• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kapiti island NZ (1 Viewer)

James Lowther

Does anyone have any idea why Kapiti island features on so few NZ trip reports? It looks pretty good to me!
Is it because of the difficulty in getting there/getting permits? Because there's nothing to see there that you can't get at tiritiri matangi, pureora etc? Or is it because it's not that good...?

Has anyone actually been and had good experiences? Anyone stayed overnight and tried to see the little spotted kiwis?

Basically, does anyone know anything about it at all?!!

Cheers,
James

James Lowther said:
just a bump in the vain hope someone might know something??

My knowledge of Kapiti is very old but since you've bumped it, I'll bite!

It certainly used (1980s) to be seen as less exciting than Little Barrier, as for example if I remember correctly it didn't have Stitchbird. I think it still had brown rats then and that limited what it had and its potential for reintroductions, but Saddleback had just been released when I was there and they were great. Kakas were coomon, Wekas would untie your shoelaces- all that good stuff was there.

Since then NZWS has I think dealt with the rats and some of of the real NZ treasures like the wondrous Kokako are now there.

How visitable it is these days I don't know- day trips yes, but whether you can stay long enough to connect with all the goodies I don't know.

Ed K

James Lowther said:
Has anyone actually been and had good experiences? Anyone stayed overnight and tried to see the little spotted kiwis?

Basically, does anyone know anything about it at all?!!
James,

I'm off to NZ over Christmas and am booked up to go to Kapiti at the beginning of January, stopping overnight. I'm doing this because I couldn't get accommodation on Tiri (although going there for a day trip) and so Kapiti offers my only chance of LS Kiwi outside of a zoo. I believe chances of LSK are as good any anywhere (perhaps better, since population on the island is quite high), however, as with anywhere on NZ, you have to contend with the weather... Good back-up for Tiri, too - just in case something gets missed.

If you're looking to plan a trip out there later in '07, PM me at the end of January (if you haven't got the info you need) and I'll let you know how I got on.

Mark

thanks mark that would be great.
I have been to NZ (and tiritiri) before, but am only there for a limited time in march (holiday tagged on to a business trip). As i'll be based in the central part of the country i thought kapiti would be good to try, also i didn't see kaka on my last trip. Would be nice to know if LSK is easy there?
How was it working the logistics (permits/transport/accommodation)? I have all the websites but would be interested to know how it was in practise?
thanks,
James

Kapiti

James Lowther said:
thanks mark that would be great.
I have been to NZ (and tiritiri) before, but am only there for a limited time in march (holiday tagged on to a business trip). As i'll be based in the central part of the country i thought kapiti would be good to try, also i didn't see kaka on my last trip. Would be nice to know if LSK is easy there?
How was it working the logistics (permits/transport/accommodation)? I have all the websites but would be interested to know how it was in practise?
thanks,
James

Hi,

I think Kapiti island is far away from other highlights e.g. Ulva island and Tiritiri Matangi.
For Kaka a good spot is also Whirinaki Forest ( Te Urewera NP ).

Best regards
Dieter

Just returned from NZ.

Cant help on Kapiti Island, but we saw Kaka in Pureora Forest and heard them!!

We also had much better views in South Island it has to be said.

Mark
A word of warning re Tiri - go on the large ferry as we were booked on a smaller boat and the weather was so rough we couldn't land!!

For more information may I recommend

http://www.naturequest.co.nz/

They were our ground agents in NZ and were brilliant!!

Some birding companies are reluctant to include it in their itineraries because of the unpredictability of access but is well worth a visit.During a 3 month trip last year it was the only place I saw New Zealand Pipit and Long-tailed Cuckoo as well as superb views of Takahe and Red-crowned Parrots.I was staying with friends in Paraparaumu at the time and had to wait several days because of the apparently regular equinoctal storms.Permits are easily obtained at any tourist office where staff check the weather forecast and contact the boatman to ascertain the possibility of the next day`s trip taking place.Kaka will eat out of your hand if you let them on the climb to the summit.

Have now been returned several months from my overnight trip to Kapiti island and have to say it was superb.
birds seen (mostly seen very well) include
Kaka, Red-crowned Parakeet, Weka, Takahe, NZ Pigeon, Tui, Bellbird, Stitchbird, Saddleback, North Island Robin, Tomtit, Whitehead, NZ Pipit, Grey Warbler, Arctic Skua, Morepork, Little Blue Penguin, and of course,
Little Spotted Kiwi!!
was very lucky to get 5-6 pretty good views on the night walk - although this level of success is apparently unusual.

Arranging permits, accomodation and transport is also pretty straitforward.

So to answer my own question, definitely worth it if you can get there.

James

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back