• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leighton Moss RSPB (2 Viewers)

Beardies

Finally saw the bearded tits at LM last week and that's another lifer. Here are a couple of shots.

Also another lifer, although not a bird, was the otter that gave a show in front of the public hide. Distant but still enjoyable. :)

Attachments

• Tit, bearded - female 1.jpg
    Tit, bearded - female 1.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 55
  • Tit, bearded - male 6.jpg
    Tit, bearded - male 6.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 78
  • Tit, bearded - female 5.jpg
    Tit, bearded - female 5.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 71
  • Tit, bearded - male 3.jpg
    Tit, bearded - male 3.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:
Didn't manage to see the Bearded Tits today,but someone had baited a tree stump so managed a few shots of some other species.

Attachments

• dunnock.jpg
    dunnock.jpg
    222.6 KB · Views: 69
  • mt.jpg
    mt.jpg
    152.8 KB · Views: 57
  • nut1.jpg
    nut1.jpg
    287.9 KB · Views: 49
  • rob.jpg
    rob.jpg
    197 KB · Views: 41
What took you so long? LM is an excellent place indeed! Has it changed much since you last visited?

GW Egret showed well from Griesdale Hide late morning, then seen briefly in flight from the raised footpath along the road between the causeway and Lilian's Hide 3pm. Also 2 Brambling on the feeders. My first visit since the late 90s, really enjoyed it!

I think they are looking for the warmest place to roost! lots of dried reeds would absorb heat off the birds bodies keeping the area warmer and out of the wind that you might get higher up in trees, similar to those birds that roost under piers they have a ceiling overhead keeping in the heat they generate during the night!

A slippin' n slidin' Bittern entertained us at Lower Hide mid-afternoon when it came out on to the ice. A bit more confidence may be needed before it trys that trick again! The Starling roost was great, best seen from the path between Lilians hide and the causeway.

A slippin' n slidin' Bittern entertained us at Lower Hide mid-afternoon when it came out on to the ice. A bit more confidence may be needed before it trys that trick again! The Starling roost was great, best seen from the path between Lilians hide and the causeway.

We went to Blacktoft Sands a few years ao after a particular cold snap and the ONLY birds we saw there were bittern and numerous sightings of water rail! They had come out of the reeds onto the ice and provided great views. There are some days that stick in ones mind forever.

Sandra

We spent a couple of hours at the reserve this morning.

The car park behind the visitor centre is still closed as it's transformed into a garden area.

A Brambling was coming to the feeding station occasionally but proved to be very wary.

From Lillian's Hide most notable birds were a male Marsh Harrier and two Snipe. Only one Goldeneye seen - a female.

Due to the poor weather we didn't make it to any other hides. The woodland area though was pretty good for birds with Treecreeper, Nuthatch, Marsh Tit, Long-tailed Tit and a squirrel all giving very close views.

Two Ravens and three Buzzards passed over head. Great Spotted Woodpecker heard but not seen.

Peregrine x2 & Raven x2 (different birds) seen in the local area as well.

Attachments

• IMG_8301aa.jpg
    IMG_8301aa.jpg
    171.5 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_8552a.jpg
    IMG_8552a.jpg
    148.9 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_8336a.jpg
    IMG_8336a.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_8919aa.jpg
    IMG_8919aa.jpg
    147.3 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_9052a.jpg
    IMG_9052a.jpg
    158.8 KB · Views: 61
It is rather poignant to reflect that the RSPB continually approach members for donations to buy reserves or extend the existing ones when here we have a car park being replaced by a landscaped garden at a cost of probably several thousands of pounds. Thus doing away with the car park which could hold up to 30 cars and right next to the path to the hides. Now everyone has to use the park on the other side of the road which is not very convenient and means crossing the road.

Ah well I guess that is progress, but next time if you give a donation make sure it is for the purpose it is requested for and not wasted on prettifying.

Must admit when I seen this last Wednesday I was somewhat annoyed.

The sensory garden is designed to attract birds and insects into a disabled access friendly space where schools and other groups as well as less able individuals can get access to, it is not to prettify.

The garden development is part of a bigger works at LM including the replacement of the four hides that has already happened, a tower platform to be built adjacent to Lillian's and a boardwalk path from the pond dipping area to the the causeway eliminating the walk down the road. Another bit of the works was removing the hump in the middle of the car park, this has resulted in a net increase in car park spaces, not a loss. Also a new loading area/staff car park has been created which has led to an increase in disabled parking on the reserve side of the road.

