• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Highgate-Waterlow Park (3 Viewers)

I haven't seen anything of general interest in the park recently, its usually dark or the gates have been locked.

Since New years day a Reed Bunting has been locally a good sighting, and I also had cracking views of a Nuthatch lit up by the sunrise. Apart from that just odd sightings of Cormorant, Siskins, Lesser Redpoll, Sparrowhawk and Blackcap have been the highlights.

I did have 10 minutes or so of 7 Waxwings down past Muswell Hill, over my house then hanging around close to a berryless bush next a nearby warehouse.. A welcome sight though the buggers had scarpered as I went through the rigmarole of getting my camera set up.

May go to London soon so il keep a watch around and see what I find :)

There's lots of good birds around London at present. Get on the London birder site.

I went down to Hyde Park today for the Bearded Tits. Unbelievable views to be had.Most birders were stood back quietly, but the constant stream of joggers, dog walkers and strollers were ignored by the birds.

Bearded tit edit final.jpg

I managed some reasonable pictures. Still learning about the camera so hopefully better to come.

There's lots of good birds around London at present. Get on the London birder site.

I went down to Hyde Park today for the Bearded Tits. Unbelievable views to be had.Most birders were stood back quietly, but the constant stream of joggers, dog walkers and strollers were ignored by the birds.

View attachment 425008

I managed some reasonable pictures. Still learning about the camera so hopefully better to come.

Nice photo.

My first trip to London of the year this week, and these beautiful little birds became my target species once I'd read they were around. And as you say, very easy to see, and seemingly unconcerned by passers-by! And for me, a lifer!

Nice to see several shoveler on the ponds too!

Cheers Lazza. Thats the best view I've ever had of Bearded Tits in 25 years or so. It used to send me cross-eyed trying to pick them out of reedbeds from afar.

As its gradually becoming lighter I've found a couple of reasonably good birds for the park though nothing to shake Birdforum to its foundations.

A Skylark went over on Monday morning, and 2 Meadow Pipits yesterday. There was a female Shoveler lurking in the gloom last week on one of the unfrozen parts of the middle pond. Though the morning bread feeding ritual, which involves clapping, halloo-ing, carrier bag waving and the heaving of chunks of Hovis at the ducks probably caused it to move on quickly. A couple of Jackdaws were also of interest.

Of interest to me were a set of Fox tracks in the ice leading to one of the islands used to roost on. A little bit risky as the ice was slightly slushy in parts and there appeared to be a couple of points at which it had broken through.

There have also been good sightings, probably due to the hard weather, of a lot of the commoner or more regular birds. Nuthatch, LT Tit and a couple of Lesser Redpoll have shown closely. There have been a few Siskins around too.

At the moment I'm enjoying the ever increasing water level as it threatens to break the lower ponds banks. Never a dull moment eh?

A livelier morning than of late. A noisy flock of 15 + Lesser Redpolls, plus a small flock elsewhere in the park was notable. Also 3 Siskins , a few Greenfinches, Goldfinches and the usual small Chaffinch flock.

There was a reasonable mixed flock of Tits, which loosely included a female Blackcap and at least 2 poorly seen Goldcrests. I had a good long stare at the reedbed, the Hyde park Bearded tits have given me renewed hope of something good in there, tiny though it is.

I saw a Peregrine yesterday chasing a Pigeon over the hospital. Possibly the Alexandra park male though I hope not. It would be a pleasure to see one of these around the area on a daily basis.

Also this morning, a lady approached me to tell me her dog picked up what sounded very like a (dead) Woodcock during the recent snow.

Yesterday was pretty much birdless in the snow, though a set of rabbit prints was unusual. There used to be a few on the Heath, though this was probably somebodies pet.

This morning, crunching through the now frozen snow, I put up a drake Teal from the middle pond. An addition to my Waterlow list, and giving a slight air of respectability to the list of ducks seen here.

It had relocated to the lower pond where I snapped off a couple of crap record photo's on my knackered old camera as its batteries gave out. Before it disappeared into the reedbed I may have imagined a little bit more white on the bird than expected. I had a wander round to see if I could get a better view but it must have been skulking well down.I hope the buggers still there tomorrow.

