• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Habicht for birdwatching? (5 Viewers)

I pulled the habicht trigger! Finally! I saw a good deal and jumped on it. € 835 and new!

I like it a lot! (I am sorry, I will stop with the exclamation marks now) Mostly because of the weight and the looks. The focuser is a bit stiff. When it doesn't get any loser the coming months, I will send it to swarovski to get it fixed. But it's not as bad as I remindered the last time when I tried one. Probably there there is some sample variance.
The glare is not a big issue (not a lot of sun today), but I am used to NL 10x32 and trinovid 8x20 :).

The eyecups are a bit shortish. I know the eyecups of the GA rubber version fit on it, but I bought the Habicht mainly for its looks and character. So no green eyecups on a black bin please.
I can unscrew the eyecups and put some o-rings (or anyhing else) between it and screw the eyecups on it again to make the eyecups 1 or 2mm longer. Anyone has experience with it? Is that a good idea?

I think I have to take some time to really get to know these binoculars. It is not as comfortable as my SLC 8x42 for instance. But I like it a lot! (Sorry, an exclamation mark again.)

The 3D view wasn't really as expected/hoped. Maybe it is more obvious when the sun is shining?

WhatsApp Image 2024-03-11 at 16.05.19 (2).jpeg

I pulled the habicht trigger! Finally! I saw a good deal and jumped on it. € 835 and new!

I like it a lot! (I am sorry, I will stop with the exclamation marks now) Mostly because of the weight and the looks. The focuser is a bit stiff. When it doesn't get any loser the coming months, I will send it to swarovski to get it fixed. But it's not as bad as I remindered the last time when I tried one. Probably there there is some sample variance.
The glare is not a big issue (not a lot of sun today), but I am used to NL 10x32 and trinovid 8x20 :).

The eyecups are a bit shortish. I know the eyecups of the GA rubber version fit on it, but I bought the Habicht mainly for its looks and character. So no green eyecups on a black bin please.
I can unscrew the eyecups and put some o-rings (or anyhing else) between it and screw the eyecups on it again to make the eyecups 1 or 2mm longer. Anyone has experience with it? Is that a good idea?

I think I have to take some time to really get to know these binoculars. It is not as comfortable as my SLC 8x42 for instance. But I like it a lot! (Sorry, an exclamation mark again.)

The 3D view wasn't really as expected/hoped. Maybe it is more obvious when the sun is shining?

View attachment 1563976
Nice acquisition. Super sharp!!

Imo the 3D is there but it doesn’t jump out at you like the large vintage porros. I use the the green eyecups on my 7x42’s and these rubber extensions on my 32’s. These are nice because you can adjust them a bit.

Enjoy

Paul

Attachments

• IMG_7159.jpg
    IMG_7159.jpg
    249 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_7158.jpg
    IMG_7158.jpg
    319.5 KB · Views: 38
I use the the green eyecups on my 7x42’s and these rubber extensions on my 30’s. These are nice because you can adjust them a bit.
I changed 32 to 30 in the quote :). Is there a reason why you have the green eyecups on the 7x42 and not on the 8x30?

I'd like to try these rubber extensions as well. Probably hard to find out where you exactly bought them?
I think I will try this o-ring trick first. If I can add 1 or 2 mm eyecups lenght, that would be sufficient. They are not too wide (I like narrow eyecups), but just a bit too short. If I screw out the eyecups 1 or 2 mm it's perfect. So putting 1 or 2 o-rings between the eyecups and the thread will do the trick, maybe.

Last edited:
Congrats on your acquisition RenierB!

I recently acquired the 8x 30W also.

What a charming little glass.

Amazing optics and great ergonomics. My new reference standard to assess all other compact binos. It is, in my opinion, “Reality through the Looking Glass.”
View attachment 1564324

Best wishes,
Neil.

Thanks!
Yes, very charming. I like it a lot. Eyecups just a little bit too short and the focuser a bit too stiff imo. But I can live with that and both can be solved probably.
I was having a hard time deciding which of the three I'd want, but the size pulled me over the line.

I changed 32 to 30 in the quote :). Is there a reason why you have the green eyecups on the 7x42 and not on the 8x30?

