• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lancashire Birding (1 Viewer)

There seems to be good numbers of Black-throated Divers seen from Ainsdale.

According to the Birds Of Lancs & N. M/side, the highest annual total was 14 birds, there's been over 30 seen from Ainsdale alone this autumn.

Has anyone seawatched from here recently and seen any Divers.

There hasn't been many other Diver sightings from other Lancs sites. Bit of a local influx or what?

I am sure if you go to Ainsdale and put the time in you will see divers.

Stephen

Lots of geese around the county at the moment and I spent a few hours in the north of the Fylde searching for them today. 1 Tundra Bean Goose at Fluke Hall the highlight with about 2000 Pink Footed Geese. Just down the road at Pilling there were 2 Greenland with 3 Eurasian White Fronted Geese opposite lane ends car park, and 5 Barnacle Geese on the marsh.

Had a walk down the canal on Sunday to Cottam brickworks, if anyone knows it, the area was superb for the bullfinches and over the last year or so, the willow tit. Sadly, its been fenced off ready for building. Its going to be a tescos and so it says,a nature trail. Its really sad when an area like this is lost to us nature lovers.

Condor Pool this evening - upto 4 Water Pipits, 2 Little Ringed Plovers, 4 Spotted Redshank, 1 Common Sandpiper, 1 Godwit, 1 Hare - I've driven past the pool loads of times without even realising it was there - I wont be driving past without a look again!

Condor Pool this evening - upto 4 Water Pipits, 2 Little Ringed Plovers, 4 Spotted Redshank, 1 Common Sandpiper, 1 Godwit, 1 Hare - I've driven past the pool loads of times without even realising it was there - I wont be driving past without a look again!
Hi Pitvar - whereabouts is Condor Pool?

There is also a handy layby from which you can access the screen for the pools and view the tidal creek and marsh on the other side of the road.

Has anyone seen the Glaucous-Herring Gull hybrid in Preston this week? I have not but seen photos and it is beautiful. I like how somone came up with the name Glauc-ish Gull.

Finally gave in to temptation today and headed for the Waxwings at Barrow and Preston.Not the same numbers as yesterday but still plenty to keep one happy.

Attachments

• wax1.jpg
    wax1.jpg
    263 KB · Views: 83
  • wax4.jpg
    wax4.jpg
    275.3 KB · Views: 76
MARSHSIDE RSPB VISIT 24/02/2013

This was my first visit to the area and was quite pleasantly surprised with the openness of the location, quite a lot of people around and first thought were don’t think there’ll be much around.

We only had a short stay as we were going onto Martin Mere WWT later in the day (visited with local RSPB group from Stourbridge in the West Midlands), I didn’t venture onto the Marshes area but just did the pools on the left of the road in the time we were there I managed to pick up a few yearly ticks.

Ventured into the hide to the left of the car park and was very impressed with the volunteers and educational stuff within the hide, here follows my list for the day –

Black Tailed Godwit, Buzzard, Canada Goose, Carrion Crow, Coot, Curlew, Dark Bellied Brent Goose, Dunlin, Dunnock, Gadwall, Golden Plover, Great Black Backed Gull, Lesser Black Backed Gull, Little Egret, Magpie, Mallard, Meadow Pipit, Merlin, Mute Swan, Oystercatcher, Pied Wagtail, Pink Footed Goose, Pintail, Redshank, Robin, Rook, Shelduck, Shoveler, Starling, Teal, Wigeon & Wood Pigeon

The Dark Bellied Brent Goose was also seen at Martin Mere WWT later in the day

MARTIN MERE WWT VISIT 24/02/2013

Again this was my first visit and one I have been looking forward to for a while now, I was in heaven a captive collection and a wild species collection as well what more do you want to make such a wonderful day out birding.

The captive collection was a pleasure to wonder round many new species for my captive collection list and some wonderful opportunities for great photography.

The hides that over looked the lagoons and lakes were of quite a large size and were in my opinion just about right for the reserve.

The most interesting part was the Kingfisher Hide (well that’s what I think it was called) a round concrete type building looked much like a world war one/two machine gun torret I managed to see 5 tree sparrows at the feeding station at one time, this was the most t/s I have seen for years in one place at the same time.

There were very close views of Ruff from the Swanlink Hide at least 2 males and a female right infront of the hide.

Here we have a list of wild bird species seen today –

Avocet, Black Headed Gull, Blackbird, Blue Tit, Chaffinch, Collared Dove, Coot, Cormorant, Dunnock, Gadwall, Goldeneye, Great Black Backed Gull, Great Tit, Greylag Goose, Lapwing, Long Tailed Tit, Magpie, Mallard, Moorhen, Pink Footed Goose, Pintail, Pochard, Red Headed Smew, Reed Bunting, Robin, Ross’s Goose, Ruff, Shelduck, Shoveler, Smew, Stock Dove, Teal, Tree Sparrow, Treecreeper, Whooper Swan, Wigeon & Tufted Duck

I know a lot of birders don’t like captive collections but unfortunately some of us can only dream of seeing such wonderful species at captive collection for one reason or another, so for these people I hope that the moderators allow me to feature captive collections in my reviews

Captive collection species seen at Martin Mere on my visit 24 / 02 / 2013 were as follows –

Andean Goose, Ashy Headed Goose, Black Swan, Brown Pintail, Cape Barren Goose, Cape Teal, Chiloe Wigeon, Coscoroba Swan, Eider Duck, Eurasian Crane, Falcated Duck, Hawaiian Goose, Hooded Merganser, Lesser White Fronted Goose, Mandarin Duck, Marbled Teal, New Zealand Scaup, Northern Spur Winged Goose, Phillippine Duck, Puna Teal, Red Breasted Goose, Red Crested Pochard, Ringed Teal, Rosy Billed Pochard, Ruddy Headed Goose, Ruddy Shelduck, Sharp Winged Teal (Speckled teal), South African Shelduck, South African Yellow Billed Duck, Spotted Whistling Duck & White Cheeked Pintail

Sounds like you had a very good time. The Brent Goose at MMWWT is the first for about 6-7 years. Interesting that you got this in two locations. It may have followed you around.

Does any one have any idea where that Snow Goose is nowadays and are there any Bewick Swans in Lancashire or nearby at the moment? Been a long time since I saw a Bewicks.

sorry about the delayed reply but @Himalaya I didn't see the Dark Bellied Brent Goose at Martin Mere it arrived after we had left it was reported on another thread as being seen around 4.45pm we left at 4pm but will be returning early next year to both locations again.

Planning a trip to see Bonepartes Gull on Saturday. Could anyone give me some advice as to where to park please????

Park where indicated in the link below. Cross the road and walk west along the footpath until you reach the sea. The bird will probably be on the rocks in front of you (Red Nab) or further north, along the harbour wall, at the outfall. Try visiting around high tide as this will restrict the areas it can land.

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?X=340787&Y=459157&A=Y&Z=115

Cheers
Jonathan

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back