• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Independant Travel (1 Viewer)

Steve Arlow

United Kingdom
I am batting a few ideas around for a trip in 2011, in advance so I can do some decent planning, and just wanted to know how easy it is for independant travel and birding, i.e. without going on an organised tour.

Although Japan doesn't offer a huge number of new birds to me there are some that are clearly an attraction, the eagles and cranes on Hokkaido are a given but I'm also keen on getting the winter gulls and a trip out for albatrosses.

Is travel/driving easy enough for a non Japanese speaking visitor and making bookings.

any help or suggestions would be very much welcomed

many thanks in advance

I am batting a few ideas around for a trip in 2011, in advance so I can do some decent planning, and just wanted to know how easy it is for independant travel and birding, i.e. without going on an organised tour.

Although Japan doesn't offer a huge number of new birds to me there are some that are clearly an attraction, the eagles and cranes on Hokkaido are a given but I'm also keen on getting the winter gulls and a trip out for albatrosses.

Is travel/driving easy enough for a non Japanese speaking visitor and making bookings.

any help or suggestions would be very much welcomed

many thanks in advance

Hopefully you have caught up with some useful trip
reports (PM me if not, or browse down in this sub-forum for links)

some short answers in the meantime

- travel/driving is easy enough

- but making bookings can be very difficult for a non Japanese speaking visitor: often you find that even when you are dealing with someone who speaks reasonable English, he/she is too shy to use it and emails tend to be left unresponded to

- the trip out for albatrosses that you refer to is very hard to procure, if by that you mean a dedicated pelagic like the one tacked on to the end of Birdquests biannual trip, but of course the ferries are straightforward enough and once aboard it is a matter of luck and perseverance (S t Albatross is seen more often from the southern ferries)

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back