• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Interesting spots in Netherlands ? (1 Viewer)

albatross02

Hello,

when is the best time for Netherlands ?
( how is June to August )

Where are the most interesting spots e.g.g sea birds, waders ?

Where can I book guided tours ( daily tours or 2 - 4 days ) ?

Thank You very much.

Best regards
Dieter

Hello,

A bit too broad question...

There are lots of good spots - whole Waddensee from Den Oever to the German border, Lauwersmeer, Oostwaardersplassen, Delta, Naardermeer, Veluwe (thats for Britons who need Black Woodpeckers and Crested Tits)...

I am sure there are guided tours, but most people go for themselves. Just check the site called waarneming.nl and look at "species" and "excursion planner".

All year is good - I think in holiday period, September would bring already clouds of waders to the Waddensee. But frankly, I saw lots of birds there even outside the so-called migration periods.

For seabirds, you must check windsurfing sites, because passage is spectacular only during storms. This is something you can plan only few days in advance. People seawatch all over W Dutch coast. BTW, Pterodroma Adventures organizes small pseudo-pelagic trips in autumn.

If you decide to go, drop me a note, we may well go birding together (sorry, I chronically lack time, I cannot commit myself now to give you a tour).

Hello,

thank You for the advices.

How is about combination railway/plane and bycicle, which are the best place for this style of birding ?
( or is it good for all places because Netherland is an excellent cycling country )

Best regards
Dieter

A bit late maybe: renting bicycles is possible at many train stations. Taking your bike on the train is forbidden during rush hours and is quite expensive. Unfortunately, renting a bicycle is a bit more difficult/expensive for foreigners than for Dutchmen!

Most places in the Netherlands are excellent for cycling + birding, and in many places I'd recommend cycling over taking a car and having to walk long distances (e.g. most of the coast, Oostvaardersplassen).

Further to this, we will be in the Amsterdam area for a few days in November. Does anyone have any suggestions as to good places to visit at that time either by bicycle or train then bicycle?
Thanks
Tony

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back