• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leighton Moss RSPB (1 Viewer)

The best place to see the starlings depends a lot on where they chose to go down! They can be fickle things and past performance is no indication, they can spend a week going down by the lower hide and then go down at Griesdale. The benches by the barn is a good catch all site to watch from except if they go down by the lower. It has the disadvantage though that if they perform low down you can lose the starlings in the dark woods behind. The causeway is a good spot for the raw spectacle with the birds wooshing over your head but if the perfornmance is at either end of the reserve you can lose sight of the flock because you are down in the reeds. I prefer to take a punt and go to one end or the other. The lower hide gives good views if the display is at that end of the reserve and the flock is backlight by the twilight and shows up well. The other end is best served by the ramp leading up the doorway of the Griesdale hide, this bit of height gives great views over the reed bed and the flock mostly has the sky behind rather than trees. The disadvantage of the either end approach is , of course, that if they (or you!) choose the wrong end you don't get to see much. Still where would the fun be if it was predictable!

Could also try the small pull in on the access road from Yealand Redmayne which overlooks the mere where the lower hide is. This spot is elevated and IMO gives very good views of the birds also of the egrets if they are using the same tree as last year as this spot overlooks that tree.

A short video clip of the Starlings last night taken from the path by the barn. I'm afraid it's only short as my laptop and internet connection here aren't up to the job really.

http://youtu.be/qDfJxsjFH88

Tonight they came in a little earlier, c.3.45, maybe with it being heavily overcast. They didn't display as long tonight with many smaller groups more or less going straight into the reeds by the barn again.

Could also try the small pull in on the access road from Yealand Redmayne which overlooks the mere where the lower hide is. This spot is elevated and IMO gives very good views of the birds also of the egrets if they are using the same tree as last year as this spot overlooks that tree.

Thanks Robert. A pity we can't be in more than one place at one time! That elevated spot sounds good though.

Sandra

A short video clip of the Starlings last night taken from the path by the barn. I'm afraid it's only short as my laptop and internet connection here aren't up to the job really.

http://youtu.be/qDfJxsjFH88

Tonight they came in a little earlier, c.3.45, maybe with it being heavily overcast. They didn't display as long tonight with many smaller groups more or less going straight into the reeds by the barn again.

The video is good, Ian. Shows the birds up well as they drop into the reeds.
Hope it's a fine night on Thursday.

Sandra

Quite an amazing sight all those Starlings but someone has told me that the roost is affecting the quality of the reeds. Is that true?

One I've noticed with the Starlings is that the reed beds get flattened by the roosting flocks.

It's quite a sight to see 15-20 Starlings land on one reed stem and for it to fall over. Repeated thousands of times in close proximity, large areas of the reed bed become flattened. Added to that the Starlings move areas every now and again.

I'm not sure of the long term impact if any as the reeds grow back each year.

If I recall correctly the bearded tits don't nest in the areas that have been flattened by the roosting starlings.

Now that could be significant as the Starlings apparently move aorund the reserve not just from the point of a nesting spot that the Tits may use but for feeding. In winter thay eat the reed seeds.

Watched the starling roost today from Lillian's hide and they didn't disappoint. What a spectacle! onderful sight - took a bit of getting going and they eventually settled out in front of the hide - looked to be in the trees but may have been the nearby reeds.

Splendid new hides on the seaward side of the reserve. But - oh dear - those windows. When they're being opened they sort of fall out away from you and to close them you have to grab hold of the sides of the window with arms right out front! Thought we hadn't to put arms out. What's wrong with those that are fastened with a hook above the window itself. Who designs these hides - and who decides which method to use I wonder? We've come across so many different formats on our travels and the simplest seem to work the best. Does anyone field test them before a decision is made to build? Sorr....ee.... rant over! :eek!:

(Someone's going to come back and tell me I opened them wrongly - just wait and see!)

Sandra

(If you were in the cafe when I spilt Bob's coffee all over me & the floor - sorry for the disruption!)

Is this definitely the bird in question / a Scaup? If so, does anyone else have any other pics of it? The bill looks a bit 'interesting' but most of the other features seem closer to Tufted Duck, to my eye.

My bad, just an after thought, a quick Google and posted the pic. Cant find any other pics of it knocking about. It hasn't been reported for a couple of days now though.

Best place for starlings recently has been Lilian's. You can lose them to the background every now again though. Great show tonight. Anyone more experienced than me want to guess how many are showing recently?

Adam

We were there again last night as well. We were in Lillians Hide until 3.30 and then wandered around to the path by the barn.

A Kingfisher was showing quite well from Lillians Hide as well. Water Rail, Snipe, Teal, Shoveler and Goldeneye gave quite close views.

The Starlings initially arrived in quite small groups but were in big numbers opposite Lillians Hide when they disappeared into the reeds. An even larger group appeared over Island Mere where they appeared to settle. I wish I'd been on the roadside there last night instead.

I saw mention that around 100,000 have been present.

We've heard a Cetti's Warbler several times between the grit trays and Public Hide but never had much more than a glimpse or two. The Bearded Tits have been showing well still between 9.00am and 10.00am but ten is the most we've seen, more often just two or three. Fourteen was the highest count of individuals over an hour from the ring combinations whilst we were there.

I think the Scaup must have moved on. We've checked each day this week from Public Hide and Lilians but not seen it. Lots of Tufties but I couldn't pick out a Scaup.

Attachments

• 043a.jpg
    043a.jpg
    179.7 KB · Views: 59
  • 305a.jpg
    305a.jpg
    172.4 KB · Views: 51
  • 319a.jpg
    319a.jpg
    173.7 KB · Views: 57
  • 468a.jpg
    468a.jpg
    154.9 KB · Views: 52
  • 505a.jpg
    505a.jpg
    176.5 KB · Views: 43
A few Bearded Tits from earlier in the week. We saw three different Marsh Harriers during the week.

Attachments

• 074bb.JPG
    074bb.JPG
    154.7 KB · Views: 56
  • 190a.jpg
    190a.jpg
    174.1 KB · Views: 54
  • 217a.jpg
    217a.jpg
    155.5 KB · Views: 49
  • 469a.jpg
    469a.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 54
  • 784aa.jpg
    784aa.jpg
    189.1 KB · Views: 63
We were there again last night as well. We were in Lillians Hide until 3.30 and then wandered around to the path by the barn.

A Kingfisher was showing quite well from Lillians Hide as well. Water Rail, Snipe, Teal, Shoveler and Goldeneye gave quite close views.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I wish I'd looked out for you Ian - we were in the same hide from 3.00pm onwards - sitting in the 'bay window' at the front. Great views of the kingfisher, weren't they? So I dipped you and may not get another chance to meet.

Sandra

GW Egret showed well from Griesdale Hide late morning, then seen briefly in flight from the raised footpath along the road between the causeway and Lilian's Hide 3pm. Also 2 Brambling on the feeders. My first visit since the late 90s, really enjoyed it!

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back