• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hi there. New and need some help (1 Viewer)

Jtolpin

United States
Hi there. I’m in mass, USA. We have a robins nest that appears yearly in our backyard, on our porch. There are always robins that hatch and we enjoy seeing the babies born and then leave.

Within the last month, we saw the nest and one by one the eggs appeared , 4 of them.

We constantly saw mom and papa robin appear, etc…

Then one morning I saw 4 eggs and my wife later in the day saw 1 and the nest was a bit ruffled and scraggly.

It’s high enough up that a cat shouldn’t get to it, and we haven’t see mom or papa since this incident, and then we saw pieces of a blue egg on the ground.

What should we do with the nest and the poor egg? Thank you!

Welcome to Birdforum.

Leave the nest and egg alone. Any interference will cause it to be abandoned and it’s illegal to interfere with a nest which is being used.

Welcome to Birdforum.

Leave the nest and egg alone. Any interference will cause it to be abandoned and it’s illegal to interfere with a nest which is being used.
Oh! I didn’t know. What if the mom/papa don’t come back? I didn’t see feathers or anything in the ground so I’m hoping they made it out, but as for the egg…what becomes of it?

Hi Jtolpin and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators.

I'm sorry to hear your news, sadly it's all a part of observing nature in the raw. I can't guess at what may have intruded on the nest, any number of predators may have been responsible, possibly in order to feed their own young. If you leave it alone they may be back for the other egg. Otherwise the Robin adults may remove it themselves if they decide to re-use the nest for another attempt.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

Hi, welcome to the forum. I think you will find us a friendly and helpful group.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back