• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Highgate-Waterlow Park (2 Viewers)

I didn't have time for a full update this morning and still don't as I'm one finger typing whilst trying to eat my lunch.

I located two Crossbills by call initially, then after 5 minutes of peering managed to get good views (albeit their underside)high up in the trees at the top of the slope in front of the top pond. They then flew down to the trees next to the Middle pond for anothe 5 minutes before heading off towards the garden/ aviary side of the park. One female and I think the other was a juvenile.

There were a few other interesting birds to be seen. Two Garden Warblers, a Willow Warbler and a Chiffchaff in the area around the lower pond. From the decking of the lower pond I often get good views of small birds in the park as they seem to feel undisturbed in this area and come out into the open long enough to have a good look.

Again the juvenile Green Woodpecker is still "tame" enough to provide cracking close-ups. Also a couple of Great spotted woodpeckers are calling around the area.

On the ponds I've definitely worked out three broods of Tufted duck, the smallest being Collared dove size, the largest fully grown. There may be four or more though, never know whats lurking behind the reedbed island.

The Grey Wagtails remain around the hospital. At least two though fleeting glimpses most of the time.
I also heard a Redshank going over Muswell Hill last night around 10 ish.

There's an area of waste ground at the junction of Colney Hatch lane and the North Circular. I've never seen anybody on there and it looks suitably abandoned with a swampy area, thistles, strange hillocks and plenty of trees, to be of interest. I've seen a Hobby over there one autumn so always have a peer over the wall on the way back from the mind-numbing tedium of a hungover Tesco shop, in the hope that something's dropped in. Which generally hasn't happened. Today however there was a couple of superbly lit Yellow Wagtails. They were flycatching in the sunshine as if in an idyllic cattle trampled pasture, instead of a grotty bit of scrubby roadside real estate.

Also had an immature Little Gull sat in a slick of sewage on the Thames yesterday after the dramatic thunderstorms that hit Central London. Always a pleasure to catch up with one of these beauties.

An early visit to the park this morning brought me a Spotted Flycatcher by the Central shelter. Seems to have been something of an influx to the area so it was good to watch one at Waterlow. I was joined by a lady walking a Pug who was interested to see what I was watching. The dog put up a Wheatear by the small carpark/Rose garden open area. Still I got nice views of it as it moved over to the adventure type playground. I'm guessing there are probably a lot more of these passing through the park early before the dog walkers turn up. I often managed to find a few on the Heath on late summer/early autumn mornings.

Also a couple of Chiffchaffs and Blackcap in a mixed tit flock. The flock was sizeable so there could have been anything in there as they were spread over the whole lower pond area. Also a calling Nuthatch in the trees bordering the hopsital.

The Tufted ducklings are still surviving, though actively looking for bread. Also a new brood of Mallard has appeared.

Finally managed to see one of the Carp mentioned previously by Archie and also a large Terrapin with a black shell, basking on the fallen tree in the middle pond.

I've only made quick trips through the park this week, and seen the usual birds expected. Nothing wrong with that but not worth mentioning here. Still had a singing Chiffchaff near the cafe grounds on a couple of days though.
This morning though I had great views of a pair of Bullfinches on the pond side of the Kitchen gardens. One of those birds I seem to see less of each year. Plenty of Tufted duck have survived and are now a decent size.

I've been away a few times recently so not much local birding. I went to Upminster to watch my missus flying a microlight at the weekend and enjoyed watching a pair of Yellow wagtails close to the runway. The aerodrome's (Damyns Hall) in a gorgeous spot and conveniently close to Rainham. A quick opportunistic trip made but no joy with the Baillons Crake and we couldn't linger.My missus flew over Rainham so apologies on her behalf for any disturbing of the peace. She got some good photos, I'll have to blow them up, you never know.

I went for a mooch with friends on the Heath yesterday, it was busy as expected, with the usual piles of litter left by ignorant gets, but still a pleasant afternoon. It was a bit busy for birding but my Brother and I enjoyed the sight of a male Peregrine stooping somewhere towards the wilder bit of the Heath. This is the second Peregrine I've seen on the Heath after watching a young bird some years back.

A couple of pints in the Flask in Highgate was enhanced by a Sparrowhawk patrolling the area, a common sight around there these days.

Yesterday evening I watched a late Swift hawking over Highgate road.

This morning in the park there was a frantically diving Little Grebe on the tiny conservation pond. Hopefully it'll relocate to one of the bigger ponds. Also a small influx of finches, mainly Chaffinches, a couple of Greenfinches , Goldfinches flying over and 2 Lesser Redpoll. The last two were in the trees by the middle pond where I often saw them with the Siskin flock last winter.

I was surprised to see one newly hatched Moorhen, no mother in sight so maybe more to come if she's still on eggs. Its been a bumper year for the breeding waterbirds, presumably helped by the reasonable water level and quality, plus more growth on the islands and pond fringes.

