• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How's your 2021 list going? (2 Viewers)

Had a fantastic morning yesterday at my local patch the Wiowash trail, with 15 species of warbler and 3 species of vireo, a personal best for me for that site. Best of all was a Yellow-throated Warbler, a uncommon bird for Wisconsin in general (a small number breed in the far south of the state), and a particularly rare bird for the Fox Valley, so it managed to be a county as well as state bird.

A trip up to the German/Dutch border around the Dollart and generally Ost Friesland let me enjoy large flocks of waders, a large gathering of Spoonbills, Harriers, more Buzzards than you could shake a stick at and generally excellent birding and good weather with 96+ species added the following:

162 Great Grey Shrike
163 Grey Plover
164 Eurpean Gold Plover
165 Common Sandpiper
166 Grey Partridge
167 Eurasian Spoonbill (Guesstimated 250+ at Greetsiel)
168 Common Ringed Plover
169 Curlew Sandpiper
170 Little Ringed Plover
171 Sanderling
172 Bar-tailed Godwit
173 Ruddy Turnstone
174 Sandwich Tern
175 Little Tern

This afternoon I got 2 year birds, 1 being a lifer:

125. Tennessee Warbler
126. Gray-cheeked Thrush

With Tennessee Warbler, I now have seen all of the 22 warbler species on my life list in 2021, except Louisiana Waterthrush

I had the best day birding of my entire life today. I got 50 species, which included 13 species of warbler, 10 shorebird species, 13 new Ohio birds and 10 lifers. Don't give me credit for the shorebirds, though. A very nice and helpful guy found them for me with his scope and identified them for me as well.

Englewood Metropark:

127. Pectoral Sandpiper
128. Stilt Sandpiper
129. Least Sandpiper
130. Semipalmated Sandpiper
131. Semipalmated Plover
132. Wilson's Snipe
133. Greater Yellowlegs
134. Golden-winged Warbler (probably my best bird of the year since they are rare in my area)
135. Red-shouldered Hawk
136. Bay-breasted Warbler
137. Barred Owl (heard only)

Plus 3 more Ohio lifers:
Ovenbird
Canada Warbler
Chestnut-sided Warbler

Last edited:
Earlier this month in Hortobagy National Park:

194. Peregrine Falcon
195. Short-toed Snake-Eagle
196. Corn Bunting
197. Northern Wheatear
198. Spotted Redshank
199. Dunlin
200. Common Ringed Plover

I'm currently in Bielefeld, Germany for a few weeks and I picked up another last night:

201. Eurasian Eagle-Owl

Been a very hot and busy summer where virtual meetings meant virtually no birding, but a couple nice outings, including today:

In June, a morning in Playa del Rey:
269. Least Tern
270. Pelagic Cormorant
271. Green Heron
272. Bell's Vireo

Sierra Nevadas in August:
273. Prairie Falcon (en route in the Central Valley)
274. Steller's Jay
275. MacGillivray's Warbler
276. Pacific-slope Flycatcher
277. Rufous Hummingbird

September Pasadena flocks:
278. Red-masked Parakeet (lifer)
279. Red-lored Parrot

And today in LA's South Bay:
280. Red-footed Booby (lower 48 lifer)
281. Elegant Tern
282. Pectoral Sandpiper (CA lifer)
283. Blackpoll Warbler (CA lifer)

Last edited:
(Highland Oaks Park)
388. Scarlet Tanager
389. Tennessee Warbler
390. Prothonotary Warbler
391. Baltimore Oriole
392. Least Flycatcher

Last edited:
Today I flew to Washington State for a five-day birding trip. Most of the day was spent traveling, but I was able to do a little birding in the late afternoon. I found two new birds for the year.

317. Steller’s Jay
318. Chestnut-backed Chickadee

Dave

(Corkscrew Swamp Sanctuary & Serenity Park)
393. Brown-headed Nuthatch
394. Red-headed Woodpecker

(Tropical Park)
395. Philadelphia Vireo

Fall Migration has actually been better for me than Spring for me, which usually isn't the case. Last couple of weeks I have added Gray-cheeked Thrush, Blue-headed Vireo, and Lincoln's Sparrow, amongst others.

My first full day birding in Washington, with a slight detour into Oregon. I added eleven birds to my Year List, including a lifer (in bold).

I started out in Washington:

319. Western Gull
320. Heermann’s Gull
321. Pacific Wren
322. Glaucous-winged Gull

Then I crossed the Columbia River into Oregon:

323. Brandt’s Cormorant
324. Black-throated Gray Warbler
325. California Scrub Jay

Then back into Washington:

326. Pelagic Cormorant
327. American Herring Gull
328. Marbled Godwit
329. Surf Scoter

Dave

Hueston Woods State Park/Hueston Woods State Nature Preserve:

138. Ring-billed Gull
139. Cape May Warbler. I found two very drab first-year females, but luckily I got excellent close-up views and identified them with ease.
140. Osprey
141. Common Loon. I heard it call on the lake and found it a couple minutes later. According to the Ohio annotated checklist, Common Loons are rare in the first week of October.

My third day in Washington. I added eleven birds to my Year List, including a lifer (in bold).

330. Golden-crowned Sparrow
331. Anna’s Hummingbird
332. Bar-tailed Godwit
333. Willet
334. Black Turnstone
335. Common Murre
336. Sooty Fox Sparrow
337. Black-bellied Plover
338. Dunlin
339. Greater White-fronted Goose
340. Hudsonian Whimbrel

Dave

On the westside of LA for an LAX dropoff, so stopped by the beach before the rain:
284. Ruddy Turnstone
285. Wandering Tattler
286. Vesper Sparrow
287. Yellow-crowned Night-Heron

My fourth day in Washington. I added ten birds to my Year List, including a lifer (in bold).

341. Harlequin Duck
342. Pacific Loon
343. Marbled Murrelet
344. Red-necked Grebe
345. Sanderling
346. Short-billed Gull
347. Pigeon Guillemot
348. Cackling Goose
349. California Quail
350. American Dipper

Dave

Today was my last day in Washington. I fly home tomorrow. Because I had to make the long drive from the north coast of the Olympic Peninsula to Seattle, I was only able to bird until the early afternoon. As a result, I added only one bird to my Year List.

351. White-winged Scoter

All in all it was a great trip. I saw a total of 96 species, of which 35 were new birds for the year and three were lifers. And the Olympic Peninsula has some magnificent mountain scenery and amazing rain forests, unlike anything I’ve seen before.

The downside was that I was scheduled to take a pelagic trip out of Westport on Sunday, but it was cancelled due to rough seas. Therefore I missed a lot of pelagic species, including four potential lifers.

Dave

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back