• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

helps needed to decide on budget travel to cr vs colombia vs panama (1 Viewer)

May I have any suggestions about which destination would be the easiest for birding on my own? I was already in Ecuador and it was wonderful and very easy to be able to do it on my own. I am deciding between Panama, Colombia or Costa Rica to spend a week. I could use a guide for a day or two maximum and I could also rent a car if it were necessary. I know that Costa Rica is very famous. but also the tours are very expensive. I don't know if anyone has experience and could give me some advice? im trying to save some buck but also to have fun birding as my main priority. . I would prefer if posible sites with feeder as I notice feeder is like more keepers as in forest is some time more difficult. thanks in advance

If your budget includes a rental car, any of the three is wide open, you can easily choose sites and drive between them. Costs vary but most species can be seen without having to visit the priciest locations (generally holds true the world over). If you're seeking to avoid car rental, I cannot speak to the ease of using public transit. I've driven my own vehicle in all three countries and rented in all three... CR is perhaps a bit more expensive than the other two (though Panama City itself is pricey). CR has better highland birding than Panama, Panama better lowland birding than CR. Colombia is generally lower priced than CR or Panama, and has better birding than just about anywhere on earth, but it is so large and there is so much there it is not an apples to apples comparison. You might be able to see more in a short period of time and have a more enjoyable trip in CR or Panamá. I've spent about 4 months in CR, 2 in Panamá, and 7 in Colombia. I would happily go back to any of the three, though I look forward to returning to Colombia more.

I would happily go back to any of the three, though I look forward to returning to Colombia more.
My experience isn't as comprehensive but I've been to all 3 too. I'd vote Colombia. You can restrict your trip to just one bit and see loads in a fairly small area. I think the Santa Marta / Caribbean coast area is an excellent place to start where you don't need your own car.

[You can also do the other 2 without a car: we just went to CR, for example, but it'll be expensive for just one person (hire cars in short supply due to pandemic = extortionate). Many of the Panama places are a bit difficult to access by public transport]

My experience isn't as comprehensive but I've been to all 3 too. I'd vote Colombia. You can restrict your trip to just one bit and see loads in a fairly small area. I think the Santa Marta / Caribbean coast area is an excellent place to start where you don't need your own car.

[You can also do the other 2 without a car: we just went to CR, for example, but it'll be expensive for just one person (hire cars in short supply due to pandemic = extortionate). Many of the Panama places are a bit difficult to access by public transport]
A note on car use in Colombia: some of the best places (Montezuma / upper Santa Marta for example) are not reachable in a regular hired car (and require skill handling a 4 wheel drive) , so you'd depend upon transfers / local support if you want to visit those and have you hire car sitting doing nothing for several days. This may have changed in the meantime, but the road over the western andes to Las Tangaras was attrocious as well when we went there. Most of central Colombia shouldn't be an issue, but take into acocunt that driving times are long.

KR,

Filip

A note on car use in Colombia: some of the best places (Montezuma / upper Santa Marta for example) are not reachable in a regular hired car (and require skill handling a 4 wheel drive) , so you'd depend upon transfers / local support if you want to visit those and have you hire car sitting doing nothing for several days. This may have changed in the meantime, but the road over the western andes to Las Tangaras was attrocious as well when we went there. Most of central Colombia shouldn't be an issue, but take into acocunt that driving times are long.

KR,

Filip
not difficult to get ride up Santa Marta on moto taxi [motorbike] from Minca

It has been over 10 years since I was in Panama and Costa Rica but I did both, quite extensively by bus/backpacking over the course of 2-3 trips. Distances are shorter and you can often just use taxis to get that last few km to/from a reserve or park. Busses can get you to many places and if you only have a week I would honestly suggest Costa Rica or the Canal zone/El Valle in Panama. In CR, Tapanti NP, Braulio Carillo NP, La Selva area are all pretty close together and easy to get to/between without too much travel time and will fill a week. Or Carara NP on the pacific coast and combined maybe with something on Cerro de la Muerte.

Colombia is the country I have the most experience in having spent close to 2 years total time there over many trips. The majority of the country is not so easy to do using public transport with longer distances between birding sites and more difficult access to most. A lot of the reserves are also more expensive to visit/stay at. All in all, I'd say it is more suited to a group of 3-4 people so you can share costs and a longer trip (2 weeks minimum).

If you do go for Colombia, as mentioned above, the Santa Marta/Minca/San Lorenzo ridge area is perhaps the best possibility for budget travel. There is now at least one cheap hotel on San Lorenzo ridge that you can get to by hiring a moto-taxi. If you're travelling light, you can also spend a day walking/birding your way down to mid elevations and stay in one of the places in or above Minca. You can also combine it with bussing out to Riohacha and birding for a day around Camarones. There are flights from Bogota to/from both Santa Marta and Riohacha.

Any of the above options should be relatively straightforward and not too expensive so I guess just see what tickles your fancy most.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back