Last edited:
Another Spotted Flycatcher, using a branch overhanging the middle pond by the half-submerged tree. I was actually watching the regular Heron when I found the Flycatcher. Nice to see and I might be wrong but there seems to have been a lot of records around London this year. No sign of the Little Grebe, which wasn't looking too happy yesterday. No finch flock today either, though there's plenty of habitat for them to wander around this area.

Also 4 Goldcrest close to the High street gates. I'll be keeping an eye out for Firecrest again.

I heard an unusual call, can't really describe it, I'll have to get the CD's on tonight. Hope the buggers still around tomorrow. I was distracted from this undoubted first for the Western Palearctic by a blow to the head from an unsecured conker. The health and safety in this park is woeful, I'll be wearing a helmet tomorrow.

I may be being cynical, but is the Wallasea island reserve (which looks fantastic) a sop to ease through Boris airport? I sincerely hope not and will hang my weaselly head in shame if proven wrong. Actually I won't. When it comes to politicians, councillors, businessmen, its makes sense to question their motives. Hopefully a salve to the RSPBs reputation, who seem to be taking a bit of a kicking at the moment.

Last edited:
I haven't been in the park much recently, plus on the odd day I had a mooch around there was little of note. Also I've been away in The Netherlands and Norfolk for some "active birding" to borrow a phrase.

Anyway. Yesterday I watched a Hobby around 4pm flying over the hospital towards the Heath. Plus a few House Martins and 3 Swallows.

This morning there were 3 Jackdaws over the junction by Highgate wood as well as 2 Sparrowhawks. Also a Sparrowhawk, a singing Chiffchaff, and 3 Goldcrests in the park itself. A Kestrel over the hospital was notable too.

Today around 07.50 - 8 Redwings, 1 Meadow Pipit, 1 Lesser Redpoll, 5 Siskins, 3 Goldcrests, 1 male Blackcap, brief view of probable Whitethroat in Kitchen gardens.

Recently had a couple of Meadow Pipits over, a female Mandarin on the bottom pond, a regular Nuthatch, Sparrowhawks, a skein of 20- 25 grey geese high over West, a day calling Tawny owl early morning in Highgate Wood.

A quick lunchtime walk brought 2 Bramblings over the kitchen gardens and 5 Lesser Redpoll towards the cemetery. There have also been a few Siskins around this week. A couple of Goldcrests have been showing well, hopefully a Firecrest will join up with them again.

I've not been around much, and when I have its either been barely light or foggy when I've walked through the park.

This morning brought 7 Lesser Redpoll and 5 Siskin close to the Conservation pond. 5 Redwings over towards the cafe and a large scattered tit flock carrying a Chiffchaff and at least 2 Goldcrests. Also had a Treecreeper towards the cemetery for the first time in ages.

There was also an Aytha hybrid, which looks like one present last year. Nothing too specific, just oddly shaped with a reddish tinge to the head, though predominantly Tufted. It wasn't particularly shy so could be one of the London park birds that are reported occasionally.

8 Lapwings over the the tube station this morning around 07.30. A couple of Siskins in the park. I'll be keeping my eyes peeled for Waxwings. Finally got a decent camera!

A female Wigeon yesterday morning, skulking by the bottom of the waterfall, a few Fieldfares over plus Redwings feeding in the holly by the High street gate and a small flock of Siskins close to the middle pond.

Lots of finches in the park this morning including 8+ Siskins , 30 or so Goldfinches and 1 Crossbill. Lots of tit flocks around too, wish I had a bit more time to check them carefully. Possibly had a Kingfisher on the lower pond, just a quick flash out of the corner of my eye around the reedbed.
Also a very photogenic slow flying female Sparrowhawk. No camera on me though.

This is a very interesting London patch thread. Some of the stuff you've seen I haven't managed anywhere in the country let alone yards away from roads I drive along every day. Just in case I ever get the chance to pop into waterlow park do you only see crossbills early in the morning? And what entrance to the park do you use? Also do you ever bird Highgate cemetery nearby?

I'm only really in the park in the morning, usually between 07.50 and 08.40 on the way to work. Its pretty quiet at this time but does get a lot of loose dogs, joggers, kids later on. Like any small urbanish patch there's generally not much in the way of unusual birds to see, which is why I sometimes post a roundup for a week or so.There's a few nice regulars such as the Siskins, and the park seems to pick up similar birds to Hampstead heath and Alexandra Park though obviously in smaller numbers. I doubt Crossbill is regular in the park, there seems to have been a few knocking around the London area the last couple of years but they rarely linger.

I enter on Highgate High street and leave close to the hospital. I only bird the fringes of the cemetery, though I think the Hampstead birders venture that way on occasion.

Little of note recently. A male Blackcap breaking into a short burst of song this morning lightened the gloom. Also 40 + Fieldfares heading Heathwards, with a couple of Redwings in the Holly too.

There were two female Gadwall on the middle pond early last Friday which I managed to put up, presuming they were bread munching Mallard. So much for field craft.

A good sized flock of Siskins were the highlight of my walk through the frozen park this morn Also a few Lesser Redpoll around on and off. Otherwise its on the dark side when I walk through these days, not to mention the bellowing cursing lady feeding the Mallard and gulls each morning.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back