Otherwise the regular Heron was around and 2 Redwing feeding on a boggy area where the springs break through. I had to leg it to work then having spent too long waiting for the Teals reappearence.

Last edited:
Ach! I've checked the crappy photos on the laptop and its a standard handsome drake Teal, with a faint white mark a la Carolinensis. Probably an effect from the camera. I'll have a go at uploading for curiosity value when I work out how to reduce its size.

Strange how a bird I've seen thousands of times before over the years, suddenly takes on thrilling rarity status on a small, urbanish patch.

Around 7.50 am 1 singing male Firecrest in a small patch of conifers near the old cages. Once again tried to post on London Birder without luck. It works occasionally but very slowly.

Also a couple of Goldcrests, several Siskins , a couple of Lesser Redpoll, Green Woodpecker, small build up of Tufted ducks.

Recently a regular Grey Heron, Sparrowhawk, a Rook over Highgate woods and an extremely pale Cormorant over the village.

First Chiffchaff of the spring calling this morning and a couple of Green Woodpeckers. Also a Common Buzzard above Highgate heading Eastish.

The last month or so has been fairly uneventful in reporting terms. I watched a Waxwing from my back window last weekend, flying around calling in heavy snow. I now have lots of blurred photos of snowflakes and treetops as a memento.

No sign of Ouzel though the park was much busier and I only had time for a quick look. First calling Chiffchaff of the spring , though I've been away for a while.

Yellow Wagtail on the playing field behind Highgate woods, 3 House Martins over Highate village. In the park itself, a pair of Blackcaps, 25 Tufted Duck, Green Woodpecker, a calling Chiffchaff from the cemetery and a distant snatch of song that may have been Whitethroat.

The usual park residents were in full song today but nothing out of the ordinary.

I noted somebody on the London birders website mentioning Greenfinches being in good numbers this year and its something I've also observed. Even close to my home in Muswell hill I've seen and heard a fair few and we also have higher than usual numbers of Chaffinches around. Hopefully this mirrors a nationwide recovery.

A Treecreeper was a good record towards the cemetery gates, 35 Tufted duck is a record for me here and a pair of Stock doves as always a pleasure to see. I saw a couple of Swallows over Muswell Hill this morning. A bit slow here considering how many I was watching in the Cambridgeshire fens last weekend (plus Sand Martins, Warblers galore and several Common Terns, plus a flyover Cuckoo).

Another glorious morning, with plenty of birdsong including the 26 + Tufted duck all making that odd gabbling sound. There was a Garden Warbler unconcernedly feeding in low trees by the bottom pond. No Chiffchaffs calling though, I had 2 here just over a week ago but nothing since. I found a very yellow warbler feeding up high in a Sycamore but couldn't see enough of it to ID well.

The junction by Highgate tube gives a good view of a wide stretch of sky and as I waited for the lights to change 2 Swift were overhead. Always a reassuring sight though in markedly less numbers than I remember a few years back.

Yesterday I watched a tatty Whitethroat (possibly bathing) at a small park just off the North Circular/Colney hatch lane. In the 10 minutes I was in the area I watched 2 Kestrels, a Grey Heron successfully fishing in the small pond, Mallard, Moorhen,Pied Wagtail and a couple of House Martins. A small oasis by an unlovely road.

A male Bullfinch atop a Cherry tree full of blossom was a welcome sight this morning. Also around 40 Tufted duck, mainly on the lower pond. I think thats my record here. Still no Chiffchaffs.

Finally the Chiffchaffs made their presence known this week. I had 3 calling this morning though there could be more towards Highgate cemetery. Also 2 Blackcaps , a Garden Warbler yesterday, over 30 Tufted duck most days, Sparrowhawk, a couple of Jackdaws and the usual residents.

Also a fine Tawny owl roosting, before the Magpies noticed, on a sparsely blossomed Cherry tree off Colney Hatch lane, Muswell Hill (6am).

A lunchtime walk down to Hampstead Heath was enlivened by a Hobby passing over the Conservation pond area.

Yesterday there was a pair of Linnets in Waterlow park, another good local bird. I heard 2 calling Chiffchaff this morning and there was a Willow warbler in the trees by the wooden shelter.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back