• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Half day in Geneva (1 Viewer)

Runaround

Hanging In There
I'm taking a business trip to Switzerland in 3 weeks. Based on my current itinerary I have a half day free while in Geneva. Where's the best place to go birding to make the best use of that time? I will have a rental car so I'm not restricted by public transportation.

Hi Runaround

Depends what you want to see. Geneva itself is a good place for waterfowl. From the quais along the lake you can see Mallard, Gadwall, Teal, sometimes Pintails and Shovelers, Red-crested Pochard, Pochard, Tufted Duck, Goosander and Yellow-legged Gulls. This are the common species. Especially from OMC you can also see rarer ones, like Eider Duck. Perle du Lac, Quai Wilson, Jetée des Pâquis, Jardin Anglais, Port Noir and Ruth are the names of the lookouts around the end of Lake of Geneva.
A very nice area is also the Champagne, the landscape around the villages SW of the town of Geneva. The villages are Eaumorte, Athenaz, Sézegnin and Laconnex. The area in between is famous in Switzerland for Little Owls, Stonechat, Corn Bunting, wintering flocks of Yellowhammer and also perhaps Cirl Bunting and Hen Harriers. (Spring would be much better altough).
Another suggestion: Chateau de Chillon (Chillon Castle), near Montreux. 30 Minutes drive from Geneva and a wintering spot for Wallcreeper. But be warned, this beautiful little birds are devishly hard to find.

Homepages which could be helpful:
http://www.oiseaux.ch/birdline/ is an actual list of observations in western Switzerland. (In French, but with pictures)
http://www.chclub300.ch/ is the site of the Swiss Club 300. Links and recent sightings can be found here.
http://www.ornitho.ch/ is the site by Nos Oiseaux, also with recent sightings also of small reserves.

Lake Geneva is always good for vagrants (like Jaegers, different Gulls), so it could be worth to check out this sites.
If you need someone who could guide you: [email protected], and ask there for Lionel Maumary. He is the president of the local society in Lausanne and one of the most profound birders in Switzerland. And he organises tours and trips in Switzerland.

I hope this will help

Greetings from Switzerland
André

wintibird said:
Another suggestion: Chateau de Chillon (Chillon Castle), near Montreux. 30 Minutes drive from Geneva and a wintering spot for Wallcreeper. But be warned, this beautiful little birds are devishly hard to find.
André

I am not very familiar with this part of Switzerland. So I'm glad Wintibird was able to give you some specifics.
While en route to Chillon castle, you might stop at Preverenges (a suburb of Lausanne). There is an artificial island there that might hold some birds.

And for local maps, maybe the Swissgeo site can be helpful: http://www.swissgeo.ch/index.php?SESSID=9f909b2a70d54e0c22314118a0c86bce

It is only available in German and French, but you should have no problems with the address part where you can enter a town name and then get variable scales of maps. They are only covering rather small areas at any one time though.

wintibird said:

Both sites have their advantages and disadvantages. Swissgeo seems faster and it has street names on the maps. However, it seems somewhat less precise. Though I don't think that is a problem for practical use.

Both systems, by the way, do not show the islet at Preverenges yet. So, if you plan to go there, go to the mouth of the Venoge river.

wintibird said:
Another suggestion: Chateau de Chillon (Chillon Castle), near Montreux. 30 Minutes drive from Geneva and a wintering spot for Wallcreeper.

Is it a bird? is it a plane? No, it's Wintibirder doing 200 kmph on the A9. No wonder he has to go everywhere by train these days ...

Fort l'Ecluse is also good for wallcreepers and it's a bit closer to Geneva. Preverenges might be disappointing, since it only really comes into its own in the spring when the level of the lake is relatively low. In winter you're just as likely to find local rarities such as red-necked and slavonian grebes and the odd diver around Geneva itself, or even something mega like a great black-backed gull (gasp!!). Switzerland ain't just alpine choughs, alpine accentors and snowfinches, you know. OTOH, if that's what you want, then a trip up to just about any ski station after the first snow should do the job.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back