I'd like to try these rubber extensions as well. Probably hard to find out where you exactly bought them?
I think I will try this o-ring trick first. If I can add 1 or 2 mm eyecups lenght, that would be sufficient. They are not too wide (I like narrow eyecups), but just a bit too short. If I screw out the eyecups 1 or 2 mm it's perfect. So putting 1 or 2 o-rings between the eyecups and the thread will do the trick, maybe.
No particular reason , I just had the 42’s first and bought the green eyecups after reading some reviews. Also the 42 has 14mm of eye relief and the 30 has 12mm so the black rubber extenders are more flexible for adjustment. Im not sure where I bought them, it was either Ebay or Amazon.

Im going to be using the 8x30 today with my Nikon SE's. Starting to warm up a bit in NY the last few days.

Paul

Cheers Paul,

It sure is purdy!

Just came back from a long walk with the Habicht in lovely spring sunshine and a brisk wind. Inspirational!

Haven’t seen the Sun in nearly two weeks. Then this intensely bright object appeared in the sky. Is it a UFO? No its our yellow dwarf star! 😆

Enjoy your glassing time!

Regards,

Neil

Excellent choice @ReinierB, a gem amongst bino’s!

I have just bought a pair of Nikon EII 8x30’s to compare against my Habichts, not much in it to be honest but the lack of weather resistance does make for a much smoother focus wheel, the only Habicht disadvantage (for some, doesn’t bother me).

They will be my fair weather bird watchers, the Habichts for everything else and especially when it gets darker or spotting in woods where the Habichts amazing light transmission truly excels.

Enjoy those lovely bino’s.

Do you also have some sort of "solution" to make the eyecups of the Habicht 8x30 more comfortable? Or is it no issue for you?

I just ordered some 2mm thick o-rings. Let's see if they make the eyecups about 1-2mm longer.

Do you also have some sort of "solution" to make the eyecups of the Habicht 8x30 more comfortable? Or is it no issue for you?

I just ordered some 2mm thick o-rings. Let's see if they make the eyecups about 1-2mm longer.
If you are asking me Reinier, no problems at all with the standard eyecups.

But I did land on my head several times when leaving perfectly serviceable aircraft so I may have unusual eyesockets!

Utrinque Paratus!

If you are asking me Reinier, no problems at all with the standard eyecups.

But I did land on my head several times when leaving perfectly serviceable aircraft so I may have unusual eyesockets!

Utrinque Paratus!
Just curious, what binocular do/did the para’s use(d)?

Just curious, what binocular do/did the para’s use(d)?
Whichever ones we could aquire, borrow or steal!

Army issued bino's varied over my career with early Tecnar (Swifts), Avimo's and some dodgy British made bino's made to cost rather than optical excellence and robust use. Rubberised Steiner 8x30's were issued but I never used them and reports mentioned broken hinges and questionable dust/water resistance.

I did see a few Habichts knocking around but I think they were 'liberated' and some rather nice Zeiss binos were found in Port Stanley after hostilities ceased but disappeared and probably ended up on EBay to satisfy collectors and 'Walts'...(Walter Mitty's).

The best issue ones I used were made by Pyser but I personally preferred to use my wonderful little Nikon HGL 10x25's which were robust, optically excellent, very light and most important, compact. No reticules either which I found as useful as a chocolate kettle.

I still have them and apart from an idle rubber eyecup and a few scars, are as good as the day I bought them.

Whichever ones we could aquire, borrow or steal!

Army issued bino's varied over my career with early Tecnar (Swifts), Avimo's and some dodgy British made bino's made to cost rather than optical excellence and robust use. Rubberised Steiner 8x30's were issued but I never used them and reports mentioned broken hinges and questionable dust/water resistance.

I did see a few Habichts knocking around but I think they were 'liberated' and some rather nice Zeiss binos were found in Port Stanley after hostilities ceased but disappeared and probably ended up on EBay to satisfy collectors and 'Walts'...(Walter Mitty's).

The best issue ones I used were made by Pyser but I personally preferred to use my wonderful little Nikon HGL 10x25's which were robust, optically excellent, very light and most important, compact. No reticules either which I found as useful as a chocolate kettle.

I still have them and apart from an idle rubber eyecup and a few scars, are as good as the day I bought them.
Thanks Pat, appreciate it. The little Nikons are highly praised. Never had one in my hands myself though.
Port Stanley…hehehe 👍 1982 … time flies 😐

Users who are viewing this thread

Back