• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hello from Texas (1 Viewer)

Steve Gross

Hello, everyone. I'm looking forward to being a part of this community.

I'm a fairly serious birder. I do Christmas Bird Counts, Breeding Bird Surveys, and I've done survey work on an endangered species (the Black-capped Vireo) in central Texas.

I love sharing birds with others (I'm a teacher and perhaps I just can't help myself). I also photograph birds and had one of my photos published in "Birder's World" magazine this last year. I've birded in the Rocky Mountain West, Alaska, Washington state, and Arizona. I had a trip planned to Scotland a few summers ago, but the Foot and Mouth problems led my to postpone my trip.

I've read a fair amount about British birders and birding (Bill Oddie, Mark Cocker's new book), and look forward to conversing with you in in these forums (fora? I've forgotten my Latin). I'm very interested in what goes on 'over there,' and would love to share my US adventures with you all.

Good birding,

Steve Gross
Houston, TX, USA

Hi Steve,

I'm a newbee myself, but welcome aboard. Would love to see your photos. I live in Utah. I lived in San Antonio for a year while I completed my Master's degree, but only did a little birding while there. Can you post the "Birder's World" photo?

Hi Steve Gross,

Welcome to Bird Forum. I lived and worked in Houston, TX, way back in 1955. At that time "Birding" was unbeknown to me but 45+ years makes a big difference. Hope to see many of your photos posted at BirdForum soon!

Welcome to Birdforum, Steve :t:

I'm glad that you found your way here. Everyone is pretty friendly here and experience ranges from beginner to some quite knowledgeable members in various fields.

It's a shame that you missed the visit to Scotland, I'd certainly say it is well worth a visit if you have the time, especially in the Spring. There are a couple of articles in the Trip Report Forum of visits to the Aviemore area in the Highlands, one by JohnJ and the other by myself. There are plenty of other good birding areas in Scotland though as I'm sure our members will be willing to tell you, if you don't already have and itinerary planned.

I hope that you do see your way to posting a few of your bird photos as it's always nice to see birds wherever they hale from. You can either post them in the Quick-Pix Gallery or in the Gallery itself where you can have your own album up to a 2 MB limit.

See you around.

Welcome to the Forum, Steve!

Look forward to sharing the joys of birdwatching with you. Hope you make it to Scotland!

Al

Welcome to the Forum Steve.

Ian has said most of it and I think that you will find that this forum is everything you want from a birding forum. There is a wide selection of experience here from the humble beginner to the absolute expert (like yourself by the sound of it)

It is a shame that you missed out on Scotland but just take a look at Ians and my trip reports for Scotland. They may wet your appetite even more. Scotland is a breathtakingly beautiful area with some marvelous birds to compliment it as well. You must go through with your plans to visit there. Who knows, you might get to meet the odd member or two as we do have members based in Scotland.

Please post your photos in the gallery for all to see especially your published one.

I look forward to your future posts.

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back