• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Isles of Scilly Birding (1 Viewer)

One that slipped away!

You were right about the westerlies Joe, unfortunately the Mega was found Dead this morning!! Still American BB Pipit and American G Plover are still a good start.

Full updates on all todays Scilly sightings at Cornwall Birding website.

Hi Conorbirda2 - Paul

Am on a long w/e in Newquay this w/e...have a day's birding on Saturday and have hired my own car for the day... have planned on seawatching on St Ives Island - ought to be able to leave Newquay circa 9am....

I know its all dependant on the weather but if you have any better ideas I'd be grateful for any suggestions - I know the usual birding places....

whoops wrong place...will copy to Cornwall!

Last edited:
No change in the cast today. BB PIPIT and AG PLOVER still present. The Nighthawk was on display at the Scillonian Club last night, did anyone get any photos of it?

18 days to go!

No change in the cast today. BB PIPIT and AG PLOVER still present. The Nighthawk was on display at the Scillonian Club last night, did anyone get any photos of it?

18 days to go!

Hi Paul,

The Warks birders (The Bumbling Bears) have a cpl of photos on their site (They'll be on the Scillies till the end of the month with plenty of updates)

http://www.bumbling-bears.fotopic.net/p54071923.html

All the best,

Dave

Fingers crossed the biggie turns up over the next few days. Scillies are definitely due!
Fair few biggies in Cornwall right now!
Red-eyed Vireo and Backpoll Warbler now on St Agnes, so the yanks are definitely arriving on Scilly. Wonder what's yet to be found...

Fair few biggies in Cornwall right now!
Red-eyed Vireo and Backpoll Warbler now on St Agnes, so the yanks are definitely arriving on Scilly. Wonder what's yet to be found...

They arent the biggies though really, both annual more or less.

They arent the biggies though really, both annual more or less.
I was referring to the Alder/Willow Flycatcher and Common Nighthawk in Cornwall as 'biggies'. Blackpoll and Red-eyed Vireo are as you say annual, but surely they're a sign of things to come on Scillies?

Got back yesterday after a great week[ as usual]. Got everthing I went for, eventhough I sometimes held off to the next day[plover]. I think you should be ok for the Sociable, I can see it hanging around. Some say that it looks unwell, thats only cos they look at it for 30 secs then walk off. Stay for 10mins and it walks around feeding.
Only had one tick, Blyths Reed. I spent a whole day waiting for the Bryher bird last year and never saw it, only took a few mins this time. One of the best things was finding a Richards Pipit with my mate while on St Martin's on Tue.

Hope you have a good week.

Got back yesterday after a great week[ as usual]. Got everthing I went for, eventhough I sometimes held off to the next day[plover]. I think you should be ok for the Sociable, I can see it hanging around. Some say that it looks unwell, thats only cos they look at it for 30 secs then walk off. Stay for 10mins and it walks around feeding.
Only had one tick, Blyths Reed. I spent a whole day waiting for the Bryher bird last year and never saw it, only took a few mins this time. One of the best things was finding a Richards Pipit with my mate while on St Martin's on Tue.

Hope you have a good week.

I went for it yesterday myself. Were you on the boat back? We watched the plover for about 20-30 mins and it did nothing but move its head. The gc thrush showed brilliantly. The plover is probably just getting some rest during the day, they are nocturnal feeders i'm led to believe.

Anyway, couldnt risk it snuffing it before i got there next saturday.

As Paul says, the GC Thrush and the Plover gave excellent views. Just 6 days to go!
Both shots digiscoped.

Attachments

• GCThrush.jpg
    GCThrush.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 70
  • Sociable Plover.JPG
    Sociable Plover.JPG
    79.4 KB · Views: 61
Well done joe, excellent pics.
Paul- Came back on a early plane on Sat, then called for the Yellow legged Gull (good for a armchair tick in the future) and also picked up Med Gull. Had a quick look at Lands End before the long drive home.
I'll expect to see lots of new birds reported while you are on, no first for GB please, I can't afford to twitch the Scilly!! lol.

No sign of the Plover, but Red-flanked Bluetail, Bobolink, Olive-backed Pipit, Blyth's Reed Warbler, Grey-cheeked Thrush, Little Bunting and 2 White-rumped Sandpipers present on the islands. Plenty of scarce also around, with Yellow-browed Warbler, Red-breasted Flycatcher, Hawfinch, Pectoral Sandpiper, Spoonbill etc all knocking about. Roll on Saturday!

Last edited:
What a great week. Wouldn't have predicted Snowy Owl!! Theres a short trip reports and photos of Owl etc on Cornwall Birding website now, more to be added soon. Look out for the new Isles of Scilly Bird Group website hopefully starting on 1st January 2009!

Had Bittern and Purple Sandpiper yesterday (both Scilly Ticks!) but very windy today so spent the morning updating the website! Back on the mainland tomorrow!

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back