose? (north of Iran) (1 Viewer)

yashar1981yr

Is it possible that the bird in the picture is a Lesser white-fronted goose?
This photo was taken last week in northern Iran
And yesterday, a confirmed record shows that this bird was seen in the same place

Unfortunately, I only took this one photo

Attachments

• IMG_4836.JPG
    IMG_4836.JPG
    496 KB · Views: 156
Safe ID difficult from this photo IMO, blaze seems extensive but I personally can't confidently make out the outline of the bill (which in any case can appear shorter due to angle) and the bird doesn't seem that much different from the GWFG below it.

Safe ID difficult from this photo IMO, blaze seems extensive but I personally can't confidently make out the outline of the bill (which in any case can appear shorter due to angle) and the bird doesn't seem that much different from the GWFG below it.
While caution is a virtue, I can't really agree with this. I think the outline of the bill is readily discernable and the angle of the head is sufficiently perpendicular to the viewer to see it is clearly shorter and deeper than the GWFG. More to the point, the blocky shape of the head is very obvious. Add this to the classic white forehead, I think this bird can be safely identified as LWFG.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back