• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hungary, lots of info needed (1 Viewer)

Nick-on

Off to sunny Hungary on the 11th and with one thing and another left a lot of the planning until now. Basic idea is to drive to Aggtelek spend a day or two there then on to Hortobagy for a couple of days (only a 5 day trip). Target birds are the usual, Woodpeckers and Raptors. Don't expect we will get any owls as it's a bit late in the year but hopefully should bump into a few other good birds as well.

What I would like is any recent gen on locations (eg I have heard that imperial eagle can be seen from a picnic site on/near the motorway, but which one?) also any good hotels in either area.
Plus what is the driving time from Budapest airport to Aggtelek and from Aggtelek to Hortogagy and..........everything else that I've forgot.

thanks

Nick

Imperial Eagle, Saker and Rock Thrush can be seen in Slovakia just few km across the border. Google imperial eagles in slovakia birding trip report.

Hi Nick-on,
I usually go to Hungary in April/May or in autumn, but you should still be able to see the raptors.
Imperial Eagle: Good places are Balmazujvaros (about 20km west of Debrecen). In the town take the road south to Hajduszoboszlo and look around after the town. We also saw Saker here.
The road from Balmazujvaros west to Tiszacsege is also very good for raptors, including Imperial Eagle and Saker. This road crosses the northern part of the National Park.
I don't know Aggetelek, but I do know the Zemplen Mountains, north of the Hortobagy. The northern part is the best one for woodpeckers (I guess you are interested in White-backed). From Tokaj (which has now a motorway, unfortunately, which destroyed all the good places for Corncrakes) go northeast to Sarospatak and towards Slovakia. Don't cross the border and continue to the villages of Mikohaza and Palhaza. Turn left there to Kishuta. This area is popular for hungarian tourists and well signed. From Kishuta there is a road through the forest to Ujhuta and Haromhuta, perhaps you have to ask. Stop around the road and walk in the beautiful forests. Around Ujhuta (on the top of the road) Ural Owls are breeding, but without guide they are hard to find. Also Imperial Eagle is breeding in the area. From Haromhuta you can drive back southwards to Tokaj (and try some of the famous wine).
It can all be done without guides, but if you are interested I made very good experience with the Aquila group, local birders who also organise tours. If you want check there website: www.aquila-tours.hu

Nice trip

André

Hi

We had a particularly memorable trip to Hunary in May/June 03, all the more special as it was our 1st dedicated birding trip abroad.

Went with The Travelling Naturalist. I can echo claims that the Sarospatak region & Zemplen Hills was particularly good for woodpeckers & Ural Owls.

To help with the other part of your trip, we stayed at Hotel Trofea, a hunting style lodge just outside of Nadudvar. It was well placed for accessing the various parts of the Hortobagy & had its own fishing pools with Little Bittern visible every morning from the Hotel's carpark! The grounds were also good for orioles, nightingales, night herons & Long Eared Owls. We even got Barred Warbler on one of the early morning walks around the grounds.

Highly recommended but may be difficult to get into, as I'd guess tour companies book it regularly.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back