• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lancashire Birding (2 Viewers)

lancashire birding

hi this is nick patel, i live in preston, in lancashire. are there any lancs birders on, or anyone who has ever been to lancashire birding, as i'd like to know your views of lancashire's bird life and the places you can visit!

Hi Nick - I live a few miles from Blackpool so not far from Preston. The birding around here is great with lots of shore birds etc in the winter. We also have a couple of large freshwater lakes in the area. If you want more info you can contact me via the email address in my website www.mazungusinafrica.co.uk or I would be happy to meet up with you and show you a few good places. Be aware though - I am NOT a twitcher. I simply enjoy wildlife including birding.

Does anyone go birding in Lancashire? ;)

Had a long weekend over with the in-laws last weekend, and managed a couple of trips out. My main reason for posting is to ask if anyone is familiar with Spring Woods, near Whalley / Clitheroe. In addition to several singing blackcap, I am wondering if I also heard a singing garden warbler. Anyone familiar with the area and know if this is likely? My bird-song recognition is not great, but one warbler's song seemed much more sustained than a usual blackcap song, which I believe is one of the differences, but I didn't see the bird to get a proper ID. I guess it's not possible to say definitively from this, but just wondering...

I know Spring Wood and I daresay Garden Warblers are not impossible. I have been a few times and have only had Blackcap, Willow Warbler and Chiffchaff - emphasis on the few times! was a good site for Wood Warbler, I was told.

Does anyone go birding in Lancashire? ;)

Had a long weekend over with the in-laws last weekend, and managed a couple of trips out. My main reason for posting is to ask if anyone is familiar with Spring Woods, near Whalley / Clitheroe. In addition to several singing blackcap, I am wondering if I also heard a singing garden warbler. Anyone familiar with the area and know if this is likely? My bird-song recognition is not great, but one warbler's song seemed much more sustained than a usual blackcap song, which I believe is one of the differences, but I didn't see the bird to get a proper ID. I guess it's not possible to say definitively from this, but just wondering...

Information Needed

Hi there,

I'm doing a University project on birds native to lancashire and wondered if anyone has an up to date list or knows of where I can find one. I'm looking for birds that are in the county all the time, not including migrant birds.

Thank you!

The Lancashire Bird Report is probably what you're looking for: http://www.lacfs.org.uk/Publications.html - you can safely regard it as "up to date" for resident birds.

http://www.lacfs.org.uk/Publications.html

For clarification, the version that I was describing as "up to date" is the 2013 edition, which is available for £7 in places like Martin Mere or those Wildlife Trusts reserves that have shops (I know Mere Sands Wood has plenty in stock).

The older versions that are available for free online are, of course, less up to date; I would have thought that went without saying.

For clarification, the version that I was describing as "up to date" is the 2013 edition, which is available for £7 in places like Martin Mere or those Wildlife Trusts reserves that have shops (I know Mere Sands Wood has plenty in stock).

The older versions that are available for free online are, of course, less up to date; I would have thought that went without saying.

Ok, however that report wasn't even back from the printers when you posted. I don't suppose the person who posted originally really cares though.

Anyway back to birds. Looks like a great opportunity for people to find Yellow-browed Warblers in the county over the next couple of days. Good luck to those looking.

Stephen

A family Christmas with the in-laws meant I was out of my usual area for the last week, but managed a few hours out on Saturday, with a walk up the south bank of the Ribble from Penwortham to Hutton. Wasn't really sure what to expect on this side of the country (having only just got used to what to expect of the East Coast!)... so was pleasantly surprised by the number of species seen in a 3 hour stroll. Highlights on the river were 3 goosander, small groups of wigeon and teal, several single mute swans, a few small flocks of Canada geese (with the odd greylag in tow) and 3-4 redshank, while away from the water, I had good views of all five of our winter thrushes, including a delightful flock of around 30 redwing and fieldfare.

A family Christmas with the in-laws meant I was out of my usual area for the last week, but managed a few hours out on Saturday, with a walk up the south bank of the Ribble from Penwortham to Hutton. Wasn't really sure what to expect on this side of the country (having only just got used to what to expect of the East Coast!)... so was pleasantly surprised by the number of species seen in a 3 hour stroll. Highlights on the river were 3 goosander, small groups of wigeon and teal, several single mute swans, a few small flocks of Canada geese (with the odd greylag in tow) and 3-4 redshank, while away from the water, I had good views of all five of our winter thrushes, including a delightful flock of around 30 redwing and fieldfare.

I walked that stretch a couple of weeks ago, it occasionally gets stuff and is very underwatched. Other than what you mention I seem to recall a Raven and a flock of Whoopers.

Trip to see the Shore Lark at Rossal Point today, cracking bird.

Attachments

• sl18.jpg
    sl18.jpg
    185.3 KB · Views: 41
  • sl12.jpg
    sl12.jpg
    181.6 KB · Views: 49
  • sl2.jpg
    sl2.jpg
    176.1 KB · Views: 35
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back