And all this was funded without a penny of RSPB funds, excluding the staff time to fill in the forms. It is mostly Heritage Lottery Fund with a variety of match funding all from outside sources.

This is all explained on the display next to the garden site.

Thank you for the information. However all I recall is a sign saying car park closed, so saw no point in going closer. might it not have been better to have had a notice near the sightings board at the the rear of the centre outlining future plans? How about a hide and path into the flooded field area to the east of the railway line?

As for the car park opposite Rob Wallace makes a valid point about car park users.

If that car park gets full, where does the excess go? and I have seen it full, admittedly before the hump was removed but the car park behind the centre was also full that day!!

I visited LM this Wednesday the 21st May, and as I was walking to the Eric Morecambe hide I saw and heard a Cetti's Warbler and a Sedge Warbler also flying overhead was a Raven. The weather was nice, warm and sunny.

The sensory garden is designed to attract birds and insects into a disabled access friendly space where schools and other groups as well as less able individuals can get access to, it is not to prettify.

The garden development is part of a bigger works at LM including the replacement of the four hides that has already happened, a tower platform to be built adjacent to Lillian's and a boardwalk path from the pond dipping area to the the causeway eliminating the walk down the road. Another bit of the works was removing the hump in the middle of the car park, this has resulted in a net increase in car park spaces, not a loss. Also a new loading area/staff car park has been created which has led to an increase in disabled parking on the reserve side of the road.

And all this was funded without a penny of RSPB funds, excluding the staff time to fill in the forms. It is mostly Heritage Lottery Fund with a variety of match funding all from outside sources.

This is all explained on the display next to the garden site.

so how much parking space does leighton moss now have for the exclusive use of RSPB members who are visiting the reserve, and how does this compare with before these changes were made? obviously to claim that any of the car park is for the use of RSPB members, would be false as it is perfectly possible for this car park to be completely full of walkers. where would you suggest that people who have driven for 2 hours or so , in order to visit the reserve. should put their cars, should they find the public car park across the road full, when they arrive?

how do these changes affect someone like me who though not in posession of a disbility parking card, has limited mobility due to illness, and cannot possibly park a long way away and walk to the reserve.

any suggestion that i should use public transport, will be regarded as a request to stop subscribing to the RSPB

Last edited:
The number of parking spaces is, (as far I am aware I don't work there I just talk to the staff when I am), basically the same after the work. There are more disabled spaces. There are no, non-disabled spaces, on the reserve side of the road. The space behind the centre was never officially for parking any way. There are no spaces "reserved for RSPB members", there never has been. One could use the parking for going for a walk or commuting to Manchester if one wanted to, there is basically nothing the RSPB could do to stop it bar appealing to peoples' consciousness.

It is a very popular place and I have had problems parking, the other week I was waiting for a car to pull out of space when the passenger of the car behind got out, walked past my car and stood in the vacated space! The RSPB must be doing something right to attract so many visitors. I would rather have an attractive place with a decent café and the occasional parking problem than a $h!t hole with ample room.

The number of parking spaces is, (as far I am aware I don't work there I just talk to the staff when I am), basically the same after the work. There are more disabled spaces. There are no, non-disabled spaces, on the reserve side of the road. The space behind the centre was never officially for parking any way. There are no spaces "reserved for RSPB members", there never has been. One could use the parking for going for a walk or commuting to Manchester if one wanted to, there is basically nothing the RSPB could do to stop it bar appealing to peoples' consciousness.

It is a very popular place and I have had problems parking, the other week I was waiting for a car to pull out of space when the passenger of the car behind got out, walked past my car and stood in the vacated space! The RSPB must be doing something right to attract so many visitors. I would rather have an attractive place with a decent café and the occasional parking problem than a $h!t hole with ample room.

that is absolutely worthy of any politician
it demonstrates absolutely and unequivocally that we've all been shat on while attempting to disguise the fact in bullshit

that is absolutely worthy of any politician
it demonstrates absolutely and unequivocally that we've all been shat on while attempting to disguise the fact in bullshit

I'd be interested to know what part of Mono's post you consider bullshit, and why?

Cheers
Jonathan

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back